Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Modern Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

What's so special about the 1952 proof set?

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Newmismatist
Valued Member
United States
193 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  12:20 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Newmismatist to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

APMEX lists the 1952 proof set at $279.99. Sets from other years, ranging from 1956 to 1960, range in price from $29.55 to $44.99.

What's so special about the 1952 proof set? Low mintage?

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  12:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, the 1952 proof set has a much lower mintage than the 1956 to 1960 sets.
http://lynncoins.com/set_mintages.htm
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
11076 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  12:53 pm  Show Profile Check biokemist6's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mintage was a mere 81,890 but the 1950 and 1951 sets had even lower mintages(<60,000) and are more valuable.
ANA R-3151318
Pillar Of The Community
United States
551 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  1:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Teach to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1950 and 51 sets are going for more than $500 these days.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3144 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  2:09 pm  Show Profile Check CoinsKelly's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add CoinsKelly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I feel that would be on the high side of a 1952 proof set. My son inherited one and I have been tracking it at $200 or under (it's not for sale, it was his father's). But I know the 1951 and earlier really start to rise.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2972 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  2:56 pm  Show Profile Check smokeriderdon's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
50-55 all command hefty premiums as they have relatively low mintages. I will say this, if you can snag a 56=60 for that price range, do it.
"Our lives are summed up by two dates separated by a dash mark. Make the most of that dash." Battalion Chief John "Mac Daddy" McDonald. R.I.P.

It is could've, would've or should've, not could of, would of or should of.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8687 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  11:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Up through 1955 proof sets were mainly purchased just by collectors. In late 1956 it came to the general public's attention that for just $2.10 sets purchased just a couple of years earlier were already bringing a SIGNIFICANT premium. In 1957 EVERYONE jumped on the bandwagon and ordered proof sets. (People went as far as to take out loans in order to buy sets in anticipation of selling them for a profit and repaying the loans.) Mintage went through the roof and by the end of the year the 1957 sets were selling for less than issue price. It was years before the 57 set rose above issue price. (Which was odd because within two years proof set mintages again rose above the 1957 level. Of course on the other hand the 1956 to 64 sets have never been much above melt since then while the older sets have constantly moved up.
Edited by Conder101
03/08/2012 11:45 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1633 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  7:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add M0nks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
im still missing the sets below 1956 those are definately on my wish list
Valued Member
United States
193 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  7:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Newmismatist to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I recently bought a 1961 proof sete because I thought it would be cool to have a set from the year I was born. Reading these comments, I'm glad I wasn't born ten years earlier!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4633 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  6:37 pm  Show Profile Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't mind buying a 52 set.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Valued Member
Canada
88 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2013  10:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add macdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Re: 1952 mint state coins in cardboard holder

I have a set that I thought was a mint set but was informed that the six coins may be specimen coins because the Canadian Mint did not start issuing mint set until 1954 will that make them more valuable?

I am a newbie to all of the jargon so not too sure of myself yet
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4633 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2013  11:26 am  Show Profile Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I wouldn't mind buying a 52 set.

My wife got me one for my birthday.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3177 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2013  11:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add upstate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
cool, Happy birthday!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4633 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2013  1:48 pm  Show Profile Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, the bad part is its my birth year.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2604 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2013  4:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DNA to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Yeah, the bad part is its my birth year.

Could be worse, you could have been born in a Special Mint Set year. Or 1971-1991 with Clad Proof Sets only...
GO: (Coin Collecting is) the only hobby that when you are broke you still have money.

DNA: "When you pay with cash, you KNOW when you're broke."

markn's US Silver Coin Melt Value Calculator
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3144 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2013  5:07 pm  Show Profile Check CoinsKelly's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add CoinsKelly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
you could have been born in a Special Mint Set year

I know that pain
Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

To know who you are, you have to know who you were.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05