Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

eBay buyers getting worse and worse.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
1028 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2011  01:23 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add hesgut to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I think eBay buyers have finally caught on and are realizing that eBay heavily favors them and they can do whatever they want.

I have had as many problems with buyers in the last 4 months as I have the other few years combined that I ever sold anything.

I had a guy try to rip me off and he even wrote me an "outside eBay" email telling me he was gonna rip me off. He was succesful in doing so of course as he knew the ins and outs of buyer protection as well as return policy and whatnot.

I actually went back to check to make sure and yes 7 out of my previous 50 sales had a complete "item not paid" case where there was never any buyer response. Several of the remaining 43 were also the "I dont give a you know what" pay after 4 or 5 days types.

I have also had a few frivolous bid retractions, which always annoyed me. I don't think somebody entered the wrong amount on a $14 starting bid when they put $14.14...you know what I mean.

Just complete garbage all around. eBay has become the buyer's playground and I feel like I'm dancing on eggshells selling any items worried something will go wrong.

You know what's funny...I live within easy driving distance of eBay's company headquarters.

Will eCrater or some other company please PLEASE chop away at this monopoly.

Sorry, just had to get all that off my chest. Am I the only one that's had these experiences? Is anybody with me?

Pillar of the Community
United States
1099 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2011  01:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mitchhailey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with you on all of those points EXCEPT the 'pay after 4 to 5 day' crowd.

I personally do not get on eBay every day and I have put in bids, forgot I put them in, and then just happened to check eBay a few days later to see that I won an item. So...in my opinion the standard 7 day-to-pay period is a reasonable time to wait for payment.

I wish someone would take out eBay, too. I would more than love to do business with anyone BUT eBay.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3083 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2011  11:57 am  Show Profile Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Speaking as primarily an eBay buyer (who always pays immediately at auction end), I agree that there are plenty of opportunities for buyers to abuse the system.

However, this is balanced (perhaps even overbalanced) by all the myriad ways that sellers manage to scam the buyers. Creative photographs hiding flaws, misrepresentations, "unsearched" rolls of coins, "found in hidden room" boxes full of modern reproduction coins, etc., etc., etc. Some sellers justify blatant misrepresentations with a "no questions asked" return policy, knowing full well that many buyers won't detect the misrepresentation. Other sellers have no return policy or else refuse to refund the exorbitant shipping and handling charges they tack on in order to make tier real profit.

The door swings both ways, but in the end it's the sellers who hold the bulk of the power on eBay. They are the ones who hold the merchandise and have complete control over how it is represented.
Pillar of the Community
1028 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2011  1:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hesgut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
barryg; I'm sure you, as well as most of the other CCF members are probably great buyers, but you are completely wrong as far as the "position of the power pendulum" and your analogy is improper.

Those sellers that sell obviously searched "unsearched rolls" are not entirely ethical, but they aren't fundamentally abusing the system. Those that have large shipping costs might be trying to make some profit, but it's not like you were unaware of them before you bought, where is the deception. In those cases, chances are, your bid+shipping cost was fair anyways.

Nearly all sellers are, or have been, buyers as well, it's not like we don't know what that's like. I can tell you, buyers have the power. The worst thing a seller could do is get paid, then never send the item, and then disappear from the site. You can get your money back from eBay in about a weak. I won't talk about it on these boards, but I can explain to someone more than one way to take a seller's coin and keep your money, guaranteed, if you do a little finagling. You could even stay on the site.

I should post some of the rude neanderthal messages I get from buyers. I'm actually more shocked by the inability of a person with numismatic interests to write a coherent message, than I am by the utter disregard some of these buyers have for me and the rules.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1977 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2011  10:19 pm  Show Profile Check XavierOfGreen's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add XavierOfGreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ebay is definately a buyers game, especially if selling overseas. My only loss due to a missing package/fraud was selling an item to ireland through eBay. The USPS is utterly worthless when selling overseas on eBay, since in order to qualify for seller protection on eBay you need delivery confirmation and the USPS wont do delivery confirmation on overseas packages. I almost never sell internationally on eBay anymore because they offer no protection at all against fraud. A buyer can pay, receive the package, and yet still claim it never arrived and paypal will give them their money back leaving you no option but to try to sue paypal in order to regain your losses (and in many states thats impossible because of paypals forum action clause in their paypal agreement).
Oldest Found-------
Cent: 1842 (from machine) ---- Three Cent: 1866 [Nickel] (from machine)
Nickel: 1883 (from roll) ---- Dime: 1911 (from roll)
Quarter: 1932 (from machine) ---- Half: 1917 (from roll)
Dollar: 1880 (from machine) ---- Foriegn: 1863 (from machine)
Learn More...
United States
17303 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2011  11:22 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've completely abandoned selling internationally as a result.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, coinguybrian, numismo, Johnny54321 - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1977 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2011  11:47 pm  Show Profile Check XavierOfGreen's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add XavierOfGreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have no problem selling internationally here on the forum, but eBay is like the wild west for international sales
Oldest Found-------
Cent: 1842 (from machine) ---- Three Cent: 1866 [Nickel] (from machine)
Nickel: 1883 (from roll) ---- Dime: 1911 (from roll)
Quarter: 1932 (from machine) ---- Half: 1917 (from roll)
Dollar: 1880 (from machine) ---- Foriegn: 1863 (from machine)
Valued Member
United States
320 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2011  2:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add satxwd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's funny what you say about eBay buyers. I stopped selling on eBay years ago because one out of every three buyers said they never got the package. Even when I used DC they would say that. eBay backed up the buyer every time.
Valued Member
United States
143 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2011  08:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add seth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't sell much; it's sporadic at best. I started to dump a bunch of my excess coins a couple of weeks ago and everything was smooth. Then I hit ONE DEADBEAT and am still waiting. I found that automatic UPI buyer assistant, but too late. From what I understand from eBay forums, if you use the UPI Assistant and it initiates a case after four days--and they don't pay--they cannot leave FB. BUT, if you initiate it yourself, they CAN leave negative FB. I would no one can leave FB before they pay. Since I have paid for everything I bought recently I can't remember if there is a FB optin before paying.

So, back to the deadbeat. I send an invoice. I get a message from him that he is "transferring money to his Paypal account; it'll be a couple of days." Kinda queer sounding when Paypal requires at least a credit card. I have more than one bank account tied to Paypal. Two days later a reminder message--nothing. Four days a reminder--nothing. Open a case and I get, "the bank is transferring the money now. It'll be a couple of days." Three days now.

It's $357 for a cherry 2006 ASE 20th Anniversary Set. It is my last one for sale, so I couldn't just list another in the mean time.

But, everyone is right. They get away with it. Outside of the UPI strike (not seen unless you look at each bidders FB as they bid) we should be allowed Neg FB to warn other sellers.
Valued Member
United States
143 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2011  08:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add seth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
barryg-
It is a swinging door. I have gone to No Return and clearly state it. The only return I will take is slabbed coins. Why? Becuase a few buyers have received coins and swapped out their crap, claiming not as described. What am I? Goodwill coins? I am NOT a major seller; I am not qualified to grade. I say so and put large, high rez photos up. There should be no remorse, "undescribed," etc. I even got a few "better than the photo" FB's. It's always a minority of buyers that screw things up.

99.9% of buyers are great!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05