Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Modern Coin Grading

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

1922 no d LWC

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
briank
Valued Member
United States
182 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  1:24 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add briank to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Trying to learn the use of my "new" camera. Looking for grading opinions on my 1922 no d. Could have had a lot better lighting.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
5203 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  4:00 pm  Show Profile Check SHAFTA9a's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SHAFTA9a to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice no 'D' great looking coin... VF-30 at least, I'm saying, couple little spots of verdigris, other than that nice.
Valued Member
United States
182 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  4:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add briank to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, it was in a collection I bought snd the kicker is I didn't even know it was in there when I bought it. I basically paid spot price for everything and got lucky and found some goodies in there. This was in an old Whitman under the "broken d" spot.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
585 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  5:05 pm  Show Profile Check reupman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add reupman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks better than vf? doesn't it? I mean isn't the no d a crummy strike to start with?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5014 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  5:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add D0ubl3Eagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow that is a great find! Assuming that it is genuine, which it appears to be, I would give it a EF-40. I would get this coin authenticated just to make sure it is the real deal.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
659 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  6:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Peter4805 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great purchase! I would give it at least a VF-35. It looks like it might be (though not entirely sure) the scarcer "strong reverse" variety on top of it already being a scarce coin.
Valued Member
United States
182 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  6:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add briank to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am planning on it , along with some other coins. Just trying to figure out which service to use, either NGC or PCGS. I'm fairly certain its the real deal. Came from an old collection in which the gentleman had some books that were still in production (Mercurys). So I believe he put this in the book in the mid 1940's. That sure would be sweet if it hit an XF40!
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  9:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lucburm1999 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
awesome find :)

my first instinct was VF-30 but I have little experience with coins that have such a difference from obverse to reverse

Pillar Of The Community
United States
10885 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  11:31 pm  Show Profile Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WOW! NICE! Looks to be completely authentic, it has all the right things about it....I don't even need to see the date up close. Definately send that to NCS for conservation then to NGC for grading....no brainer. That's a $2000+ coin slabbed IMO.

EF-40 (easy), close to AU....it might get 50.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
VERDI-CARE™ All Metal Conservation Fluid
http://www.verdichem.com
Edited by BadThad
03/08/2012 11:32 pm
Valued Member
United States
182 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  07:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add briank to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
BadThad, can you tell me more about NCS or can I find them pretty easily? And have you used them before as far as letting me know about cost? Thanks!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1234 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  09:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add timsumrall to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
http://www.ncscoin.com/
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4060 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  10:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ValiantKnight to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF-35
"A poor Roman plays the Goth, a rich Goth the Roman." - Theodoric, King of the Ostrogoths

Attributed coins in my collection so far - Roman: 224, Byzantine: 21, Post-Roman Germanic: 17

Ancient Coins for Sale
Pillar Of The Community
United States
10885 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  10:55 am  Show Profile Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
BadThad, can you tell me more about NCS or can I find them pretty easily? And have you used them before as far as letting me know about cost? Thanks!

Don't worry about the cost, this is a rare and valuable coin and it should be professionally conserved and slabbed. If you need to, slab it and then sell it. I'd give you a grand right now as it sits.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
VERDI-CARE™ All Metal Conservation Fluid
http://www.verdichem.com
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1998 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  11:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am with Bad on this one. I bet it does grade AU. Get the conservation done and then to NGC.

My bid is $1100. :)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1657 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  2:17 pm  Show Profile Check cwb8539's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add cwb8539 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's got all the right markers for Die Pair #2.
I'll go with XF45.

Make sure you post some pics for us after you get it slabbed.
Valued Member
United States
182 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  4:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add briank to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So you guys/gals don't think conserving would hurt the value then? I guess they use their judgement and if they feel it would grade lower then they don't do it. Thanks for the opinions, I'm gonna hold on to it for at least ten years, then retirement here I come! I'll definitely keep the CCF updated on when it gets back.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05