Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 Metal Detecting Discussion Forums
 Metal Detecting

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

NC Laws Governing Metal Detecting

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
kenscott
Pillar Of The Community
United States
785 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2012  01:37 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add kenscott to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone here knows a good resource about NC laws governing metal detecting.

I know you cannot metal detect anywhere on the Outer Banks, but I was wondering about other state lands.

Thank You,

Kenscott

Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
13877 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2012  01:41 am  Show Profile Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't know about NC but come to California, where you are walking on egg shells every time you go out
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2492 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2012  08:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tim Stroud to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You cannot hunt any N.C. state lands without first obtaining a permit. Be very weary of detecting on privet property near and around state and national parks also, so as not to inadvertently stray into forbid Metal detecting in North Carolina follows the Archaeological Resources Preservation Act of 1906. Here is the law you need to know. It is not the whole thing, just the meat of it.

Code Book: General Statutes of North Carolina Citation: § 70-15 through § 70-17 Section Title:

ArArchaeological Resources Protection Act: prohibited acts and criminal penalties; civil penalties; forfeiture

Summary:Prohibits a person from excavating, removing, damaging or otherwise altering or defacing an archeological resource located on state lands, unless acting pursuant to a permit issued under § 70-13. Prohibits a person from selling, purchasing, exchanging, transporting or receiving such archeological resources, or from offering to do so. Declares that a person who violates the above provisions, or employs another person to do so, shall be fined, upon conviction, not more than $2,000 or imprisoned not more than six months, or both, for each day of continued violation. Authorizes the Department of Administration, in consultation with the Department of Cultural Resources, to assess a civil penalty of not more than $5,000 against any person who violates such provisions. Directs the Department of Administration, in determining the amount of the penalty, to consider the extent of the harm caused by the violation and the cost of rectifying the damage. Directs the department to send notice by registered or certified mail of such an assessment to the person being assessed and authorizes the department to institute a civil action in the Superior Court of Wake County if the person being assessed fails to pay the assessment. Authorizes the department to use the assessed funds to rectify the damage to archeological resources or to otherwise effectuate the purposes of this article. Declares that all archeological resources with respect to which a criminal violation has occurred, and all vehicles and equipment used in connection with such violation, shall be subject to forfeiture to the state.
Pay your taxes! 12 million illegal immigrants are depending on it.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."
Thomas Jefferson

Oldest Circulation Find ----- 1897S Barber quarter
Oldest Detector Find -------- 1803 Large cent

Pillar Of The Community
United States
785 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2012  10:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kenscott to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, that is what I was looking for.

Thank you.

Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2012  05:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I live near the Kings Mountain Battle ground in NC I know if you get caught on any of that land they will arrest you. I have family that owns quite a bit of surrounding property and its common place to find those civil war bullets and stuff when digging on their land so I bet there is allot on the battleground itself. I have heard stories of people finding quite a few things inside the battleground itself but it all has gotten turned into the park itself when found
Pillar Of The Community
United States
785 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2012  2:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kenscott to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I understand that one reason they do not wish for some to metal detect in battleground areas
is due to what happens if they run across human remains. Also, there is the concern about archaeological
research and what future technology will be able to reveal.

I live in the Asheville area so I am aware of Kings Mountain. From what I have learned growing up in this area, it
is absolutely full of history and historical areas. For now, seeing how I am completely new to this hobby, I will
try to hone my listening skills to my White's Spectrum XL detector.

Valued Member
United States
183 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2012  7:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add briank to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Kenscott, I've heard different about the Outer Banks. I've heard you can detect north of Nags Head to the Va line but south of Nags Head is a no no. Can you fill me in, I'd like to retire there and that would kill me if I couldn't detect at all there.Thanks, Brian
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05