Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Modern Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Cleaning Silver War Nickels

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
LuckyDIme
Valued Member
United States
141 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2010  9:57 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add LuckyDIme to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

The bigger part of my silver nickels are tarnished.
Can these be cleaned or should be left alone?

Moved to main US forum - Sap

Rest in Peace
United States
3039 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2010  10:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add numismo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't clean.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1082 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2010  11:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add WpgLwr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As to tarnish, I think it depends on the colour. Whenever I have silver coins that are turning black, I just wipe them off with nothing more than my finger. The black comes off, and they look better.

Is it wrong to do this?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1256 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2010  06:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ceylon62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Luckydime,
I too have this same ? and have given up on the cleaning venture.

However, I did clean different dates and MM's which my son plans to keep forever (tagged them as such) with dish detergent and arm & hammer baking soda. This brought the shine out. There was some rubbing involved and I am sure the pros here would give me a nice scolding for doing so.

Peace
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3294 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2010  09:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nod2003 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unless they are high grade, they are only worth melt anyways, so cleaning is not as big a deal to me as with numismatic value coins.
Valued Member
United States
154 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2010  10:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fyimo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cleaning coins is never a good idea but for low end silver coins they sell a dip that isn't harsh on coin websites that will shine them up like new without the rubbing. I always try to buy uncleaned coins regardless of age or grade but that's just me.
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
11071 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2010  1:54 pm  Show Profile Check biokemist6's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Billon alloy(composed of <50% silver) coins have a tendency to turn dark grey or black which is why you see so many ugly war nickels. If you have some really ugly common date war nickels only worth silver value and you absolutely feel the need for them to look "better", I would recommend a brief dipping(2-3 seconds) in E-Z-Est followed by a thorough rinse in distilled water. E-Z-Est, aka "coin dip", is composed of sulfuric acid and thiourea and will remove tarnish/toning.

This is not something I recommend lightly and would never recommend it for use by a novice on a coin with any numismatic value because too many people ruin their coins by dipping. Use it too long and do not rinse and you will have a dull, lifeless, and obviously cleaned coin that will more than likely be splotchy at some point in the future from dip residue. However, dipping is preferable to a mechanical cleaning involving rubbing of any kind.

WHEN IN DOUBT, DO NOT CLEAN!
ANA R-3151318
Edited by biokemist6
02/26/2010 2:58 pm
Paraguay
19 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2010  2:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add goossen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As others said, it's always better to not clean.
Cleaning is, in some cases, necessary; but don't be a fan of cleaning, most collectors want their coins original and uncleaned. :)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5970 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2010  3:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eaglefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Yep ! ....... I posted the same exact question here a long time ago.
And I took the same advice.......My bag of 100+ Silver War Nickels are still as black and ugly as the day I got them.....and those that I keep adding to my pile are the same way too.
It's true enough....that if they're only worth melt value anyway......why clean something that most collectors would prefer to be left as is ?..... and most consider cleaning the coin...."ruining" the coin ! So.....there you go !
Leave em' as they are ! ......my vote !
Edited by eaglefoot
02/26/2010 3:48 pm
United States
25 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2010  4:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add seanmiller to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm new to collecting but everything I've ever heard is to leave them alone, better dirty than ruined I guess.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2604 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2010  02:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DNA to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Don't clean War Nickels, clean up those dark common-date later
Jefferson Nickels that you find in your change, so that other
collectors don't get all excited when they see a dark (common)
Nickel in circulation...

I sure as heck can't be the only one on this forum who gets
all excited when they're handed a dark Nickel in their change!

GO: (Coin Collecting is) the only hobby that when you are broke you still have money.

DNA: "When you pay with cash, you KNOW when you're broke."

markn's US Silver Coin Melt Value Calculator
Edited by DNA
02/27/2010 02:05 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5970 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2010  11:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eaglefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Yep !! ....... ... I fall for that EVERY single time !! ..
Then you get the "furrowed brow" look when you discover that it's only a 1988 common date "hard lifer" Jefferson !! ....
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2604 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2010  12:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DNA to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've had a few VG/F 1964-D Nickels that were the exact same shade of
dark grey as the G/VG War Nickels that are typically found in
circulation, and that's just plain evil when they have the
right shade and the right amount of wear to where the obverse looks
'dead-on' until it's close enough to read the date....
GO: (Coin Collecting is) the only hobby that when you are broke you still have money.

DNA: "When you pay with cash, you KNOW when you're broke."

markn's US Silver Coin Melt Value Calculator
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1121 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2010  03:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add neversuited1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
gotta agree with biokemist6. if they are au/unc's take them to your local coin dealer and ask him or her to dip them. most will be happy to do the service knowing that there's a possiblilty of a future sale.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05