Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Questions about a 1930 Buffalo Nickel

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
1 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2006  12:46 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add carl2e to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I came across a coin in my pocket. It's just under the size of a dime. From what I've been able to find, I think it's a "Type Two" Buffalo nickel, dated 1930.
The thing I find strange is that the letters "O O P" are printed across the area of the Indian's ear on the front.

Is this a legitimate coin or just a token? What does the "O O P" stand for?

I've included an image of a coin that is very similar to what I have but it is not exactly the same (i.e., "E Pluribus Unum" is not on my coin, Indian's hair braid is a little different).

Image: 1930n.jpg
29.76 KB

Pillar of the Community
United States
986 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2006  12:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fengk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm guessing it's a token. A buff nickel wouldn't be smaller than a dime, for starters. Also, if it doesn't have E Pluribus Unum on it, I don't see it being a legit buff. Then again, I could be totally off on my assumptions. I'll leave this question to the buffalo fanatics.
Pillar of the Community
United States
773 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2006  5:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sn31 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's very intersting,I'd like to see that coin.Can you post a pic? :) sn31.
Learn More...
United States
7123 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2006  5:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Metalman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is the coin/Token worn ?

What you are reading as OOP may in fact say COPY !!

making it a token or replica of a buff Nickel .

Rick
Edited by Metalman
08/12/2006 5:24 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3147 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2006  6:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add crystalk64 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There was NO type 2 Buffalo nickels any time other than 1913 and as others have stated NO nickels smaller than a dime. Whatever you have it is NOT legal tender. But as a token it may carry value and I must leave that up to those who collect such items.
Learn More...
United States
7123 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2006  6:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Metalman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
actually I think all of the Buff's including some of the 1913's are variety 2 Nickels.

Rick
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3147 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2006  8:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add crystalk64 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay you got me on that one! All buffalos are type 2's after the 1913 original designs (Type 1) were changed due to wear but no one I know refers to any other buffalos as Type 2 after 1913. Sure feels good to have my foot so far in my mouth!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1203 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2006  9:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add OldDan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reasoning behind the type 1 & 2 Buffalo nickel.

The designer, James E. Fraser designed the niclel with the buffalo standing on a mound of earth.(thus the type 1 or first style). The coin didn't wear very well and the design was changed half way through the first year of production (1913) and the buffalo was lowered to a flat level piece of land.(now called the type 2 or second style).
This was the design used from that point forward and no more mention was made of it for the following years of production.

But, they all had E. Pluribus Unum on them above the buffalo's back.

My guess is that it is a button.
Edited by OldDan
08/12/2006 9:48 pm
Learn More...
United States
7123 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2006  9:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Metalman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mention is made of the type 2 in every RedBook printed,, at the beginning of the section on Type 2 Buffalo nickels.

Now it really does not make any difference unless you are comparing two 1913 Buffalo nickels , but it is also not wrong to call a 1936 Buff a type 2 since that is exactly the design that they are.

Rick

Pillar Of The Community
United States
3147 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2006  10:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add crystalk64 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I did not say it was wrong. I am saying NO ONE does refer to Buffalo nickels after 1913 as type 2. I have been collecting for over 30 years and when one mentions type 1 or type 2 in Buffalo nickels the conversation is about 1913 only. No one refers to the 98, 99, or 2000 Lincoln cents as type 1 or 2 unless they are specifically mentioning the error with the proof reverse. I see the trend in RedBook is now to refer to them as Wide AM or Close AM when they started out as Type 1 and Type 2? None the less I don't refer to current Lincoln cents as Type 1 or Type 2 and while I agree wholeheartedly with your statement that all Buffalo nickels after the re-design in 1913 are Type 2's when one mentions either the 1913 date is all that ever comes to mind.
Forum Mom
Learn More...
United States
5795 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2006  12:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Susanlynn9 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it's smaller than a dime, I would guess that it is a miniature Buffalo nickel. These are fantasy coins and, unfortunately, have no real numismatic value.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05