Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Coin roll hunting: Which denomination has the best results?

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
44 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2012  11:59 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ianp to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Somewhat of an odd title..

Given that there are threads for each denomination, has anyone formed a consensus on which denomination yields the best results for coin roll hunters?

Thanks for the info!

Ian

Edited by ianp
01/26/2012 12:01 pm
Valued Member
United States
286 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2012  12:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bbradford71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It really depends on what your desired end result is. If your goal is to find some nice coins to keep and ad to a collection then look at hunting through nickel and penny rolls. If your goal is to find silver then you have dimes, quarters and halves you can search. Quarters are tough because you will not find much because they have been grabbed up pretty good. Dimes are still a decent source, you can expect to find 1 silver dime per 1-1 1/2 boxes searched. I personally like searching halves because they are not a highly circulated coin and you can find boxes that have multiple silver coins in them. I searched five boxes of halves before finding any silver but when I did get a box with silver it was 5 different silver coins. Plus you can ask tellers for loose halves and have good odds of finding silver.

Hope this helps
United States
46 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2012  12:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jdbeier38 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I find at least a couple silver war nickels per box yet can't find any silver quarters or dimes to save my life if that helps you decide at all.
Pillar of the Community
United States
623 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2012  12:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add willy13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I heard that the problem with searching dimes is that when you dump the non-silver into a coin counter machine, the machine sometimes thinks a few of them are pennies.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2012  12:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Arcadian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
good topic,

was going to ask same myself

what I get is that halves and nickels are favored

Best Regards
Stephen
United States
46 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2012  12:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jdbeier38 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's just part of the game ... no matter what a coin counting machine will generally miss a couple coins. Every time I dump $200 in nickels it comes out to $199.80 on the dot.
United States
44 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2012  1:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ianp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info.

I've searched 21 rolls of quarters and found 1 1964 silver. I know that isn't a huge sample size, but it's just my experience so far.

One of the most common older coins is 1965, which I find odd. Out of 7 rolls I searched at lunch, there were 16 1965s.

I may try half dollars. I'll head by the bank to deposit this $70 in quarters, and I'll pick up as many halfs as I can.

If they have none, I'll try dimes.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate everyone sharing their experience.
Valued Member
United States
200 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2012  1:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ngs428 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like you are looking for silver. Try halves first, then nickels. I haven't had any luck with quarters or dimes...
Valued Member
United States
292 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2012  2:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ContraJame to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd be interested in seeing this too. I know I've seen find rates all over the place along with tons of data in each thread. I'd be surprised if someone in each thread isn't keeping count and calculating find rates of, say, anything pre-1960.
Valued Member
United States
286 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2012  3:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bbradford71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I average 25 pre 1960 nickels per $100 box, if that helps
Pillar of the Community
United States
1991 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2012  7:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have searched boxes of halves for over 3 years, with lousy results, seriously bad.
Great luck with dimes though!
There is absolutely no rhyme or reason to any specific area. You won't know what's best until you get out there and try.
Oldest dug 2014: 1851 LC
Oldest dug: 1758 Reale
Minelab Explorer 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
2539 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2012  8:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tim Stroud to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There is absolutely no rhyme or reason to any specific area. You won't know what's best until you get out there and try.

This is so true. I have never found any silver dimes or quarters in rolls, but have had fantastic luck with customer rolled halves, not so good with fed rolls. Either way it is feast or famine when it comes to roll hunting.
Pay your taxes! 12 million illegal immigrants are depending on it.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."
Thomas Jefferson

Oldest Circulation Find ----- 1897S Barber quarter
Oldest Detector Find -------- 1803 Large cent

Valued Member
United States
78 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2012  11:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add corey9493 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have only done dimes, nickels and pennies. Dimes if I want silver, but they are boring, as that is pretty much the only thing I keep. Nickels are fun because I can find silver war nickels, and also look for older coins. Pennies are great because I always find some wheats, and I keep all the copper, so it seems like I am doing well when I pull 10 or more coins per roll. I switch it up between the three, to keep in interesting.

I hadn't heard about the machines shorting on the dimes, I never know how much I am returning at once, because I throw my regular daily change in the bin also, but maybe I should keep better records and see if it is being shorted...anyone have this happen to them?
Valued Member
United States
414 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2012  02:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ram96 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
we are doing nickels and quarters
Pillar of the Community
United States
1991 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2012  05:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Corey, I've been shorted on my dime count several times.
The machine has counted the dimes as cents. No problem, I take my receipt to the teller and they credit the difference to my account later.
Oldest dug 2014: 1851 LC
Oldest dug: 1758 Reale
Minelab Explorer 2
Valued Member
United States
67 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2012  7:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tealc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
speaking of the counting machines --what happens to the silver coins that customers put in? Are they rejected into the coin slot? or do they just pass through ? sometimes when I am dumping they remove bags of quarters and since I dont dump quarters I am always tempted to buy that bag LOL
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.14 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05