Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Numismatic Discussion Forums (Non Country Specific)
 Tokens, Medals, and other Exonumia

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

My first token! 1863 Army / Navy - Your thoughts please!

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
oih82w8
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5907 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2011  11:13 pm Show Profile Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I just picked up my first "token", it's the common (popular) 1863 Army / Navy Token. Is it me, or is the the date repunched? At least the 3 looks like it has an additional/separate top serf. Maybe the 6 as well inside the loop. I don't have the token in hand yet, and these are the sellers images. I snagged this one for a double sawbuck. Your thoughts please! Thanks!

oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"

"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145

"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
Edited by oih82w8
12/07/2011 4:17 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
636 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2011  11:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rjkingston to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice token!

I see it too, looks like some repunching on the '1' also. I've only got 3 CW tokens 2 of which I came across by accident. Great US history item.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4095 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2011  11:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add amida17 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does look repunched...new one for me I've seen quite a few of these and never noticed that before...one of the experts may know what die it came from?
Stay brown and hail the Boognish.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
731 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2011  02:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CheetahCats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats OIH! Terrific specimen! Thanks for sharing.

I'm quite sure your example is a Fuld 13/297a, Fuld-R-2 (2001-5000 specimens estimated to remain in existence.) The positioning of the tip of Minerva's cap adjacent to the top star, the star's orientation, and the re-punched '3' are diagnostic indicators. On its reverse, the proximity of the handles underneath 'N' and 'Y' are indicators.

If had to venture to estimate from your photos, IMO it's at least AU+, perhaps even higher in grade. The Minerva head on your obverse is a beautiful example, with the date appearing to have been re-punched.

If you would like more info on Rarity 'R' scales, you can find it here: http://www.novanumismatics.com/arti...arities.html

This link here talks a bit about the genesis of CW Patriotics: http://www.novanumismatics.com/arti...atics29.html

If you decide to pursue further, the book Patriotic Civil War Tokens 5th Edition, Fuld, Krause Publications, (c)2005 is a great resource to have.
Edited by CheetahCats
12/07/2011 02:28 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5907 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2011  08:18 am  Show Profile Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info CheetahCats! I Googled the "Fuld 13/297a" number (http://www.neocollect.com/item/933/#image_viewer) and it sure does look like that one, even the left hand side of the "A" in NAVY on the reverse has that repuched identification to it, although mine is more brown that red which kinda hides the detail in the sellers image.

The novanumismatics websites are BLOCKED - ACCESS DENIED from my work computer, I'll check them out when I get home tonight.
oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"

"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145

"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
Edited by oih82w8
12/07/2011 12:13 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1416 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2011  10:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good buy at a decent price. Cheetah nailed the variety, and I concur with his observation. There are many varieties, showing Liberty, wearing the Phrygian cap of freedom.

This token is typical for the variety. Many sellers of CWT's tout the die errors as being something unusual when indeed, they're not. In many such cases, the errors are so common that there are collectors who will pay a premium for a non-error, early die state token. Some CWT collectors seek varying die states as do many early copper collectors. One can easily build a collection of CWT errors as there are so many common tokens that display a wide variety of errors.

A more difficult route would be to try and collect all 11,000 or so different varieties! You might better opt for a type set. You can probably find a 1960 Whitman book on patriotics by Fuld that pictures the majority of dies known. These older versions with black card covers typically sell in the $10 range. Otherwise, the 4th edition patriotic book is a good investment and has a good deal of information between the pages. Joining the Civil War Token Society is a good idea, too. You might want to visit Steve Hayden's CWT website to see some amazing pieces as well! What with this being the sesquicentennial year of the Civil War, interest in these old tokens seems to be mounting.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
731 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2011  11:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CheetahCats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Indeed. All of Exo's recommendations are great ones.

Joining the Civil War Token Society is a great suggestion too. I've been a member for some time and enjoy the research.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05