Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

is this real? 1936 kangaroo penny?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
1119 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2012  12:21 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add erkle to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...t_955wt_1032

Pillar of the Community
Australia
853 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2012  12:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add goatieman23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes it is. It was originally called a 1936 Fantasy Crown. There were quite a few in this series. There was Australia, UK, Ceylon, South Africa & Bermuda (there may have been others too). I believe that they were also bulk made/manufactured/pressed again at some point during the 1960's.
Here's some information I found for you:
The unofficial pattern Edward VIII 1936 crown was produced in two metals - Nickel-Silver and Gilded (Golden) Bronze.
During 1965, unofficial crown size patterns of Edward VIII were offered for sale in the United Kingdom and the United States. The obverse of these patterns bore the effigy of Edward VIII and were available with four different motifs. These were: Australia - Kangaroo, United Kingdom - St. George and Dragon, Ceylon - Elephant and Bermuda - Sailing ship. All these patterns were dated 1936 and had a plain edge. These would appear to be restrikes of the patterns issued soon after the accession of Edward VIII. Originally they were struck in very limited numbers, but owing to the popularity of crown size pieces, it appears that these have now been re-struck in larger numbers.
In 1996, the Tower Mint in London released a further two unofficial Edward VIII crowns dated 1936. The coins, one struck in Copper-Nickel and the other in Gilding, each have a privy mark date below the bust on the obverse which reads '20.1.36 - 11.12.36' representing the short period of the monarch's reign before abdicating.
Edited by goatieman23
02/21/2012 12:48 am
Pillar of the Community
Australia
853 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2012  12:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add goatieman23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another thing...is it legit. It's an Unofficial coin that was considered a proof. It will never be worth much due to how many were made. I know at auction they once sold for around $50 odd. If they're only selling for $10 now then there must be no love for them.

It will never be a 1967 Swan/Goose Dollar, which is a coin I would love to have in my collection. The 'Swan' Pattern/Goose dollar has been going crazy price wise in the past five years.
Edited by goatieman23
02/21/2012 12:52 am
Pillar of the Community
1119 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2012  12:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erkle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
so basically its a novelty item? never released as real money and never released as nclt
Pillar of the Community
Australia
853 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2012  12:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add goatieman23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty much. I was looking at them maybe three odd years ago. Lucky my brain told me that it was about as useless as a blank metal disk.
I hope you didn't buy it or I'll be putting better odds on Jolly to in the big tournament.
Pillar of the Community
1119 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2012  01:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erkle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nah im not buying unless I get the bargain of the year for the next few weeks, waiting on about 12 items now. thats enough for the time being I thinks.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.12 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05