Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What are gold flake vials, and are they worth anything?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
214 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2011  11:44 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jizer1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

So after searching eBay auctions, I've seen a lot of auctions with vials of gold flakes. Are these actually worth anything, or are they just a way to attract peoples' bids?

Also could I melt them down into something more useful...say a nugget or a small bar ect?

Pillar of the Community
United States
961 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2011  11:51 pm  Show Profile Check jgfindring's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jgfindring to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gold can be made incredibly thin, so these vials of flakes usually contain at best a couple of cents worth of gold. You would need to melt a very large number of them in order to have a nugget that you could see.
Up to 377 Countries now! Working on Canadian, Australian and Euro type sets.
Completed US sets:Lincoln Memorial w/ proof;Lincoln Shield w/proof;Jefferson w/proof;Roosevelt w/proof;Washington w/proof;Statehood w/proof;Franklin;Kennedy w/proof;Eisenhower w/proof;SBA w/proof;Sacagawea w/proof;Presidential w/proof.
Close: LWC missing 2; Liberty nickel missing 3; Mercs missing 1; Walkers missing 2. 7070 type set missing 10.
I AM A COLLECTOR! I don't care if the value is going to go up, down or sideways! I don't collect coins to get rich, but as a hobby to RELAX!
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2011  01:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add xquercus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've wondered if people put together these vials using gold leaf -- like the kind used to decorate cakes. One ounce of gold can be rolled out into many many square meters of gold leaf. It's an incredibly thin material. If these flakes contain rolled leaf, one would have to purchase thousands of bottles to put together even a gram of gold.

Gold leaf is an interesting material. Some of the architectural structures that are covered in gold leaf look like they contain lots of gold. In reality, it might amount to a couple tens of ounces due to how amazingly thing gold can be rolled.

While I haven't melted down gold, I've made a couple rings from silver via lost wax casting. I actually used 1 ounce American Silver Eagles. No reason Gold Eagles or Canadian Maple Leafs (if you need 24k) couldn't serve as a source for your project. Cheaper though would be to simply melt gold scrap which can usually be had for less than spot.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3670 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2011  01:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Silverhawk74 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Simply a novelty.....
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1496 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2011  02:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add poboxw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
pretty but pretty worthless
Pillar of the Community
United States
3670 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2011  1:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Silverhawk74 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just think, if the dealers in the tourist traps have say one dollar in those vials an flakes, and sell a boat load of them for 10 bucks each (just a guess on my part, I have no idea what they go for), then you would be doing pretty good at 9 bucks a lick....
Pillar of the Community
United States
1099 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2011  1:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mitchhailey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Consider this;

Two one ounce gold coins can be thinned out to cover an entire tennis court!
Valued Member
United States
458 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2011  7:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SilverCoinBoi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
^ thats incredible.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.97 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05