Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

EE1972(1980) Ethiopia Silver S20B YofC Piedfort

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
10 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  02:02 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Bullionaire to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hello, I just got this coin(1980/EE1972 Ethiopia Silver 20 Birra Year of the Child Piedfort KM-P1) back from NCS/NGC.... it was originally holdered in an older NGC slab @ PF68 UC. I decided to re-submit it because it was inundated with horrible spotting and ugly toning. I assumed it would downgrade, but to my surprise....it came back in the same grade minus the spots and toning and now with stunning eye-appeal!

The original Mintage of these was 39 total pieces, of which only 16 are known to survive. I do know that the only specimen to grade higher, is in an older NGC PF69 holder, it was previously a PF67 UC, but was re-submitted and jumped to a 69. It is currently a part of a collection belonging to prominent Egyptian collector. The coin was recently on display in China at a major show/convention. Just like my coin, it is riddled with spots and is horribly toned....maybe he should send it to NCS?

If anyone here has ever had(or still has...?) this coin, I'd love to hear your comments.

Thank You-

United States
10 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  02:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bullionaire to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry for posting too many images, it was unintentional and I don't know how to edit it as I am new to the forum.
Valued Member
Australia
262 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  05:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nicwinner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
that's a extremely nice Ethiopia coin, how much you cost?
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  06:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bullionaire to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I purchased the coin as part of a collection from an estate sale in Portland, Oregon USA. I'm not sure of the exact value.... the Krause World Book lists the value at around $300.00 USD, but Krause valuations are notoriously out dated and almost never reflect the true monetary value. I've had several offers above $3000.00 USD, but I'm not in a hurry to sell. I think eventually I will end up trading for something I need.... a trade seems to be more likely and appropriate at the moment. Some friends at Stacks & Bowers have tried to encourage me to submit the specimen to one of their World Coin auctions.... I think for the moment I'll wait.
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  03:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bullionaire to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm going to assume that there are few in this forum who are experienced and knowledgable.... This is not a good sign.

Very disappointing.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1610 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  10:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Apollo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm going to assume that there are few in this forum who are experienced and knowledgable.... This is not a good sign.

Very disappointing

Woah, there sir. Just because some people didn't feel like posting or didn't see this post, doesn't meen they aren't experienced or knowledgeable. Every single person on this site is wanting to share knowledge and gather it. Everyone has experience, why do you think they joined this site.

My man, if you keep saying things like that, you aren't going to get very far in this forum.

It is a very nice coin, unfortunately the only site I find referring to it is almost never updated on prices and doesn't post through grades of proof.
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  01:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bullionaire to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah.... That was just stupid frustration on my part. My apologies. I need to be patient. Again, I'm sorry.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1610 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  02:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Apollo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No need to worry.

Do those offers still stand. Though some Krause prices are outdated, they are still relatively approximate to the values of the coins. I believe $3000+ dollars would be a good price to sell it at.

Though it is high graded and a quite nice coin, it is not a rare coin. The mintage is of 16000, which is quite high for a proof. I own a proof with a mintage of 10000 (same metal, weight, grade) and it only worth about $85-$100. And another proof with a mintage of 4000 worth only $4.

So, as I said, if people really offered you over $3000, you should take it, but if you feel like keeping it, it's a nice coin and will go up in value over time.
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  06:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bullionaire to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Apollo:

"Though it is high graded and a quite nice coin, it is not a rare coin. The mintage is of 16000, which is quite high for a proof."

Read my original post and pay close attention to the NGC label. The total Mintage for this coin is 39 as in thirty-nine. The regular NON-PIEDFORT, KM-54 does indeed have mintage of 16,000....but clearly, my coin is NOT the KM-54, but the KM-P1.... In the Krause World Book, you have to look under Piedforts(or as NGC misspells it, 'Piefort").... there it will show you the correct Mintage.

And Btw, I've now had someone offer me Five 1 oz. 2012 China Gold 500Y Pandas for this coin... I haven't done it....yet. I need to do much more research.
Valued Member
United States
228 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  1:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vb3347 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can't really add anything about this coin, I have never seen one in person or at auction. Just wanted to point out that the latest 2012 Krause values the coin at a ridiculous $150 (meaning it went DOWN in value from the $300 in your edition).

I think it's very difficult to put a value on this coin since it is so rare and also from an "outside-the-box" country. It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay, the sky is really the limit since the chances of another showing up at auction are virtually nil. My advice? Wait until you find someone that is willing to overpay just to get their hands on it.
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2012  02:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PrinceAvi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WOW! That is one RARE coin! I am actually very familiar with this legendary Piedfort. The info in the original post is correct: 39 minted, with MAYBE 16 survivors and I believe that number is too high. This coin is currently overlooked and highly UNDERVALUED is the States, but in European, African and Middle Eastern countries it is highly coveted. It will soon have it's day here in the States too. I know serious collectors and investors overseas that would pay a healthy price for this awesome coin! Thank you for posting it here, very nice!
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2012  02:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NaturesRomance to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PrinceAvi, just out of curiosity, if someone was in possession of this coin, what might it fetch in the European market?
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Shop at PDS Coins!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05