Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Dansco is doing a bunch of updates!

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
3904 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  6:35 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

So it seems that Dansco is revamping several albums to account for recent changes in US coinage. I thought it would be useful to have a thread to discuss the changes and members' strategies for working the upgrades into their collection.

I'm aware of the following changes:

Lincoln Cents:

#7100 is being modified - it will now be circulation issues, 1909-2009, and the last page will have 24 blank holes. Previously it was dated to 2016. It will still be 8 pages. It seems that it will have the same holes for varieties (1922 plain, 1960 and 1960-D small and large date, 1970-S small date, the 1982 zinc/copper, P/D, small/large and the 4 designs for 2009).

#7102 is getting the same change. It will be 1959-2009, circulation issues, four pages, 24 blank holes on the last page. It's identical to a #7100 minus the first four (wheat) pages.

#7104 is new and will be shield cents, 2010-present. It's two pages, but the second page is undated for now.

Presumably there will be no more update pages for the #7100 and #7102. Existing owners can probably just add the new #7104 and maybe get the new last page for the #7100/#7102 if they really want the last page to have the blank holes instead of dated. 24 blank holes leaves lots of opportunity to get creative and fill in some major varieties like the missing 1974 large/small dates, and some of the doubled dies and RPMs from throughout the series.

#8100 will have slots for circulation issues from 1909-2009 (same as the #7100), plus holes for proofs from 1975-2009 and will be 9 pages. I don't know what changes relative to the current version of this album. It appears to have 21 blank holes at the end.

#8102 is getting the same change and will be 5 pages (#8100 minus the first four wheat pages.)

#8104 is the new circulation plus proof for 2010-present shield cents. Like the #8104, only the first page is dated.

I don't know enough about proofs to suggest what motivates 1975 as the cut-off date, but 21 blank holes would let you fill in a lot of the earlier ones.

Jefferson Nickels:

#7113 is going to be 1938-2005, and will have 21 blank holes on the last page, and will remain at 5 total pages.

#8113 is getting the same treatment. It will be 1938-2005 circulation strikes, plus proofs from 1971-2005. It will be 6 pages with 18 blank holes.

#7114 and #8114 are the new 2006-present albums for circulation and circulation+proof respectively. Both are two page albums with the second page blank.

Type:

They are still working on updating the #7070. I have no idea what is going to change with this. I hope the new issues are integrated with the rest of their denominations instead of having a separate "modern" and "bicentennial" pages. I wish they take this as an opportunity to include a few of the more significant overlooked types (I'd love to see arrow-and-ray holes and three types for 3 cent silvers.)

Learn More...
United States
21729 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  6:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for posting the update! I was getting ready to go look for it after the mention in the other thread.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Pillar of the Community
United States
6039 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  6:43 pm  Show Profile Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I too would want to have the "Arrows and Rays" types placed into the 7070 Album. The Type III SLQ (recessed date), Mint Mark on the Obverse Walking Liberty Half, 40% Sliver Kennedy, 40% IKE, ...I need to stop.

I realize that the Dansco 7070 is for major types...

This is the main reason I have made my own 7070-type set in slab form. So many different types out there that are overlooked.
oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"

"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145

"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
Edited by oih82w8
02/23/2012 6:45 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3904 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  6:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, there has to be a line drawn with the major and minor types, but everyone draws it differently. Arrows and rays seems to be major, IMO. I agree about the SLQ types, and the different compositions for JFKs and Ikes... I don't agree with the mintmark position on Walkers (though I never object to having more of them!) The mint-mark moved on nickels, quarters and dimes too. Those are a major visual design difference.

I could argue for two types for Mercury dimes (technically three, but the difference between the type of 1917 and the type of 1918-1945 is extremely minor). I am aware of at least six easily distinguished types for Buffalo nickels, but you'd have to be pretty OCD to care about them. 1917 SLQs have design differences from 1916, but it would be insane to require 1916 for a type album based on those.

I can also see why they don't include certain really expensive types (e.g. the 18th century ones) and why the gold page is separate.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
263 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  6:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coinmap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Argggh, I hate blank holes in an album!

I guess I will just have to wait until the page is completed, and I am sure that they will come out with updated pages.
Valued Member
United States
245 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2012  3:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ljenkins990 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like I'll be purchasing an 8104 and 8114 a little later this year... Probably a couple of update pages too. Gotta keep those albums looking clean!

