Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1965 large bead Nickel holy grail of Modern Canadian coins?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
434 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2012  6:01 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add secoinedchance to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

The title should read "Post 1960 Modern Canadian coins, sorry, just wasn't enough room.

This seems to be an extremely rare coin. Anyone ever come across one? Just wondering.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1733 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2012  6:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ugly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's a recent thread with a photo of one at this link

http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...age=3#902886

It's a mule really, I mean I know there are some out there, but I don't personally lust after one. It's just one of those "interesting things" to me, I actually got a bigger kick our of Wert finding the Olympic symbols backwards on some coins.

Not at all to downplay the scarcity of this item, it's just one of those things I wonder if they were done by mistake on purpose.
Valued Member
Canada
434 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2012  6:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add secoinedchance to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Totally have the same feeling. Someone at the mint accidentally on purpose *nudge nudge* giving some excitement to our currency.

Be nice to know the number of these accidents tho.
Edited by secoinedchance
01/19/2012 6:18 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
581 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2012  9:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MrCanada to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wert finding backward olympic symbol?Haven't heard this one. Any info.
Valued Member
423 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2012  9:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add realpenny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MrCanada: See it here:
http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...IC_ID=108047
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1354 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2012  08:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add darryldarryl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes... This dollar was a inside job according to experts!

Wert did have a very interesting find however I would take the 1965 Dollar over werts find. LOL!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1733 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2012  09:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ugly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We're talking about a nickel though Darryl

But seriously, an "honest" mistake is way more appealing to me. All these back door jobs offend my sense of what's actually collectable. I wouldn't give an ex mint employee one moment of a joy by doing anything but destroying a back door job.

This reminds of a heated exchange with a large cent collector over why I don't buy the published numbers and why the planchets for many coins are so bad.... it's simple, Heatons were dumping everything but the kitchen sink into the mix and using the saved weight in red copper to make fine chandeliers and trinkets.

Once money is involved people do weird things.
Canada
6 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2012  7:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 1965LgBead to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
*** Edited by Staff - Please Review the rules that you agreed to when you registered. ***
Pillar of the Community
Canada
969 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2012  8:57 pm  Show Profile Check Bm0ney's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Bm0ney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
119 small beads.
138 large beads.
http://koinpro.tripod.com/Articles/...BeadsVar.htm
"A 3rd class ride is better than 1st class walking." B$:)
"Life passes most people by while they're making grand plans for it" (George Jung)
Canada
6 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2012  8:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 1965LgBead to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The small Bead 1965 nickel is 119 beads.
The large bead coin 1965 nickel has only 118 beads on queen side.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
969 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2012  9:18 pm  Show Profile Check Bm0ney's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Bm0ney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I count 138 beads on the queen side of the large bead nickel in the picture.
Is this wrong?
"Life passes most people by while they're making grand plans for it" (George Jung)
Canada
6 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2012  11:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 1965LgBead to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i think the dollar has 138 beads
Pillar of the Community
Canada
606 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2012  6:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add collectall to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bm0ney-No that is not wrong the large bead "nickel" has 138 beads and the small bead is 119.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
969 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2012  9:42 pm  Show Profile Check Bm0ney's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Bm0ney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks collectall. I do not own a large bead and only go by reliable sources of information. Ken potter tells me to count 119 beads to identify a small bead on the large bead 138 beads.
1965lgbead, what's all this bold text 118 beads all about?
(Check the link)

(I try to only say nickel when referring to a five cent coin made of nickel.) :)
Edited by Bm0ney
04/05/2012 9:45 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05