Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Paper Money and Banknotes

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
 

Help: What is the Friedberg Number?

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
dodola
Valued Member
Canada
226 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2012  8:48 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add dodola to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

What is the Friedberg Number on a bank note?

How can I find the Friedberg Number on a bank note?

For example, what is the Friedberg Number for the below US$1 bank note?

Appreciate and thanks for your help in advance.



Valued Member
United States
486 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2012  10:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add The Bill Collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Therre is no Friedberg Number on a bank note, it's a catalog number that most all dealers and TPG's use. By the Friedberg book on US Paper Money and just about every note will be numbered in the book.
Regards
The Bill Collector
Valued Member
Canada
226 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2012  12:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dodola to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Therre is no Friedberg Number on a bank note, it's a catalog number that most all dealers and TPG's use. By the Friedberg book on US Paper Money and just about every note will be numbered in the book.


Thanks The Bill Colector.

One more question. I have 10 bank notes with consecutive serial numbers. Does it mean that these 10 bank notes have the same Friedberg number?
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
Australia
4958 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2012  12:45 am  Show Profile Check trout1105's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
unusual serial number.
Aim to Enjoy life. You only get one shot at it
Valued Member
United States
486 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2012  1:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add The Bill Collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
dodola,
Yes they would all have the same Friedberg Number.

As to the consecutive serial numbers or even unusual serial numbers, most Currency Collectors that I know that are collecting by the Friedberg Number system don't care much about the note serial number, yes it's nice to have an unusual or even a low serial number but it's just about impossible to build a Currency Collection by Friedberg catalog numbers that way.

There are many different ways to collect currency.
You can collect by size, large or small, or both, then by type such as Silver Cert., Gold Cert., FRN, etc. or by denomination such as $ 1., $ 2. $ 5. and on up etc., then by year series such as 1934, 1963, etc. or collect all of the above like I do.

It's really a personal thing, collectors usually collect the way they want, not the way someone would like them to, if all a collector wants to collect are consecutive serial number notes, more power to them, some may only collect star notes or low numbers, I would bet their collection would be very small and somewhat un-organized but it's their collection no matter how small or large it is.
Regards
The Bill Collector
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5902 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2012  4:14 pm  Show Profile Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NICE S/N!

According to Coin World Paper Money Values your 2009 series Fort Worth note is a Friedberg Number 1934-L
oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"

"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145

"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
Edited by oih82w8
01/04/2012 6:59 pm
Valued Member
United States
486 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2012  5:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add The Bill Collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Here are the highest F #'s listed in the 2010 Paper Money of the United States Friedberg book.
F #
1934 $ 1.00 2009.
1993 $ 5.00 2006.
2040 $ 10.00 2006.
2096 $ 20.00 2009.
2130 $ 50.00 2006.
2183 $ 100.00 2009.

oih82w8,
Did you get around to pricing the notes I need ?.
Regards
The Bill Collector
Valued Member
Canada
226 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2012  8:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dodola to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Yes they would all have the same Friedberg Number.

As to the consecutive serial numbers or even unusual serial numbers, most Currency Collectors that I know that are collecting by the Friedberg Number system don't care much about the note serial number, yes it's nice to have an unusual or even a low serial number but it's just about impossible to build a Currency Collection by Friedberg catalog numbers that way.

There are many different ways to collect currency.
You can collect by size, large or small, or both, then by type such as Silver Cert., Gold Cert., FRN, etc. or by denomination such as $ 1., $ 2. $ 5. and on up etc., then by year series such as 1934, 1963, etc. or collect all of the above like I do.

It's really a personal thing, collectors usually collect the way they want, not the way someone would like them to, if all a collector wants to collect are consecutive serial number notes, more power to them, some may only collect star notes or low numbers, I would bet their collection would be very small and somewhat un-organized but it's their collection no matter how small or large it is.


Thanks The Bill Collector. It is very helpful insights.
Valued Member
Canada
226 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2012  8:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dodola to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
NICE S/N!

According to Coin World Paper Money Values your 2009 series Fort Worth note is a Friedberg Number 1934-L


Hi oih82w8, thanks for checking the Friedberg for my note.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2012  5:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a very interesting serial # and a great poker hand.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05