Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Modern Coin Grading

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

1932 s Washington Quarter, grade & authenticity help

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
murrellington
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3206 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  3:41 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add murrellington to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I'm not too familiar with fakes, or with this washington quarter series. Does anything on this coin look wrong? The mm looks a little strange to me, is that normal? And the weight is supposed to be 6.3 but this one weighs 6.18, is that a big deal? Please offer a grade and whether you assume this is real or not.

Oldest Coins Found in Circulation:
Cent: 1907 Indian (roll)
Nickel: 1916 Buffalo (roll)
Dime: 1926 Mercury (roll)
Quarter: 1941 Washington (bank tray)
Half: 1946 Walking Liberty (bank tray)
Dollar: 1971 Ike (bank tray)
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  4:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
weight within tolerance, S looks bad.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5602 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2012  12:49 am  Show Profile Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's little doubt you have a genuine 1932 Washington quarter.

The mintmark looks suspect. The MM should blended into the field since it should have been struck from the same material. That MM looks "on" the surface. Can you see a seam between the MM and the surrounding field?

Really needs professional, in-hand authentication to be sure.
ANA #R3154474
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3206 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2012  12:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add murrellington to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What do you mean by a seam? And if there is a seam, does that mean its okay, or added mint mark?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3206 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2012  03:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add murrellington to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are some comparisons from the mint mark of my coin, and some quarters on the PCGS site. Mine is the left, PCGS coins on the right. The first one is XF40 and the second AU53.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
4819 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2012  07:17 am  Show Profile Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You could always check the MM by soaking the coin in acetone and then flicking the MM with a toothpick, unless it was soldered on it should pop off if glue or similar adhesive was used. The MM does look a touch weird, but it's a hard call from the photos of your coin. The coin is fairly weakly struck especially on the reverse, which is a good indicator of genuine. Is that a die crack coming out of the bust on the obverse? If so that is also an indicator of a genuine piece. Also a die crack should run through BUS on the motto on the reverse. Here are some of the diagnostics to look for including a great old shot from ANAAB Electron microscope I worked with back in the early 1980's showing an extreme close up of an added MM with a seam.

http://blog.davidlawrence.com/index...rfeit-coins/

Your coin has a good reeded edge, check on the part closest to the MM for any signs of re-cutting one counterfeit trick is to tap a hole on the side then use a small punch to push up a new MM, they fill the hole and re-cut the reeding on the edge. Most fake MM will be filled and not open on the S and the D, though the S MM is often found with heavy die polish around it, making it appear to be raised up like an island around a moat.

From what I see in your photos it looks good, but I'd want to see it in hand and get a second opinion myself, if it was my money buying it raw.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982 • EAC Member #6202 • NBS Member • 2¢ variety collector.
Edited by westcoin
02/29/2012 07:25 am
Valued Member
344 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2012  08:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chris beatie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well imo its definitely a real 1932 washington. The question is if the "S" is real. More detailed photos are needed cause I dont think any of us can be certain either way without them.
Valued Member
344 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2012  09:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chris beatie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also just for future info Murrey quarters are 6.25 not 6.3 So a 6.18 is very realistic.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3206 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2012  1:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add murrellington to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
wish I had a microscope to take better pictures. Can you guys recommend a nice scope to take pictures with that is relatively cheap, and that can maybe take pictures of whole coins, even up to the size of Morgan dollars? because all I have been using so far is my phone, and I want better pictures.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3206 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2012  2:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add murrellington to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I'll just return it. As much as I like it, I have no experience with added mint marks, and I don't have anything to take better pictures with :/ I'd rather have one that I know for sure is genuine.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5602 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2012  4:53 pm  Show Profile Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How much did you pay for it and where did you get it? If genuine, it is a valuable coin.
ANA #R3154474
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3206 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2012  5:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add murrellington to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ebay, $210. Just not sure how I can authenticate it without sending it into a TPG. I have 7 days after purchase to notify the seller I want a return.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
896 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2012  5:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LincolnGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have 7 days after purchase to notify the seller I want a return.

Yes BUT paypal will cover you for 45 days.
I am looking for toned uncirculated Lincolns. PM me if you want to get rid of any.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3206 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2012  5:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add murrellington to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What do you mean? Even if his policy only says 7 days, I really have 45? what does that mean about people with no return policy, you can still return?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
896 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2012  5:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LincolnGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thats why I dont like to sell on eBay. If you use paypal you have to play by their rules.
I sold something on eBay with "no returns" and 20 days after they got it they wanted to return it. I talked to some people and they said it would be in my best intrest to accept return because the buyer could still get a refund from paypal.

As far as I know even if you state no returns on eBay you can still claim "item not discribed" with paypal and still get your money back.
Maybe someone with more paypal experience can clear this up.
I am looking for toned uncirculated Lincolns. PM me if you want to get rid of any.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5075 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2012  7:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add D0ubl3Eagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't say for sure if the coin is genuine but I don't see any obvious signs that it is not. The mintmark look boxy and tall which is characteristic of both the D and the S. I notice that some of the other posters think that the mintmark is potentially suspect. If I recall it correctly from the authentication class I took at the ANA in Boston, there is a saying that I think applies to both of the D and the S; If it looks good it is probably bad, if it looks bad it is probably good. You should get it authenticated or return it. You don't want to lose sleep over this.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05