Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is this a 1978 DDO Lincoln Penny?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
207 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2012  02:01 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add EnigmaticMindx to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hi, I'm new to this forum and just started looking for rare and error coins. So far I have been going through my change and I found this. I'm curious if it is a double die error. Also if it is worth anything more than .01 cents.
Kris

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
5006 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2012  02:12 am  Show Profile Check trout1105's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure EnigmaticMindx and
But that coin looks like it has spent a bit of time in coke/vinager
Aim to Enjoy life. You only get one shot at it
Valued Member
United States
207 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2012  02:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EnigmaticMindx to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmm is the picture not big enough? I had to resize it quite a bit to load it. It's A LOT easier to seethe details that I'm talking about from the original picture. I notice some people post picture that you click and they get bigger. Are they hosted on other sites?

Also why would someone put a penny in coke or vinegar? or is that a joke that I'm totally missing because I'm a noob? lol

ps. what I'm seeing is a possible doubling on the LIBERTY and IN GOD WE TRUST
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10877 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2012  05:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. I use photobucket to put photos on here, works great. We would need a close up photo. People that don't know any better clean coins with coke/vinegar. Never clean coins it lowers any possible value by at least half.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Valued Member
United States
207 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2012  06:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EnigmaticMindx to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, Thanks, and yes I know not to ever clean anything. I was wondering if he said that because of the pittish looking marks on it. I think that is something to do with my scanner. Every coin I have scanned looks like that, but they don't look that way in life. Well I am gonna try this photobucket thing, I'm going to try putting the embed code in this message.. hope it works :)

sorry the "liberty" one got a little blurry when I blew it up. Any idea what this is? or if it has any value? Thanks :)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10877 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2012  06:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I was wondering if he said that because of the pittish looking
I think he said that because the coin looks pinkish and dull. I don't think it's a DD but not sure what it is. Wait for a pro to come along.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11459 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2012  06:22 am  Show Profile Check coop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin does look tampered with. The color and the pitting shouldn't be there. But the devices look normal sized to me. The devices were larger then. Just part of the design. The 2001-2003 look larger than normal, but they are all that way those years. I see no evidence of hub doubling on your coin. Just a normal dipped coin.
Richard S. Cooper

Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, I've completed an Educational DVD of these. Become a supporter of this site, send me your address and I will send you a DVD. Many have loved this so far. I just completed version 11. The most updated version yet. So if you haven't got a copy yet, it is a good time to do so. I also have a DVD and one for windows media player. The one for media player is nice for your computer as it is clearer in images. Let me know which you would prefer. If you are a new member and wish the DVD, make your donation and have them pass on to me where you would like this shipped. Most have really appreciated this to increase the coin knowledge. Thanks for your support!

Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2012  11:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The doubling on GOD is evident, but it might be a machine strike (or machine doubling).

Hopefully someone can confirm it.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05