Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The next 57-D, with a new lens

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
1579 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2012  10:54 pm Show Profile Check rmpsrpms's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I've heard about the quality of Scitex scanners for a long time, but did not realize they used standard lens tech. Turns out Rodenstock made a line of lenses called Scitex S-3 for the Scitex scanners and I was the lucky bidder on a group of 3 of them, a 67mm, an 89mm, and a 110mm. To test them, I pulled out my next 57-D Lincoln Toner, #9 in the series, and imaged the obverse with the 67mm Rodenstock Scitex S-3 (67RS) and the 75ARD1. Here's the 67RS:

And here's the 75ARD1

I used the calibrated lighting setup, though the lens length caused some small differences due to perspective changes.

Has anyone heard of these Scitex lenses, or have a spec sheet on them or any info? the lens seems extremely sharp, nearly the equal of the 75ARD1. The 67mm length is too short for imaging Dollars but does a great job with Cents. I will try out the 89mm and 110mm later.

Builder of Custom Coin Photography Setups. Email me with your needs.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3038 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2012  12:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add aladinslamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ray these 67 immage's are very sharp, but one would really have to collect prior posted images from some months past to9 truely compare them to prievious posts... I truely trust your descerning eye.....However with my feeble mind....
I do remember such die scratches on the left of the coin or your 1957-D,.... and such detail on the right side of the coin as well... I am not seeing in these recent photo's...I do like your findings in this new lens!...your latest posts show it a bit superior....Even to the 75ARD which is NO SLOUCH of a lens....I've been a way for some months and always exci9ted to see your new contemplations...G
Valued Member
United States
462 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2012  1:15 pm  Show Profile Check brg5658's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add brg5658 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's an impressive comparison. To my eye, the 75ARD1 still seems to outperform this new tested lens as you depart from the center of the frame. In particular, the edges/transition around the word "GOD" is sharper with the 75ARD1. Do you happen to know how many elements the Scitex lenses are? Also, what kind of threading/mount do they have?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1579 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2012  9:29 pm  Show Profile Check rmpsrpms's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, the 75ARD1 has a flatter field than the Scitex. I don't know the construction of the Scitex lenses, and have not been able to find much info on them. Conveniently they have M39 threads like a typical enlarger lens. It looks like they typically sell for around $100, when available. There are 3 for sale by an eBay.com, and the seller is in Israel. I seem locked-out from the auction for some reason...Ray
Builder of Custom Coin Photography Setups. Email me with your needs.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05