Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

APMEX vs Provident

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
271 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2011  01:55 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add OldGold to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I have been looking at buying some silver online (I'm deployed to Afghanistan so I can't pick any up in person) and have been looking at both APMEX and Provident. I was wondering if anyone had a preference of one over the other and if so why? Provident seems a tad cheaper, but I have not checked their shipping charges yet (I'll be shipping the silver back to Alaska).

Thanks in advance!

Valued Member
United States
188 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2011  03:10 am  Show Profile Check USMCLion's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add USMCLion to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally for me neither. If Im buying 500+ ounces I buy from Tulving. If Im buying less than 500 ounces, I buy from a small business in Hawaii called Alii coins. They sell 10them oz bars at +3 an ounce. They also ship for free and take credit cards with no additional cost. I've bought from them several times and have been very happy. The site is http://www.aliicoins.com and the bullion tab I

s toward the bottom.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1485 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2011  11:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bizybackson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the OP, APMEX has a greater selection of available products, if you're just buying a few ounces the shipping is high, and the markups per oz is higher than Provident Metals. Conversely, Provident Metals has decent shipping fees, but they are more often than not, out of the most populate bullion products, so it's kind of a wash between those two. Both have very fast service when you use wire or money orders, there is an up charge for using credit cards.
Pillar of the Community
United States
667 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2011  12:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mkfarm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WOW they charge one of the highest premiums I have ever seen on the ASE. - Alii coins -

One Ounce Silver American Eagles. Priced at spot plus $5 per ounce.

Even with free shipping that is not close to a deal.
Valued Member
United States
188 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2011  2:38 pm  Show Profile Check USMCLion's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add USMCLion to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
mkfarm, Right now APMEX is charging $5.50 per ASE over + shipping by credit card and if you wire the money the bank charges you $20. I'm not an ASE guy but for those who don't have a local coin store +5 delivered to your door by CC is a pretty good deal for under a role at a time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
667 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2011  3:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mkfarm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In 35 years never bought silver on credit, not the wise thing to do. Didn't really take a hard look but I will stand on what I said $5 over spot is not a deal. Current prices at Providence for 5 ASE's is $157.55 delivered. Alli would be $160.50.

APMEX is more a high volume dealer for the discounts.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3670 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2011  3:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Silverhawk74 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
APMEX has a better selection as noted, but the prices especially shipping are outrageous IMO....

I only use Provident, but I like there website design way better than APMEX as well, even though that is nit picking I suppose.....

I am a small timer, bottom of the barrel type, and Provident appeals to more like me, who don't have much extra to spend. Look at the price of a 1 oz. Buffalo round there right now, and I DARE you to find it cheaper....

http://www.providentmetals.com/1-oz...buffalo.html

$28.68 lol that is fantastic, and their Walking Liberty coins are a shade under thirty. Speaking of which, could someone please explain the difference between a walking liberty and an ASE?
Edited by Silverhawk74
12/28/2011 3:22 pm
Valued Member
United States
188 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2011  3:40 pm  Show Profile Check USMCLion's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add USMCLion to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lol, less than $0.50 a coin, you make it sound like its outlandishly high. To each his own, I'll give my extra fifty cents to the little guy over the big company anyday. Anyway you buy it, its a steal at this price. Not buying on credit, just a faster easier way to complete the transaction without waiting 2 weeks to receive your silver.
Edited by USMCLion
12/28/2011 3:42 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3670 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2011  3:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Silverhawk74 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
USMCLion, I like that site you posted, never heard of them. But it would be nice if they had some pictures of their product. I mean it is meaningless really, as you said 3 bucks over spot on 10 oz. bars, FREE SHIPPING, and no CC charge, how you gonna beat that. I am sure a simple phone call could get you all the info you need of their inventory.....

Their website needs some work and seems to me as outdated, and they could sell much more IMO with some images of what they offer and a program which would allow you to click on it and buy it all info exchanged without any communication required....
Pillar of the Community
United States
667 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2011  3:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mkfarm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your right we all have choices and that is great for everyone.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1496 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2011  4:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add poboxw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Buying from outside the USofA I found the international department at APMEX to be very efficient and helpful. Can't say the same for Provident because I haven't tried it out yet. APMEX tends to be more expensive, but reasonable sales do roll around quite often
Pillar of the Community
United States
4008 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2011  6:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ed_B to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks a lot for your military service to our country. It is appreciated and respected more than you know.

I buy silver fairly regularly from APMEX, Provident, and Silvertowne. All have their strengths. I like the selection and volume at APMEX, the prices and shipping at Providence, and the sweet 5-oz. bars at Silvertowne (often with free shipping, albeit at a slightly higher price per bar, and no surcharge for CC use).

If you are into buying US 90% silver coins, APMEX has the variety and volume that should please most any silver coin buyer.

All three of these will have sales from time to time, so it pays to browse their web sites from time to time to see what they are offering.
Valued Member
United States
271 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2011  11:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add OldGold to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the advice!
Valued Member
United States
271 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2011  2:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add OldGold to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking at Silvertowne it seems there is no price per oz difference between their 1oz, 5oz, and 10oz. I like that!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4008 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2011  6:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ed_B to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Looking at Silvertowne it seems there is no price per oz difference between their 1oz, 5oz, and 10oz. I like that!

Yeah, they sell on a per oz. price basis, so ,multiples of the silver price per oz. is what they charge for all sizes of their bars. With some products you can get a volume discount for larger quantities purchased but not usually for PMs unless you get into the 500+ oz. amounts per purchase.
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2012  7:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bullion billy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since APMEX moved to Wall Street and took on extra costs their prices have gone up on all products. I think provident have better prices for the most popular items. Tulving has good prices for large orders Westminster Mint, Gainesville and bullion direct also have good prices.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05