Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Modern Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

My awesome local coin shop

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
SJUHawks
Valued Member
United States
383 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2012  2:39 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add SJUHawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I mentioned in another post, but I am back after about a two year hiatus. I needed to sell all of my coins to pay for a swimming pool for the kids. It was a great choice, but I missed it...so now I'm back.

I got back by buying a box of nickles and cents and going through them with my kids. They love CRH'ing with me.

I needed new whitman folders for a box of dimes that I also bought. My local dealer was pleased to see me come back. I told him about our meager attempt to get back in. He made me the following proposal...he said:

"I have a bucket of nickels in the back. I've been buying a lot of collections lately, and I'll be honest with you: I take out the 50-D, and 38 & 39S and Ds, and the wartime ones, and just toss the rest in there, as it's not worth my time. I'll sell you as much as you want at face."

He said that he'd rather have me go through it with the kids, then dump it in coinstar, or sell it to someone who is just going to turn around and sell them for a profit.

I thanked him profusely, and pulled out all $69 in my pocket and took home 1,380 nickels. I started going through them with my kids and so far we've got about 3 rolls of BU 60's, at least 5 rolls of 40's and 5 rolls of 50's. I got a no date V nickel, three 1939s, one 38S, one 38D. I guess he missed some

I'm going back on Saturday to get the rest. I'll report the total when I'm done.

As he was kind enough for me, I figure I'll pass along to my fellow CCF members. Get your want lists out b/c I'll sell the 40s and 50s for face plus shipping for whatever you need to fill holes.

Just thought I'd share my happy story with everyone.

It's good to be back!

-SJU

Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2012  2:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dmagku to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PM sent and thanks for the passing on the generosity!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
10873 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2012  3:03 pm  Show Profile Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Man, that's AWESOME....isn't it great to have a good dealer near you? You should toss him a few extra bones on the next trip....or better yet...buy a few nice Jeffs from him to fill the tougher holes with quality.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
VERDI-CAREā„¢ All Metal Conservation Fluid
http://www.verdichem.com
Pillar Of The Community
United States
759 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2012  3:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add captainkurt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is sooo cool!
Valued Member
United States
383 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2012  3:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SJUHawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I get everything from him, and he knows it. He even gives my kids some cool stuff when I bring them in. He's a great guy.

On a side note, from my CRHing with the kids I found:

2 buffalos, one dateless and one 1929.
1963 dime
2009P nickel
2009D nickel
2009P dime (x2) - not sure if these are as rare as the nickel, but they seemed to be difficult to find, so I kept the extra beyond the one needed for my folder.
2009D dime
From 2 boxes of cents, I got:
28 wheats
14 Canadian cents
almost a full roll of BU 1976. This was just weird.

I got the entire clad Roosevelt set, with the exception of the 2011D. It was so much fun.
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
1151 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2012  3:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add yankee1227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your dealer sounds like a great guy!

Nice finds from searching too!

Do your kids collect too?
"I'm living for giving the devil his due, and I'm burning, I'm burning, I'm burning for you.." Blue Oyster Cult
Valued Member
United States
383 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2012  3:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SJUHawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My kids don't collect per se, but they call my collection "our" collection, since they are usually with me whenever I get anything.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1479 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2012  5:01 pm  Show Profile Check Coinstar's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Coinstar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
did you get any 70-90? I need a few of those..
"The internet? Is that thing still around?" Homer Simpson.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1151 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2012  5:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add yankee1227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hope when they get older, they don't try to sell "our" collection
"I'm living for giving the devil his due, and I'm burning, I'm burning, I'm burning for you.." Blue Oyster Cult
Valued Member
United States
312 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2012  5:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SilverEye to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Give him all the business!
Pillar Of The Community
Egypt
3470 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2012  5:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EgCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats .... you are lucky and I wish I have a dealer like yours
United States
20335 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2012  6:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice!
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn about my new avatar and my old one.

>>> Chicago Blackhawks - 2013 Stanley Cup Champions <<<

Did you know that our members sell on eBay and that there is a better way to search it?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2570 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2012  7:20 pm  Show Profile Check Earle42's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey, don't forget to check some of those for varieties also - like D/S mint marks. Kids have fun doing this also.
Visualize Whirled Peas
- Doctors with patience will lose money letting loose their patients.
- They're over there with their car.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3925 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2012  8:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great story of a fine collecting adventure .. Thanks for sharing.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Valued Member
United States
297 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2012  8:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Granite to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sent a PM. Thanks in advance if we can work anything out.
Oldest coins found in rolls/circulation:

Cent: 1915
Nickel: 1911
Dime: 1958
Quarter: 1944
Half: 1939
Valued Member
United States
295 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2012  11:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add everything to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats you got a good one, and a way to spend quality time with the young uns. my LCS calls me up to tell me that my ASE anniversary sets are not worth anything but I should sell them to him. Two times he has called, I won't even talk numbers, what a shyster. The other coin shop, I'll stop inquire about something or another, stop back in a day or two to buy item, and the price has been raised, just on the items I'm interested in. Not to complain, I know everyone wants to make a buck, just get tired of people playing stupid all the time.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05