Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1996 half pound Kennedy half dollar .999 pure silver

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2012  4:28 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add coin_newbie to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

picture of 1996 half pound Kennedy half dollar .999 pure silver, wgt one Troy half-pound, condition Proof, diameter 3.5 inches

Is a one Troy half-pound the same as 1/2 Troy pound ?

United States
35 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2012  4:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 1922dubledie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
don't no but that's a big sliver coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3670 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2012  4:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Silverhawk74 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a real nice proof, never seen it before, and it is 6 oz., via half a troy pound.....

I said when you posted on this before, that I figured it may bring about 50 over spot, and that is what I still figure being a proof. List in on eBay starting t 250 to start, buy it now 300 an see if you can get a taker....

I would offer 225 on it, as that is about max value IMO....

Pillar of the Community
United States
3670 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2012  4:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Silverhawk74 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1995-Proof-...em588e3ddc0a

Here it is for 400 plus, and it is the only other one on eBay. Just because they are asking over 400, does not mean it is worth that much. But, there's is a 1995, again only one I could find, so perhaps you could try an undercut this dealer by 25 bucks an get around 400 for it, but I will say you may WAIT for a long time to find that right buyer, willing to pay double spot on a 6 oz. proof.....
Pillar of the Community
United States
3670 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2012  5:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Silverhawk74 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Scratch that theory above, as if you look at the link I posted, it is indeed listed a half pound (8 troy oz.), so that explains ridiculous price of 450.....

Your coin states that it is a half TROY pound, so I still believe your coin is just 6 oz.....

Troy pound has 12 oz. the standard weight system most use is 16 oz. to a pound, and the dealers use this confusion to their advantage often when they have a 6 oz. they hope others will confuse as 8 oz.....
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2012  5:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coin_newbie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is a half pound one Troy = 8 oz
and a 1/2 Troy pound = 6 oz ?
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2012  5:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coin_newbie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I may have first listed this wrong ... not sure. The weight listed as seen in picture is One Troy half-pound. Boy am I confused.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3670 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2012  5:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Silverhawk74 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is not complicated, it is a half troy pound, or 6 oz.....

Look at picture #2 of the link I posted, it reads on the other guys COA as a half pound, NOT half troy pound, then in prenthesis it says (8 TROY oz.)....

Since you coin does not say half pound or have 8 oz. anywhere on COA, leads me to believe it is just 6 oz., as your coa reads HALF TROY POUND, which again is 6 oz....

You can take it to your local coin shop and have them weigh an confirm that weight by the way, just to confirm that....
Edited by Silverhawk74
01/19/2012 5:27 pm
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2012  5:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coin_newbie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Silverhawk74 ... I agree the person selling the 1995 Kennedy even if it is 8 oz. $450 is high.

Since I am new to Coin Community, I can't email or sell on here yet.

Looked you up on eBay. Impressive silver coin collection.

Thanks for all of your help. Real do need to sell this coin.
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2012  5:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coin_newbie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is the certificate for the 1996 Kennedy half-dollar.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4008 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2012  7:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ed_B to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This whole weight things seems to be more than sufficiently confusing. I always thought that a Troy lb. contained 12 Troy ounces and that an Av. lb. contains 16 av. ounces. Shouldn't 1/2 a Troy lb. or a Troy half lb. be the same at 6 Troy ounces?

Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2012  8:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
, coin_newbie!

Quote:
Is a half pound one Troy = 8 oz
and a 1/2 Troy pound = 6 oz ?

In a word, no.

.5 troy # should be 6 troy oz.

A troy # is 12 troy oz, 240 dwt, or 5760 grains.
An avoirdupois (meat) # is 16 av oz, or 7000 grains.

PM should always be measured in grains, dwt and troy oz.

In any case, never switch measuring systems partway thru. Either use av, troy, or metric, but be consistent.
Edited by biggfredd
01/19/2012 9:07 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4256 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2012  9:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add amida17 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
240dwt
"...being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead." - Vonnegut
Pillar of the Community
1283 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2012  9:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add throwbackid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Isn't the 20 DWT in an oz? 240/6= 40 Am I missing something?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3670 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2012  10:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Silverhawk74 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We got a real simple formula we use at work to convert penny weight to grams, so as the customer can understand, lol....

Like if you have .715 silver or 90%, keep in mind pre 1935 dollars are 90% .7734 seems like. Pre 1964 silver, VIA QUARTERS, DIMES, HALF DOLLARS ARE .715, while the pre 1935 dollars are .7734, a bit more, but most just call it all 90%, which is confusing as it should be called 75% silver rof....

To the formula to convert....

.715 (example a 1964 half Kennedy)x spot price/20....

Did I get that right Fredd, lol?

Also, silver 1965 to 1970 is 40% via Kennedy's only, or .295....
Edited by Silverhawk74
01/19/2012 10:40 pm
Valued Member
United States
418 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2012  08:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mariospaghetti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok you can check this out for more info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_ounce
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.91 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05