Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Half Dollar "Franklin Half Dollar" 1961 Proof

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Portugal
263 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2011  11:37 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add mysterimen to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

hello I have Half Dollar " Franklin half dollar" 1961 Proof but I dont know the type of the coin grade and value anyone can help?

Moved to US Moderns forum - Sap

Edited by mysterimen
12/09/2011 11:38 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
5379 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2011  12:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add D0ubl3Eagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Generally these do not have a large premium above melt value. Your coin can be had for around $17-20 unless it has a double die reverse which is very valuable. I don't think the coin you have has a double die reverse as it very prominent. As for grade, my guess would be around PR-64 give or take depending on the amount of hairlines.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3649 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2011  2:04 pm  Show Profile Check muddler's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have a nice proof Franklin half that is pretty common and as mentioned would grade at around PF 64. It would not be a good candidate send to a grading company but is nice to look at. Protect it from other coins as the surface can become scuffed or spotted easily. Grades will range for these coins from PF 60 to PF 69 with other designations such as "cameo" or "deep Cameo" Here is one to compare that is graded as PF 67 Cameo, it is one of my favorite examples.

Valued Member
Portugal
263 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2011  06:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mysterimen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So how do I know if it is a double die reversse?
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2011  10:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dsmith23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/CoinDe....aspx?s=6689

look here its free for the weekend
Valued Member
Portugal
263 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2011  12:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mysterimen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin cost me 12.70$ do you think it was a good deal?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1299 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2011  12:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cc99999 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
you didn't get ripped off, if that's what you are afraid of. Is the coin worth $13? It's hard to say. The melted value of the silver is about $11.60 at the moment- expect to get a little less than that if you go to an outfit that buys gold and silver. The numismatic value of the coin is about what you paid for it. But what is the value of learning something new and having a piece of history? You've expanded your horizons and you have a piece of every day life from back in 1961. You have one of the last silver half dollars....

Whether it was a good deal- really depends on you.
Follow the Ike Group on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/T...794568128572
Pillar of the Community
United States
3215 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2011  1:23 pm  Show Profile Check smokeriderdon's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PF64 prices out at 18. So yes, you got a decent deal. I would snag that coin at 13 bucks all day long. It is a beautiful coin and is much better than a "melt coin". I suggest get some air tites (I like the type with the ring not the direct fit) and put this coin in one. That way it will be protected. Here is a link to a site that sells supplies... http://www.jpscorner.com/AirTite_Products.htm
"Our lives are summed up by two dates separated by a dash mark. Make the most of that dash." Battalion Chief John "Mac Daddy" McDonald. R.I.P.

It is could've, would've or should've, not could of, would of or should of.
Valued Member
Portugal
263 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2011  2:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mysterimen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Allready done my friends the coin frosted in eternety! Well the reason im buying so much silver these days is because of the world economy, I beleave gold and silver are the safe haven for the next decade I believe, and when the silver pri├že goes high enough, I hope ill sell it, what do you think?
Edited by mysterimen
12/11/2011 2:22 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1299 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2011  3:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cc99999 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i think gold and silver prices are pretty steep, to be honest. but best of luck to you.
Follow the Ike Group on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/T...794568128572
Valued Member
Portugal
263 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2011  7:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mysterimen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Then you have to listen to Max Keiser, Peter Shiff, Gerald Celente, Mike Malloney,David Morgan and many others!
Edited by mysterimen
12/11/2011 7:48 pm
Valued Member
United States
359 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2011  8:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add n9jig to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a damaged coin, there is a crack in the bell on the reverse...

Valued Member
Portugal
263 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2011  05:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mysterimen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well then all the coins are cracked!
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2011  2:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KuffMUp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a nice coin for not having any cameo contrast. It has relatively few milk spots that are common to Franklins.

This is my 1961 Proof 67 Ultra CAM

Valued Member
Portugal
263 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2011  2:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mysterimen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice coin too! How much did you paid for it?
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageShop at PDS Coins!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.16 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05