Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Newbies from the Blue Mountains in Central PA

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2011  8:42 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add zazosmom to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hello...my name is Michelle and I live in central PA. I am not a coin collector (at least I didn't think I was!) but more like a medium for my 9 year old son's coin purchases. He has developed quite the passion for coins. He started his collection about 2 years ago with a Mercury dime found under a soda machine in Wal-mart. Then he received a V nickel from his uncle and a couple of wheat pennies here and there. About 6 months ago, he became "serious." We have spent countless hours on the Internet and eBay trying to navigate the complexities of coin collecting. He spends every cent of his allowance on coins and every day in between "paydays" dreaming of his next purchase. A couple of weeks ago, we had the good fortune of purchasing a coin from a CCF member who has proven to be a wealth of information and he directed me to your site. My son has spent many days on this site reading the Coin Facts and History section and he can often be spotted quoting facts to bank tellers. LOL. Anyway, I am looking forward to your advice and company on this new journey with my son. I can already tell it's going to get a lot easier with such a great group of people to learn from!

So, feel free to offer up any advice. You can assume I know nothing...except this...I definitely know NOT TO CLEAN COINS!

Michelle and Zack

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2502 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2011  8:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You're a great mother to be so helpful and encouraging. When I was a teenager -- waaaaay back in the 60's I would keep any old or odd coin and I wished I could just go visit a coin store. In fact if there had been a coin store within walking distance I would have spent my pitiful little paychecks on coins. So you're son's got a real headstart on a lot of us.

I just got re-interested this past year when I found boxes and jars of old coins while cleaning out my late father-in-law's house. I started looking things up to see what I could sell them for and instead I started buying. LOL

Warning -- collecting coins can lead to collecing paper money -- or at least checking the serial number on every single bill that passes by.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2815 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2011  01:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Peter THOMAS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
G'day, & welcome to CCF.
When I was a kid, my Mum used to get me a coin a week.
I still cherish them.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11186 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2011  06:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF Michelle and Zack. Feel free to ask any questions you two may have and we will try our best to answer them. Also ,we all like to see photos of your special coins in your collection too, so please post them if you can. Go slow and steady in your new found hobby and have a lot of fun doing it. If there is a coin show near you you should go they are a blast If you have a coin shop near you you should go and check it out and see if you and Zack click with the shop owner, if you don't try and find a shop you two like.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Learn More...
United States
21552 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2011  11:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Many of us are aware of your story and are glad to have you here! Your son's enthusiasm for the hobby is simply amazing.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
66 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2011  11:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add startabe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
welcome and hope you have lots of fun on this fantastic hobby
United States
25 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2011  11:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Logic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Terrific story. I would be thrilled if any of my three kids caught the bug. Welcome.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United Kingdom
2790 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2011  3:23 pm  Show Profile Check bobbyhelmet's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add bobbyhelmet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Learn More...
United States
6577 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2011  3:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Edited by Fuzzy317
09/16/2011 3:55 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4262 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2011  4:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add VisigothKing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF!
"For as long as Belisarius lives, it is impossible for him to relinquish this city." - Roman general Belisarius, responding to a group of Gothic envoys, during the Gothic siege of Rome in 537 AD

Attributed coins in my collection so far - Roman: 238, Byzantine: 34, Post-Roman Germanic: 21
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2502 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2011  4:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One more thing -- see if you can find a coin club in your area. Mine meets just once a month and every month we have a prize drawing for all members and then a special prize drawing for the kids. Usually there is only one young fellow there so he's sure to go home with something. Meeting the local collectors will help you find honest coin dealers in your area, too.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5905 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2011  4:52 pm  Show Profile Check SHAFTA9a's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SHAFTA9a to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We, Welcome you to Coin Community Forums, zazosmom, from the Canadian North.

True North
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1379 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2011  5:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jfransch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome and enjoy the hobby. There is something for everyone to enjoy within the field of numismatics so take your time, learn and study, and see where it leads you and your son. We are here to help answer questions (and we all love giving advice and ideas to others...LOL)
Oh yes, and rememeber "don't clean your coins".
"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2011  5:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add zazosmom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome!

How can I find out if there is a coin club or coin shows in my area?

Pillar of the Community
United States
4262 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2011  5:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add VisigothKing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One time I just Googled for any coin shows in my area and I ended up finding the monthly one I now go to often. I'm sure there are web sites dedicated to coin shows but I don't know them unfortunately.
"For as long as Belisarius lives, it is impossible for him to relinquish this city." - Roman general Belisarius, responding to a group of Gothic envoys, during the Gothic siege of Rome in 537 AD

Attributed coins in my collection so far - Roman: 238, Byzantine: 34, Post-Roman Germanic: 21
Learn More...
United States
14261 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2011  5:51 pm  Show Profile Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Michelle and Zack! Enjoy the CCF!
Such a fine group of people here. It really is a family :-)
Coin club is a fantastic idea ;)
johnny54321 - John Brawner, my eternal friend. You will be missed by your CCF Family.

CCF members sell on eBay!

vermontensium's coins for sale :p
Dave - ANA LM1214396, C4, EAC
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05