Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My first Lincoln struck through capped die.....I believe.  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2011  11:07 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Hvbassman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***

The fishing rods are packed away and the pennies are out. Continuing my educational winter time coin journey.

First cool find of the winter from the summer collection bucket.
Zincoln (2.5 g) struck through capped die? It looks a lot like the other cents posted on CCF. Tried to zoom the date area with no luck. The zOrb cant get the whole coin in the shot. I can make out the 19 with a loop but can't make out the rest. Photo's good enough for a second opinion?

Strong reverse.

Danny

Edited by Hvbassman
12/31/2011 5:01 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1895 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2011  11:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add unholyroller to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would say you have a winner there, the obverse side has multiple partial light strikes of the reverse in various orientations all over it. If you keep an open mind you can see the lower right of the memorial multiple times.
Oldest Roll Hunting Finds:
Cent: 1895 Indian Head
Nickel: 1899 V
Dime: 1964 Canadian
Half: 1945 Walking Liberty
Dollar: 1878 Morgan
Pillar of the Community
United States
1127 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2011  01:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mitchhailey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fishing rods put away? Oh, man! Here in western Washington State the fishing never stops. I caught a 15 lb steelhead the other day and it was so cold ice was forming on my rod tip.

Anyway, the coin looks awesome. Nice find!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11887 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2011  03:37 am  Show Profile Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you get a full, straight on shot of the obverse? I'm on the fence based on these pics.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
VERDI-CARE™ All Metal Conservation Fluid
http://www.verdichem.com
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2011  12:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hvbassman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Full size pics shot with the cannon.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-image.../3xloop.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/692/rawa.jpg/

Thank you for your time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1269 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2012  8:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add southsav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1993 LMC or later based on the CAM.

Nice!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11887 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2012  8:30 pm  Show Profile Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's one for an expert like Mike Diamond, I can't be 100% sure, but it look promising.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
VERDI-CARE™ All Metal Conservation Fluid
http://www.verdichem.com
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14427 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2012  10:18 am  Show Profile Check coop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a deteriating die cap.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings
Pillar of the Community
United States
1205 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2012  5:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, it was struck through an obverse die cap. Since the ghost of Lincoln is faint, it was probably not struck by a late-stage die cap. Instead, it was probably struck through a uniface die cap, i.e., one that never had any design on its working face.
Error coin writer and researcher.
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2012  05:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hvbassman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for looking.

I named him leather-face. From a distance Lincoln kinda looks likes he's wearing a Texas Chainsaw Massacre leather face mask.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2015 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2015 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05