I'll be interested to see if anything develops on the 8166 Kennedy w/proof album. I originally bought mine years ago and, when I took up my collection again in 2011, I had to add a couple of update pages to it to get caught up. Now it's really got too many pages in it and I know I need to get an updated binder... but currently I only have slots up through 2012-P and D. It's a pretty thick and heavy album already and I was wondering if there are any plans to start a second Kennedy album. The way it is now, if the Kennedy series goes another 10 years, the filled Dansco will weigh a TON!
Learn More...
United States
21729 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2012  3:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My original Kennedy album only has four pages (it is a 5/8" binder, so it only holds four). It runs to 1991-S with two extra holes (I put a duplicate 1964 P and D set there).

Rather than buy a new album, I started a second Half Dollar album with blank pages. It runs from 1992 to 2011, one year of P/D/S/S-Silver on each row. I love how the proofs line up on each page!

I am not sure about a third album yet because I do not know how much longer the Kennedy will be minted. I will probably wait a few years before making a decision.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Pillar of the Community
United States
535 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2012  5:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RPT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The albums 8113 (Jefferson with proof), 8166 (Kennedy with proof), and 8183 (Sacagawea with proof) all need new pages for 2012. Some of my Littleton Albums also need new pages for 2012.
Learn More...
United States
21729 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2012  6:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Once my cent, nickel, and dime albums were full, I created a new album with blank cent, nickel, and dime pages. This custom album holds all of the ongoing releases.

Now I call the other albums complete and will not have a fit when they stop minting the cent and nickel, leaving those empty holes.

It worked out especially well for the cent and nickel. Had I upgraded the binder size and added the proper pages (available at the time), I would have had to replace those pages to allow for the special 2009 cents and 2004~2005 nickels. By using undated pages, I could fill them on the fly.

Pillar of the Community
United States
685 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2012  2:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spaceace to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was happy to see a new Lincoln shield cent album in the works. I will pick that one up (with proofs) to continue my Lincoln collection. Any idea when they will be released? It seems like it would be pretty easy to change some dates and titles and fire up the printers and turn them out quickly.
Valued Member
United States
208 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2012  09:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rewster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It runs from 1992 to 2011, one year of P/D/S/S-Silver on each row. I love how the proofs line up on each page!

That drives me nuts that they don't line up in my album. Glad I'm not the only one!

Quote:
I was happy to see a new Lincoln shield cent album in the works.

I've never uderstood why Dansco doesn't offer seperate Wheat cent and Memorial cent albums in the 8000 proof series. To me it would make the most sense to split up the Lincolns into 3 seperate albums.
Learn More...
United States
21729 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2012  11:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I've never uderstood why Dansco doesn't offer seperate Wheat cent and Memorial cent albums in the 8000 proof series.
I understand the wheat cents not having an 8xxx album, but the Memorial Cents should since the proof holes in the 8100 album are all Memorial cents.

Valued Member
United States
256 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2012  10:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jwguts to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Once a Dansco book finishes, I like the idea of creating a blank album and putting pages in there as needed. By the time a page actually fills, it can then be moved into an appropriate new album if desired.
Learn More...
United States
14291 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2012  10:56 pm  Show Profile Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm still contemplating the idea of buying blank pages and starting a customized Colonial type album. Since most are of varying diameters, I would have to find a way to custom cut out or punch the holes out. Hmmm
johnny54321 - John Brawner, my eternal friend. You will be missed by your CCF Family.

CCF members sell on eBay!

vermontensium's coins for sale :p
Dave - ANA LM1214396, C4, EAC
Learn More...
United States
21729 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2012  11:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I want to convert my Dansco dark side albums, getting them out of 2x2 vinyl pages and into the regular pages. I have been trying to calculate how many of each mm size I need and then how to organize it. I never like the results.

I like your idea of custom punching each page, but I am not sure how to do it either; at least not how to do it and it still look good.

My latest idea is examining ways to shim the smaller coins into bigger holes, then just getting most of the pages the same mm size (except at least one for the largest coins).

Learn More...
United States
14291 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2012  11:18 pm  Show Profile Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Johnny54321 told me apparently, they come in pre-set size diameters...21,22,25, etc.
If, in my case, a Colonial is too large, cut out the hole somehow...haven't figured that part out yet :o
Guess it's better to buy smaller than larger diameter.
johnny54321 - John Brawner, my eternal friend. You will be missed by your CCF Family.

CCF members sell on eBay!

vermontensium's coins for sale :p
Dave - ANA LM1214396, C4, EAC
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 5.02 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05