Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Bank of America Rolls

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
123 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2011  3:53 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Igleos to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I had a question about roll hunting. I went to Bank of America and got some Quarter Rolls. Their rolls are like a special plastic and not the traditional rolls. Does it matter at all or does it mean the bank goes though the rolls?

Pillar of the Community
United States
2575 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2011  4:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jayman931 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The only thing I could think is maybe they were turned in from a customer.
Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains taken to bring it to light.~ GEORGE WASHINGTON

Don't take it personal I am just straight forward.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1627 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2011  4:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add unholyroller to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They must get their coins from Brinks. Brinks uses a clear thick shrink wrap on their rolls
Pillar of the Community
United States
1392 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2011  4:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SteveCaruso to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Aye, and not every BoA uses Brinks either, but the shrink wrap rolls usually mean Brinks.
-Steve (GSNA R-2306)
The Black Cabinet
A Database of Counterfeit Coins.
Counterfeit identification and attribution services.
Valued Member
United States
123 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2011  4:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Igleos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is exactly the type of roll they use. thanks guys. now time to figure out what Brinks is.... lol
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2502 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2011  5:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wikipedia has a whole page on Brinks. And Brinks has a lot of pages....
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2011  5:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
, Igleos!
Valued Member
United States
466 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2011  6:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add googoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
shrink wrapped plastic is what you say you have, I have also seen clear plastic rolls that you can buy that snap together, but after your second response I would say this isn't what you found
here is a link to a picture of the rolls I have seen from a customer who would roll change and bring it into the gas station where I worked
http://www.napcoinsorter.com/PDGIma...wrappers.jpg
Also about searching this type of rolls. I have found silver in this type of rolls, I have found silver at every bank I have visited. It is all about luck in the coin searching game. Some will tell you bank of america doesn't have silver and many more will claim that Brinks sorts silver from its rolls. Search, and you will find. Thats my suggestion to you. Have fun with it
Pillar of the Community
1028 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2011  6:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hesgut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All my roll searching is from BofA rolls, and they are all clear plastic rolls that are brought from the distribution center to the branch by Brinks. I don't search quarter rolls, but the nickel rolls I get have been very lucrative
Pillar of the Community
United States
1985 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2011  9:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, those are Brinks "condoms" as we chr'ers call them.
Savvy tellers pilfer the silfer from those clear rolls. The only chance you have may be to order sealed boxes of quarters.
I don't search 'em much, but have found a few from customer rolls.
Oldest dug 2014: 1851 LC
Oldest dug: 1758 Reale
Minelab Explorer 2
Pillar of the Community
1028 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2011  9:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hesgut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Savvy tellers pilfer the silfer from those clear rolls.

I assume you mean pick out silver just looking at the edge through the clear plastic. I wouldn't worry about that too much. All the boxes ARE sealed. When one is opened to accommodate a business banking customer, or I suppose, a coin collector looking for just a few rolls, nobody is looking for anything. I dated a girl about 2 years ago who was a bank teller at BofA and she told me that there is no time to look at anything during working periods. After, everything is immediately scrutinized and accounted for and you are not allowed to exchange for or open any roll. She also said nobody that she knew of ever looked for anything.

I told her to peak at the rolls of an open box and possibly open one containing silver and put the items in her tray in between customers. She wasn't really smart enough to accomplish this, however.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1985 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2011  9:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I opened an account at BOA four years ago for the purpose of roll hunting only. I know several tellers that cherry pick and another that boasted of finding an entire roll of silver Washingtons that went home with him.
Policies on employees buying coin vary from branch to branch. I have never had much luck at BOA searching customer rolls for this very reason. I have had luck with sealed boxes.
Oldest dug 2014: 1851 LC
Oldest dug: 1758 Reale
Minelab Explorer 2
Valued Member
United States
123 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2011  02:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Igleos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone. From the looks of it, their is a large amount of luck involved in finding silver coins in coin roll hunting. All I have been doing so far is pilfering all my room mates change. I am currently working on a lincoln penny collection and state quarter collection. Its a lot of work!
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2011  05:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Megabanks are more likely to have chainwide rules against searching, just as a matter of having all their bases covered. Managers don't have time for "you let her sort her coins".
Valued Member
United States
455 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2011  06:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Silver Eagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The plastic rolls are definitely Brinks rolls. I was a commercial teller at a large bank for three years during and after college and I will admit that I was one of those 'cherry pickers'. We went through alot of coin and I used to love scanning the boxes as I would hand out rolls to businesses that came in. It only took about three minutes per box and I would usually find 2-3 silvers per dime box and 1 silver per 2 or 3 quarter boxes. The savvy and quick tellers probably scan them but I don't think most tellers want to be bothered.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2249 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2011  06:32 am  Show Profile Check robbudo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add robbudo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i do 100% of roll searching from BOA too, but my 3 branches don't use the plastic wrapped rolls at all. Mine are NF string & sons (paper wrapped).
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.19 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05