Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1983 Bundesrepublik Deutschland 50 Pfennig - F mintmark

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1014 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2008  05:23 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add justabeginner to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hey guys, my mum just got this coin from change in Australia.... I was wondering how much is this worth and what is it's mintage... Coin is about XF-AU range... Thx for any help...

Pillar of the Community
Germany
1198 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2008  07:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chrisild to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The "F" means that it was made in Stuttgart, BW - and in 1983 they made about 24 million of them at that mint. It is a neat coin, I like the design, but the value? Well, somewhere around 50 cent here in DE. Its face value (ie. what you would get if you took it to the central bank) is precisely 0.26 ... that would be 43c in AU dollars.

Christian
Edited by chrisild
01/21/2008 07:10 am
Learn More...
Australia
11281 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2008  07:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mintage: not stated in Krause. None of the post-1972 50pfs have mintages.
CV: US45 in EF.
Face value: currently AU43, although the German mark is now superceded by the euro and the coins are no longer legal tender, so the "face value" is largely theoretical.

F is the mintmark for Stuttgart, in case you were wondering.

Edit: got beat to the punch by chrisild. You can't beat local knowledge...
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Edited by Sap
01/21/2008 07:12 am
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1014 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2008  07:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add justabeginner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My mum got it for 5 or 10 cents AU, so I guess I profited anyway even if its not much... :) Thx for your help Christian and Sap... Appreciate it...
Pillar of the Community
Germany
1198 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2008  08:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chrisild to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Sap: Ah, rumor has it I have occasionally been wrong. As for that face value, well, it is theoretical only because taking it to a Bundesbank branch office will be more expensive and time consuming than the 26 cent you would get for it. Legally, however, pretty much everything issued in this country (Federal Republic, 1949-) can still be redeemed. So get me an airline ticket, and I'll take care of the rest.

@justabeginner: Well, your mother "lost" a few cents ... but you got a nice coin!

Christian
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1014 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2008  08:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add justabeginner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmm, Christian, I thought she profited? US45 cents would amount more than aussie 10 cents shouldn't it? :) Or am I mistakenly wrong here?
Pillar of the Community
Germany
1198 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2008  4:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chrisild to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, as a means of payment it is worthless in Australia, ie. value = 0.00. But as part of your collection it is of course not. If you see it that way, you're right. Sure a neat find!

Christian
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1014 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2008  6:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add justabeginner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hehe, that means I profited... WOOHOO... And my first German/Europe coin too... :D
Valued Member
Australia
432 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2008  9:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Zaggy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
German coins are cool... Trust me!

One would think I should feel the opposite, having read through literally hundreds of pages of German Archiv's and Buchen and Katalog's; but no - they're cool...
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Shop for APMEX Bullion on eBay!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05