Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Who can still get Ike dollars from their local bank?

Previous Page | Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
1029 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2012  12:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ghostrider to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is SW FL it is really a matter of a hit or miss proposition. I keep asking and more often than not the banks don't have them here. One teller asked me why I'm always asking for them. I tell her quite honestly that I like to play poker with them because I like the old time western gamblers like Maverick. Later when she finally found an Ike she kept it for me and I gave her enough extra so that she could get a cup of coffee. She like the gesture and has saved more for me.

I also get the Susan B's and the Sacagawea dollars also. The Susan B's because they are an older series and the Sac's because they are current. I'm still on the fence about the Presidential series even though they are new and you can get good quality circulating coins.
United States
14 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2012  08:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jeff 31 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey guys, new member here. Back before Wachovia became part of Wells Fargo, I was able to order Ikes from two different branches. The first branch was getting them $100 at a time for me, and I ordered a total of about 22 bags over several months. They eventually indicated there was an internal fee for this "special order" and started to back off ordering for me. In the mean time, I found another branch that would order as many as I wanted, and never mentioned the fee. Over about 8 months in 2010-2011, I got 11 bags of $1000 worth of Ikes. I went through them for varieties and silver, then sold bulk lots of the rest on eBay or direct to individuals. The really cruddy ones got deposited at my "dump" bank. I think the last of the 11 bags was ordered by Wells Fargo, but then they told me they weren't allowed to order them anymore. It was definitely a good time while it lasted. Here are the totals of what I pulled:

2 Morgans (oldest 1885)
5 Peace dollars
6 Silver Ike Proofs
16 Clad Ike Proofs
5 NIFC 73/73D
20+ 1972 Type 2 (I lost the exact count)
1 1971D Friendly Eagle Variety (I didn't know to look for this one until I was well into searching. I actually bought 299 uncirculated 1971D's from a teller, but sold them before I knew to look for the FEV!)

Valued Member
United States
167 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2012  4:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ibab to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow a thousand at a clip. I was normally happy to get a roll.
Valued Member
United States
67 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2012  5:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tealc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a few of the Silver Ikes -- They are really a neat coin to look at !
Pillar of the Community
United States
764 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2012  7:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coindog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I'm in the bank I usually ask for the "big dollars" due to the fact that no one knows what they are and it yeilds results better then Ike dollars.
ANA member #3169039
Valued Member
United States
274 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2012  7:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NYBrian84 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Before I knew that only some of the Ike dollars were silver, a teller told me he had a bunch, and asked if I wanted them. I got SO excited because I thought I hit the jackpot. After a little research, I realized I hadn't. But now I always ask if they have the "big dollars". Like Coindog said, that has proved to be a lot more successful.
Valued Member
United States
283 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2012  10:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add grime5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i stoped at a bank in knoxville tn this summer and got 135 then at at bank around here and got 90.i ask at every bank I go into.most weeks its none.later greg
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  02:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
, ghostrider and jeff 31!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1195 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  09:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add argentum to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Getting more active in my hunt and filed under "it cant hurt," I've personally left my number at one branch of my bank that I use frequently, telling them to give me a ring if they get any Ikes, Halves, or foreign coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
674 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  03:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perfessor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I usually ask for half dollars (to search and spend) when I go to the bank. Last month at one bank, I asked if the teller had any half dollars. She replied that she had no half dollars but she had a bunch of "Kennedy dollars". I gave her a puzzled look then asked to see one. They were Ikes. She had 78 of them. I only bought 5. When I go back there next week, I will buy the rest if she still has them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1635 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  7:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add M0nks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
usually I ask for large dollars and I get a few ikes nothing special really one time a lady before me returned about 20 I scooped those up
Valued Member
United States
76 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  7:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RealMetal to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Try grocery stores.

I just got 20 Ikes at the grocery store service counter last Friday (I ask for dollar coins). I didn't know they even had these and they still got some. I will get the rest of them when I get more paper dollars. They also have halves and SBA's along with the presidential dollars.

At one of the branches of my bank I asked about Ikes and the teller said that they get first dibs on them so no luck there.
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2013  10:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gamesthatgo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It seems you can sell them on eBay for about $1.50 to $2.00 when there is nothing special about it. I found a few at the various banks I check and plan to sell the ones I don't need in my 3 collections. I am also ready to give up on finding the few I need to plug holes in my collection and just buy them. Does anyone know a better source for buying circulated coins than eBay?
Valued Member
United States
456 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2013  11:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jpsned to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
oih82w8--she didn't know the difference between Kennedy and Eisenhower? Reminds me of when I worked at the credit union--you meet some of the most uninspiring people there.

perfesser--your story reminds me of my favorite bumper sticker: "Why the heck should I have to press 1 for English?"

Edited by jpsned
02/19/2013 11:05 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2073 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2013  11:31 am  Show Profile Check solotime's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add solotime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
By me even asking for those is a joke. First of all I would have to explain what they are or were. Then I'd have to know how to say it in Spanish. Then I'd be sent to an officer since the tellers would think I'm trying to rob them or something. Eventually I'd leave and go to a fast food place and again, not be able to order anything in English.

Sound's like my area! In Pennsylvania it's just like that. Really dumb workers, they don't always understand what you're trying to order. Plus most of them don't speak English.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05