Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Who can still get Ike dollars from their local bank?

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
851 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  3:32 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Darth Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I was just wondering if anyone here at CCF can still get Eisenhower dollars readily from their local bank. My credit union tells me that they can't order these. Are there any known branches that can still order these? Thanks.

My Australian High Relief Silver Kangaroo NGC Registry Set:
http://coins.www.collectors-society...SetID=167817

My Eisenhower dollar Complete Variety PCGS Registry Set:
http://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/pub...spx?s=119137
Pillar of the Community
United States
3904 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  3:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
None of my banks order them, but occasionally they'll have some, so I always ask.
Rest in Peace
United States
3039 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  4:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add numismo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I always ask. I've gotten 3 rolls of Ikes in 4 years from my local banks. I can't even get half dollars from them here in s. Florida.
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  4:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MuncyCoinMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most of the older banks do still have Ike's here, you just have to ask the right tellers. As far as ordering goes, I don't believe they can specify what for dollars they want if/when they do order. Might be possible with the Presidential Dollars from the previous years, but I'd highly doubt the Ike's
Pillar of the Community
United States
1392 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  5:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SteveCaruso to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Over here in Jersey it's a crapshoot when it comes to Ikes. It all depends on what was deposited the previous week. :-)

They are considered non-current, hence they don't travel much.
-Steve (GSNA R-2306)
The Black Cabinet
A Database of Counterfeit Coins.
Counterfeit identification and attribution services.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12953 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  6:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
By me even asking for those is a joke. First of all I would have to explain what they are or were. Then I'd have to know how to say it in Spanish. Then I'd be sent to an officer since the tellers would think I'm trying to rob them or something. Eventually I'd leave and go to a fast food place and again, not be able to order anything in English.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
6037 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  6:24 pm  Show Profile Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had to replace a phone recently...for "pressing 1 for English" too many times...and the Zero button to get connected to an actual person.
oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"

"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145

"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
Edited by oih82w8
02/28/2012 6:24 pm
Valued Member
United States
167 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  7:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ibab to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I find them occasionally. I never asked about them actually ordering - I'm doubting it - but i'll check
Valued Member
United States
288 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  8:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add VetStudent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
negative on Ikes!
Pillar of the Community
United States
851 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  10:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Darth Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the responses. I've been told before that if a bank has them on hand it's because someone just happened to deposit them there, much the same as SteveCaruso said. I've been asking my bank from time to time. The best I was able to get before were 14 half dollars and 1 SBA. Too bad the half dollars weren't Franklins.
My Australian High Relief Silver Kangaroo NGC Registry Set:
http://coins.www.collectors-society...SetID=167817

My Eisenhower dollar Complete Variety PCGS Registry Set:
http://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/pub...spx?s=119137
Valued Member
384 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2012  10:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coincollector123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its all on luck. There are times when I ask for half dollars and I will hear a cling of a large dollar so I take those too. A few banks know me and just save them up for me. If I get lucky I can get 1 or 2 a week. Three times I have hit a lot of more than 60 Ikes. They are getting harder and harder to get but their value is staying the same.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9076 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2012  11:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have to figure the Fed is sitting on a bunch of them, and I can't see why they wouldn't ship them out if requested. The problem is how to request them, and getting the banks to try. The problem comes from the form used by the bank to order coins and currency from the Fed, there is no spot on the form for requesting the large size Ike dollars. Many years ago I did have success from getting them to write in the request on the form. Whether or not that would still work I do not know. The problem is getting them to take the initiative to do something that is not the standard procedure. They look at the form don't see any spot to fill in and report that it can't be done.
Edited by Conder101
02/29/2012 11:29 am
Valued Member
United States
383 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2012  11:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SJUHawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I always ask and occasionally get a few. Two years ago the teller said that she had "a lot" so I said I'll take them all. She pulled out 100 of them. I sold them the next day at a garage sale for $125.
Pillar of the Community
United States
500 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2012  12:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CPC24 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've found a few here and there; sometimes 6 or 7 at once. They're usually dropped off by customers.
Valued Member
474 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2012  8:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FlipOfACoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here in central Alabama it is unlikely that any of the major bank branches will have Ike dollars sitting around. I do ask, but with little luck. The tellers keep trying to give me 'gold dollars.'

I was recently told by a friend who is a VP with Regions Bank that at their main office in Birmingham, there are several cases in the back of the vault. I think I will be calling in a favor to said VP and see if I can get some coin love from Regions!

It also seems to difficult to get Kennedy halves as well. I wonder what the deal is...
Pillar of the Community
527 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2012  8:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheDanMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah it seems to be all about luck. I actually picked up $9 in Eisenhower's at a PNC Bank branch, and spent one on a sweet tea at McDonalds today. The cashier said "whoa" at the sight of the dollar coin. Before I spent it, I checked to see if it was a 40% silver or even a 1973 date, and it wasn't; neither were the others.

And when I asked about the dollar coins at Wells Fargo, I was told that a teller has some in her drawer, but she was off today, but will be in tomorrow. I am crossing my fingers and hoping for something good!
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.03 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05