Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ever wondered how many wheat cents is still in circulation ?

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
70 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2010  2:14 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Excalibur to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Searching yesterday through the box of pennies I've started wondering how many wheat pennies is still in circulation. So after doing a little research here's what I've found:

- Mint estimates that 140 billions pennies is currently in circulation
- Other sources estimates that this number can be as high as 200 billions
- Various sources estimates that around 1 out of 350 pennies in circulation is a Wheat penny
- My average find in searching boxes is around 1 in 200

So after doing some math that gives between 400 and 700 millions of wheat pennies still in circulation. A lot more than I expected, but on the other hand there's around 310 millions of peoples in the USA which gives between 1.29 and 2.25 Wheat penny per person still in circulation.

Pillar of the Community
United States
565 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2010  2:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add razorear to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are probably more today than 10 or 20 years ago. People are spending what they have.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2677 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2010  2:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just went through 2 boxes and I averaged about the same as you. Even found a rusted '43. 9 Canadians. A few weirdos. I think I'll stick to nics.
Valued Member
United States
420 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2010  2:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add twincam_04 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i just went through 1,900 and found 4 wheats and 3 Canadians - so your average is higher than this box - the other 600 were 2010-P shields
Valued Member
United States
72 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2010  3:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CRH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My bank roll results so far have been pretty consistent with wheats coming in around .5% also.
Valued Member
United States
162 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2010  3:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lorax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the distribution of wheats is uneven across the U.S. Some areas seem to have a higher percentage of older coins than other areas. There is another thread on this forum about percentage of copper pennys (search for Percentages of Copper cents in your area) and it ranges from below 20% to above 30% I'd expect areas with high copper percentages would also have higher wheat percentages.
Valued Member
United States
70 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2010  5:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Excalibur to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
i just went through 1,900 and found 4 wheats and 3 Canadians - so your average is higher than this box - the other 600 were 2010-P shields

My average is over multiple boxes, I've had boxes with only 4 wheat cents but I've had also boxes with 18 wheats in them. But my average is 12-13 wheat cents in box.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2539 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2010  5:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tim Stroud to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have been getting around 10-14 per box. My last box yielded 11.
Pay your taxes! 12 million illegal immigrants are depending on it.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."
Thomas Jefferson

Oldest Circulation Find ----- 1897S Barber quarter
Oldest Detector Find -------- 1803 Large cent

Valued Member
United States
420 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2010  5:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add twincam_04 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
that was my first full box, I have gotten 5.00 at a time so far, I should keep a record, breakdown on wheats/other/copper/zinc- i'll start that now

I'm planning on trying to get a box every week or 2, I don't know if thats possible on my schedule but I'm going to see what I can do
Valued Member
United States
283 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2010  11:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add grime5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i average 5 wheats per box here in kentucky.lately it has been around 8 per box later greg
Pillar of the Community
United States
2533 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2010  12:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gothic Florin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
10 less after this weekend, including a 1919-S I pulled!!
Oldest Found:

Cent: 1899 - Two Cents: 1867 - Nickel: 1916
Dime: 1943 - Quarter: 1964 - Half: 1917

Canadian silver:
Quarter 1966
Pillar of the Community
United States
935 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2010  1:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add okiepb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I probably average 4 - 5 per box, but I wind up w/ more Canadian coins than wheats. And the frustrating part of the Canadians is that they come in these rolls, but the banks counting machines kick them out & I get them back. So they can give them to me but I can't give them back. So I guess I have to just keep them. On the bright side, the Canadian pennies were copper until 1995 (I believe) so I guess the more recent ones are worth keeping for their copper value.
Valued Member
Canada
426 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2010  3:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add splatto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here in Toronto I average about 5 Wheats per box, and about 2 later-year LMC's per roll.
Pillar of the Community
United States
507 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2010  9:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Deltron to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just went through my first box and found 8 wheats.
Learn More...
United States
7123 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2010  9:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Metalman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know of about 30 that just re-entered circulation again in the last day or two.
Pillar of the Community
United States
564 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2010  10:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add afclassic87 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh yeah? Trying to get some young boy onto coin collecting? I let dateless buffs go wild in hopes of someone finding it and start a coin collection.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05