Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Very nice Hadrian sesterius

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
4266 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  10:03 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add VisigothKing to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Not mine; a trusted dealer of mine has it listed for sale. But wow! I'm going to need one of those galleys to navigate the river of drool I'm making lol

I'm not advertising, just thought I'd share this great-looking coin.

"For as long as Belisarius lives, it is impossible for him to relinquish this city." - Roman general Belisarius, responding to a group of Gothic envoys, during the Gothic siege of Rome in 537 AD

Attributed coins in my collection so far - Roman: 238, Byzantine: 34, Post-Roman Germanic: 21
Edited by VisigothKing
03/07/2012 10:07 pm
Learn More...
United States
13750 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  10:28 pm  Show Profile Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a fantastic coin, I love coins with Gallies. Care to say what he wants for it? Not that I would be able to afford it.
Edited by echizento
03/07/2012 10:29 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
9665 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  10:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The execution of the portrait is excellent too--that celator was first-rate; this coin is art!
Formerly jwharper
Learn More...
4253 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  10:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I dunno what this coin might be selling for, but take a look at it's sister coin:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HADRIAN-Ses...12210wt_1163

Out of my league

Pillar of the Community
United States
4266 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  10:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add VisigothKing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Echizento, he is selling it for $3,502 shipped.
"For as long as Belisarius lives, it is impossible for him to relinquish this city." - Roman general Belisarius, responding to a group of Gothic envoys, during the Gothic siege of Rome in 537 AD

Attributed coins in my collection so far - Roman: 238, Byzantine: 34, Post-Roman Germanic: 21
Pillar of the Community
United States
2131 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  11:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jessvc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a very nice coin, wish I could afford one of those.
Learn More...
United States
13750 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  11:15 pm  Show Profile Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Figured it would be up their, way out of my league. Maybe someday after I hit the Powerball numbers.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
8864 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  02:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I want it!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1541 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  08:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dougsmit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry but neither dealer is allowing for the rough fields on one side or the other of their coins. The coins are nice but not in the multiple thousands league that a really nice one would require. Examples:
http://www.acsearch.info/record.html?id=121138
http://www.acsearch.info/record.html?id=189513
http://www.acsearch.info/record.html?id=201066

If smooth sharp and clear with good surfaces is $1000 to $4000, a coin with poor fields should be under $1k. Looking over the acsearch records it is obvious that high grade sestertii of Hadrian are not rare and perfect ones are available. It is good to dream about nice coins you can't afford but you might as well dream about the really nice ones at the same price.
Pillar of the Community
United States
565 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  12:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MartiVltori to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Doug, I wouldn't pay more than 6-700 for that coin.
--------------------
Joseph
--------------------
>>>My Gallery<<<
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1618 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  2:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Glancing at the picture, my first thought was that he probably wants $1000 for it.
If saw it at a show and it looked good in hand, I would offer $850.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
9665 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  3:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can see Doug's point about the fields--that helps me evaluate ancients better.
If I would seriously pay a premium for this coin, I would want the reverse detail to better match the obverse.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1618 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  4:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add t360 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Keep in mind that the fields on many of the "perfect" examples have been smoothed (often noted in the descriptions), and may have looked more like this one before they were worked on.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05