Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1883H 5 Cents Victoria

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
140 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  01:20 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Stutzman108 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Ok, so this one was sort of an impulse buy.. I know this is a damaged coin, but I'm still thinking at least VG 8 (hoping anyway). If not, I can always turn it in for it's melt value

http://www.ebay.com/itm/30067136299....m1439.l2649

Edit: I know the eBay links are probably a pain, so I'm including pictures that the original seller has posted.

Edited by Stutzman108
03/05/2012 2:30 pm
Valued Member
Canada
115 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  4:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Terry-T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IF it didn't have the damage (besides the hole it looks like the obverse has other problems), I'd say VG-8 reverse, G-6 obverse, but with the damage, forget about any numismatic value; silver value only.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5920 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  4:31 pm  Show Profile Check SHAFTA9a's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SHAFTA9a to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It, at one time was a 'holed' coin, shame, silver value only.
True North
Valued Member
United States
140 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  11:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stutzman108 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see, being still somewhat new at this coin thing I thought the damage was insignificant if it were small like that hole. Ah well, I guess it's a hard learned lesson to stay away from problem pieces... it's best I learned this time before I made an even costlier mistake I suppose.
Edited by Stutzman108
03/05/2012 11:20 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5920 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  06:21 am  Show Profile Check SHAFTA9a's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SHAFTA9a to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I thought the damage was insignificant if it were small like that hole.

That hole is not that small.

Quote:
... it's a hard learned lesson to stay away from problem pieces...

Yes, true, if you come across coins like these no matter how rare the date, they are only good for melt.

I have a 1893 Canada ten cents (flat top 3) in about EF condition but, with a hole that was probably used for a necklace at one time.
True North
Valued Member
Bulgaria
180 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2012  6:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add goldcoin10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
only silver Value
Edited by goldcoin10
03/31/2012 6:12 pm
Previously Ousted
Canada
398 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2012  1:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coingirl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
silver value any way you look at it...
or a filler , waiting for better..
Valued Member
Canada
365 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2012  01:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kitkat1858 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I saw an 1873 5 cent coin from Newfoundland on eBay last week that sold for $75 U.S. + shipping... and it was bent and holed. I suppose there are some exceptions...as always.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05