Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Inherited collection (mostly Australian). What to do with it

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Australia
11 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2012  07:36 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add swigman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hi all, I have recently inherited as part of my parents estate about 100 coins. All have seen better days in terms of condition.

Roughly 60% would be Australian and of that 50% would be pre-decimal.
There are also a few from their travels over the years including a few from Africa (Zim, SA & Rhodesia) as they spent many years there in the early sixties.

It is quite a mixed bag with a bunch of 1966 50c to a 1910 British penny, a couple of 1954 florins and a 1927 Parliament house florin, various pennies, sixpences and commemorative 50c pieces.

I don't believe there is necessarily anything remarkable amongst them but after spending a few nights on these forums I am sure that I know nothing about what I am looking at :)

I am located in Darwin and there are no coin shops or valuers that I am aware of.

Can anyone suggested an approach to passing these on to someone who might get some enjoyment from them for a sensible price?

Pillar of the Community
Australia
518 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2012  07:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AaronG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

First off, do you think you could show us a few pics? Depending on the year of the coin, mintage figures, grade etc depends on the value of the coin. Also don't get sucked in by dealers offering you money for your coins, they will offer you half of the coins value lol.

Hope this helps.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
503 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2012  07:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FNQ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As you're net savvy, eBay.com.au could be worthwhile.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2760 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2012  08:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Peter THOMAS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin Bear in The Star Arcade: I've bought from him, but never sold to him. He's a businessman.
Silver is over $1 per gram.
Apart from that, circulated coins of low value aren't worth much, even if they're a few decades old.
I buy unsorted foreign coins for $15 per kg.
And Australian pre-decimal bronze for $20/kg (including postage).
Ebay is a big market = many buyers, but to benefit, you need to know what you're selling, and how to present it.
If you have any questions, just ask ...
Peter, in Malak
Pillar of the Community
Australia
503 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2012  09:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FNQ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you want a better idea of what you're looking at (along with some ballpark figures) a few options that would be worthwhile considering for your Australian coins include;

Online:
Blue Sheet website (mintages, bullion value, baseline values)
http://www.bluesheet.com.au/Austral...h%20Coinage/

Offline:
Both of these are probably available at the library, otherwise try your local newsagent.
• Greg McDonald's Australian Coins and Banknote Guide
• Renniks Australian Coin & Banknote Values

Bear in mind that the "market value" for selling generally is priced at a substantial discount to "book value". If you go into it thinking about half, you shouldn't be disappointed, and coins in better grades can often attract a lot of attention.
Pillar of the Community
Egypt
3470 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2012  12:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EgCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF
Pillar of the Community
United States
1711 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2012  3:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parklane64 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't forget not to clean them.

Pillar of the Community
Australia
4411 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2012  3:50 pm  Show Profile Check enworb's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

If you can be bothered put some of the better looking stuff up in the grading section. We all like to have a look at them!
Valued Member
Australia
312 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2012  6:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ADMISLSE to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
can we have the list? and pictures? so we will be able to say something.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
869 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2012  7:09 pm  Show Profile Check Jeff's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jeff to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome swigman. Why not take up coin collecting -what a very good starter pack you already have.

Best way to realise is probably eBay but you need to check out other sellers to work out how to best divide into most saleable lots. Also, can be very time consuming.
Try a search for "1966 round", select "Bullion" category and "Completed listings" to get a good idea of some you could list.

Easiest way to realise is at a dealer. I think Brian at Coin Bear is reasonable. I have sold to him and bought from him before. However, like most dealers, he has to make a living and is only really going to be interested in the better coins and won't offer much for the rest.
He sells on eBay under the name woof-back.

You can't sell them here until you have another 249 posts!

Jeff

PS. If you put your contact email address in your forum profile you might even get some enquiries from here.

"If you want to know what God thinks of money, look at the people He gives it to." Joe Moore
Edited by Jeff
03/01/2012 7:12 pm
Australia
11 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2012  8:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add swigman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you everyone for your responses. I figured that a request for pics would come pretty quickly after posting. I will try and take some group shots today but I doubt both my camera and photographic skills.

And thanks for the advice in advance. Reading through the forums got me a bit interested in 'noodling' 2 large money boxes I have had floating around for a few years so I hit the bank this morning to get some coin bags.

Cheers Swiggy
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2012  9:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
, swigman!
Australia
11 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2012  10:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add swigman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
some pics

Australia
11 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2012  10:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add swigman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Australia
11 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2012  10:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add swigman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Australia
11 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2012  10:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add swigman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05