Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Numismatic Discussion Forums (Non Country Specific)
 Main Coin Forum

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

They stole my fathers coins..... but " it wont happen to me"

Previous Page | Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1098 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  8:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mitchhailey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The best security system is secrecy, then locked doors with a big loud dog behind them. Beyond that safes are a great idea and guns are a must.

I like my Glock, Mossberg and Diamondback .380 but last year I added a Saiga-12 with a couple 25 round drum mags just for overkill and in case I needed to disable someones getaway vehicle. I also recently picked up an Alexander Arms M4 in 6.5 Grendel for added range in case someone decided to steal a neighbors' coins; I got my 'hood covered with interlocking fields of fire and can pick 'em off from my bedroom window without ever getting out from under my comforter.

I'll be picking up a Kimber .45 1911 soon, too, so no matter where I or my wife are located in the house there will be a firearm handy and a bad guy would have a bad night. But like someone above said, I'd rather someone tried to do it while I or my family wasn't home because, unfortunately for would-be-theif, my dog is always home.

Valued Member
United States
287 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  8:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add VetStudent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry to hear about the old man's loss...hopefully they might be recovered
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
2883 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  9:10 pm  Show Profile Check Libertad's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add Libertad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's all good until they steal your guns, too. You only have two arms, ya know... Best place to hide stuff is in plain sight.
http://gtacoins.ecrater.com
Want to Buy or Trade: Nuevos Pesos Méxicanos UNC!: P95, P96, P97, P98, P99, P105a and P105b. :)
Valued Member
United States
284 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  11:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DM1975 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry for the loss. When something like that gets stolen it isn't just the physical items, but the time and effort put into those collections that get robbed too. As said, no security plan is full proof. I lock my doors, have an alarm system, fence, dogs, diversionary methods in place, and I carry a loaded weapon at all times at home or away. I also have various weapons in different areas of the house and my house is rarely left unoccupied. I am not saying it can't happen to me, I'm just saying it won't happen because I failed to try and prevent it is all. I truly hope he recovers all of the coins.
Pillar Of The Community
1119 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2012  12:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erkle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to remove my lock box you need to touch 2 items at the same time, amazing what happens if these 2 pieces are both metal and have 240v hooked up so that contact completes the circuit. only turned on when I leave the house and turned off and on simply by treading in the right spot. I also have my own warning light incase I forget, fingers crossed that doesnt happen
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1934 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2012  06:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add j_h_s to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm inclined to agree with funny money...and I wondered what else they stole.
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
20306 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2012  11:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am not saying it can't happen to me, I'm just saying it won't happen because I failed to try and prevent it is all.
This is important.

While you cannot make guarantees, I feel it helps knowing you did what you could to prevent a bad situation.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn about my new avatar and my old one.

>>> Chicago Blackhawks - 2013 Stanley Cup Champions <<<

Did you know that our members sell on eBay and that there is a better way to search it?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8227 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2012  1:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Last week my insurance agent told me that my homeowner's policy will not cover coin collections, only up to $100 in cash. I could get an expensive rider after a professional appraisal.

Check with Hugh Wood. They offer insurance for collectors and they are the firm of choice by the ANA. Their rates tend to be much lower than the typical homeowners policy rider and from what I understand they don't require a detailed appraisal. But they do require itemized listings of all pieces worth over I believe $10,000.
Edited by Conder101
02/29/2012 1:09 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
516 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2012  1:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Freedom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm sorry to hear that. I keep the majority of my coins in a SDB. 6 years now, never had a problem. I do keep those I sell in a location of the house thats very secret. I also have a .45 auto ready to go. My buddy is an LAPD detective. He once told me if you fly an American flag outside your home, most suspects he arrests, tell him they stay away from those homes because most are gun owners.

Same thing my friend in Seattle said when we lived there. He is an officer with the Seattle PD. After looking down our street, I know which homes have gun owners and every single one of them are flying the Red, White and Blue.

Now if I could just get rid of the crack house across the street, I would be good to go. And always have a handgun hidden next to the safe(On the outside), locked and cocked just in case.....
Valued Member
United States
312 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2012  3:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SilverEye to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the collection was of circulating coins, call Coinstar NOW. They may be able to check the bags and return the coins. Just last month up here in Oregon some jerk son stole his father's collection and dumped it in Coinstar and the coins were recovered.
Valued Member
United States
266 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2012  7:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add f16 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry to hear that to ccf
Edited by f16
03/02/2012 7:22 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
522 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2012  11:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add deadmunny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Besides the coin shops in the area, notify the pawn shops. Its surprising the number of thieves that have been nabbed this way. There are times when the coin shops have been notified after the thief has pawned stuff, but many times they return for a repeat sale and that's when they get snared.
Valued Member
United States
287 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  11:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cali_Nick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sad to hear. I have a suspicious mind that always wants to find an obvious answer. If your house has been safe for 30 years and suddenly its robbed, Id make an exact list of who recently has been there, maybe someone found out your father had a coin collection, maybe a friend casually mentioned it to someone else or in mixed company not even thinking he was doing anything wrong. Sounds pretty suspicious to me. I dont like to believe in random crime. (I know it happens I just hate to believe it)

A good German Shepard and great neighbors who you trust are the only things that will watch your house when you are gone.

One thing I really want to do, but have been too lazy thus far, is too buy one of those 4-camera security systems from Costco(or any store). It comes with four night-vision cameras and a receiver/box with a hard-drive to record the video. You can connect the box to your home internet network and check the live cameras from any computer when your away from home. They even have systems with wireless cameras(more expensive) You could also keep an eye on what the kids or dogs are doing while your away...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  10:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry to hear about your father's coins being stolen.

Like others have said, it doesn't sound like a random crime, especially if nothing else was taken.

And if he had any rare coins, you'll want to post them around to see if any turn up, especially to the ANA and PNG. It could help catch the thieves.
http://www.pngdealers.com/

And check local pawn shops.
I've been collecting, since 1975.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1000 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  6:26 pm  Show Profile Check matchbox's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add matchbox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh rats, another thief story. I'm sorry to hear about your Dad's collection. Someone coming into your house and taking things is such an incredible feeling of violation. I hope he can recover what was stolen.

Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05