Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Numismatic Discussion Forums (Non Country Specific)
 Identification: Unidentified Coins, Medals, and Tokens

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

what are they

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
bill moyer
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  1:56 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add bill moyer to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I have several coins or tokens with the following markings on them;
two drachms H.Troemner Phila 3ii
Two drachms Phila.& N.Y. 3ii one drachm H.T.Phila 3i one drachm Phila & N.Y. 3i 2 scruples H.T.Phila with what looks like backwards 3& ii
2 scruples Phil & N.Y.with a diamond with an M inside& the same reversed 3ii half drachm Phila & N.Y. same diamond & 3ss
half drachm H.T. 3s
I know there are Drachmas & scruples.I don't know what the 3ii is for. there are no dates.I know there was a H.Troemner scale company,but I don't what these are or if anybody would want them & what they are worth.Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2618 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  2:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds as if they're weights. Could you post a pic?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2618 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  2:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You might want to take a lookie here http://www.ebay.com/csc/i.html?_nkw...0.m270.l1313
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
Australia
11041 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  8:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Correct, they are "apothecary weights". The strange symbols, such as 3, backwards e, cursive z and others, are all the traditional symbols for the weights denoted on them. These symbols date back to ancient Greek and Roman medical texts. Wikipedia.

Yes, apothecary weights do sell, especially if they can be dated to a particular time and place of manufacture.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05