Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1943-D War Nickel

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
2973 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2012  2:17 pm Show Profile Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Would this be considered "full steps"? If so, nusmismedia.com doesn't list prices for "full steps" versions under MS64, which I'm guessing this one isn't.

Please grade!

Edited by barryg
01/24/2012 3:16 pm
Valued Member
United States
63 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2012  2:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tempuss77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just FYI, your post says 1942-D, but your coin is a 1943-D.
Pillar of the Community
917 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2012  3:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LincolnGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does in fact look like a 1943 and not a 1942
Pillar of the Community
United States
2973 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2012  3:17 pm  Show Profile Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just FYI, your post says 1942-D, but your coin is a 1943-D.

Not anymore!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5986 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2012  3:19 pm  Show Profile Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like you have a planchet crack (lamination) from the rim (a little after 12 o'clock) to the top and down the back of Jefferson's Head...the reverse looks like to have at least two steps, but not FULL STEPS.
oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"

"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145

"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
Edited by oih82w8
01/24/2012 3:20 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2662 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2012  3:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That crack just yells atcha. 1st thing I saw.
Edited by fioti
01/24/2012 6:59 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2973 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2012  3:33 pm  Show Profile Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So.... What would you grade it as?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1538 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2012  3:59 pm  Show Profile Check The_Duke's eBay Listings Check The_Duke's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add The_Duke to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm thinking MS63, nice pictures.
The_Duke
ANA# 3159445
http://dukescoins.ecrater.com/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3635 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2012  4:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would say it's a 63 based on the contact marks. The crack on the obverse looks like a die crack to me. Also, there appears to be a die chip on the steps.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2973 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2012  4:51 pm  Show Profile Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All right, MS63 sounds pretty nice!

Two questions:

1. What does "Full Steps" actually mean (and why doesn't this one have full steps)?
2. Does a die crack (as opposed to PMD) add or detract from the value/grade?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3635 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2012  5:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think this coin is as close as you get to full steps without being an FS. It looks just a little light above the C. Just my opinion though.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2599 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2012  5:16 pm  Show Profile Check TJsCoins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TJsCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Am new to Jeffersons but here is my 5 cents and it might be a wooden five cents at that

Anyway. Full steps means that all of steps (5 or 6 minimum) are clear and uninterrupted all the way across. Full step nickels value at a premium and I am still looking for reference for value myself. The best place I can find so far is eBay.

I have read that different grading associations are more strict than others.

I paid 7 dollars for a raw FS the other day only to find out here on the forum that the FS is not deserved. It looked good in the loupe and showed a blur of the steps in my pics. I will be keeping that coin as reference of "almost but no cigar"; and the coin looks great otherwise. Personally I will be triple checking all FS coins in the future.

You should google FS nickels there is a lot of info out there.

I do not know if die cracks on Jeffersons add value. I do know that I would be keeping yours if I had it. Nice coin; has character!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4252 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2012  5:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheNickelGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS64 on a good day the grading service would probably give it a 5 step designation, which I think it deserves.
I don't think that the laminations detract from the mid grades. Say MS63 to MS66 but the eye appeal would be a factor as well as any hits on the coin.I don't see many hits, ticks or nicks that put me off. I think most of the marks are in the planchet before it was struck.
The wave in that middle step area on the right is strange?

I like it! Looks nice but I personally prefer no laminations on my war nickels. They technically don't knock off any points but I still think they keep it from MS65 by the graders.
The image is so nice and clear and large, I think we all see every flaw. I bet it looks much nicer in hand actual size.
Figure MS63FS or MS64 for a value? Just my best guess.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5202 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2012  6:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add D0ubl3Eagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will go with MS-64. It is very close to FS if not FS.
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2012  6:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1. What does "Full Steps" actually mean (and why doesn't this one have full steps)?

Depends who you ask. I've seen 4.6, 5, 5.5 and 6 steps used.

Quote:
2. Does a die crack (as opposed to PMD) add or detract from the value/grade?

Yes.

It adds to an inexpensive coin, but the higher the price, the more likely a potential buyer will want a discount for it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3179 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2012  8:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add upstate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS 64- Steps are interrupted above the "E"
Very nice
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05