Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

"Flipping" Coins - Do You Do It?

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4265 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  11:04 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Canadian-Banknotes to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Poll Question
I have always wondered how many collectors (not dealers) buy and sell, or flip coins to try and make a profit to have extra money to buy other coins for their collection.

If you do, where do you look for coins that you are buying? And what kind of profit margin are you looking for?

Poll Choices
Yes
No
Never Tried
I Would Like To Start

Anonymous Vote
Want to Buy: PCGS Graded 1878-S Morgan dollar (PO-01)
Valued Member
United States
128 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  11:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BoomerSoonerOKU to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd like to start, but I'm still learning so I'm gathering info and watching auctions & realized prices before I start putting cash down for coins I'm looking to liquidate rather than keep.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5985 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  11:30 pm  Show Profile Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sometimes it happens intentionally; I have bought coins on eBay that were erroneously listed for a quick turn for profit.

Sometimes it happens unintentionally; I bought a coin that I thought was just a victim of poor lighting/photography, and by the time I made up my mind to return it, the window closed on me (stupid tax kicked in).

But I don't make a point to let it happen too often...and it is sooo tempting at times.
oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"

"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145

"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
Edited by oih82w8
02/22/2012 11:32 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
500 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  12:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CPC24 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will "flip" 40% halves or 80% Canadian coins from banks/eBay. I sell/trade them for more 90% or hole fillers that I need.
Edited by CPC24
02/23/2012 12:17 am
Learn More...
United States
16833 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  01:04 am  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I flip 90% of what I buy.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, numismo - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
4411 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  01:16 am  Show Profile Check enworb's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do a lot of roll searching for key dates etc and then sell them on eBay. Also buy proof sets to break them up and sell individually for profit. Most of what I make gets put aside until I have enough to buy something nice I like. Best bit is my girlfriend doesnt know how much I make and therefore how much I actually spend on coins
Learn More...
Australia
11177 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  02:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No. I have never ever bought a coin thinking "I can sell that somewhere else and make a profit on it". If I buy a coin, it's because I intend to keep it.

Sometimes I have bought coins with the intent of upgrading a coin I already have, and selling the inferior one. Sometimes I'll buy a coin only to discover I already have one. Those are the only two ways I will buy and then sell a coin. On those rare occasions, I rarely pay attention to whether or not I'm making a "profit".
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10969 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  05:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have done it once intentionally. I bought a silver dime at a pawn shop and sold it at a coin shop 30 minutes later and made 45 cents profit.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Pillar of the Community
United States
3494 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  08:03 am  Show Profile Check Maineman750's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Maineman750 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I did it unintentionally until it hit me how much profit could be made while growing my collection and having fun at the same time.Methods...well it wouldn't be wise to create competition against myself now would it ?
Lincolncentresource.net
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1549 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  09:52 am  Show Profile Check glenzy1's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add glenzy1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have probably flipped my entire Collection of Canadian business strikes (1858-1967)> all six decimals at least twice in the past 15 years. This being as a result of upgrading and not intentionally trying to make a profit. If I do turn a profit, so be it, however, with the fees one pays in using E-bay/Paypal, I'm just lucky to break even most of the time.
All my sales are done on E-bay and sometimes I contact sellers I know via e-mail and ask them if they would like to trade coins for a particular piece they have. Most of the time the coins I send them is accompanied with a cheque to make up the difference in what they are asking!

Glenn
Pillar of the Community
United States
2633 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  09:59 am  Show Profile Check SeatedNut's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I focus on unattributed Morgan dollars on eBay and to a lesser extent, local shows. I've sold around $12,000 worth of my "picks" in the last year and a half to purchase more coins. My investment for those picks was less than $500. But a cautionary note ... it's getting much harder these days. There are fewer "unattributed" Morgans on the 'Bay' and competition for those that show up is fierce.
So many coins, so little time ...
Learn More...
United States
21390 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  10:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Never tried. Probably never will. I get too attached to what I acquire.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1477 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  12:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bizybackson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, probably never will start. It's ok to buy unattributed VAMs and errors and sell them for what they are, but it's morally and ethically troublesome to buy coins for the express purpose of flipping them for profit, unless one is a professional coin dealer. The A25 frenzy comes to mind, the haves lorded and congratulated themselves over the have nots all over the Internet, CCF included. You know, the number of coin buyers isn't that large, and isn't really appreciably growing because of the perceived rapaciousness and avarice in the "hobby," a case of cheating Peter to pay Paul. It's completely different if someone is registered with a tax-exempt ID to sell coins, that's a business, but that too, has a limit, which is so frequently exceeded by the big box profiteers like HSN, MCM, etc. It is not a surprise that numismatics is less popular than it was 30-40 years ago. Potential collectors get scared off by the initial cash outlay for even the most basic collection, aside from pocket change, not to mention the prevelance of fakes, and the ease with which a newbie can be fleeced in the marketplace.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3632 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  12:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Never even thought about it but I really need to start focusing on unloading my doubles and triples.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1094 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  1:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add allranger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"...it's morally and ethically troublesome to buy coins for the express purpose of flipping them for profit..."

What?
Pillar of the Community
United States
560 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  1:32 pm  Show Profile Check mmorgan22's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add mmorgan22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I sell off my duplicates and such to upgrade some coins. I have intentionally bought coins in order to trade them for another coin that I did want. When I buy bulk world coins I end up only needing a handful for my collection and the others I will sell off. I just don't want all my money tied up in generic world coins that are a dime a dozen.
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05