Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Why should/shouldnt you collect Proof coins?

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
India
78 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  10:12 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add drkrish21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I request all senior members as well as newbies to express their views on collecting proof coins...

Is it worth the money spent?

Thank you

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1727 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  10:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coincollect1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ive bought only 1 proof set and its the new 1812 set from Canada. The reason I bought it is because of the penny. Because it is made out of silver and gold plated. But other than that I don't collect them. I would rather buy a different thing like a coin or a key date
Pillar of the Community
United States
1340 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  10:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Drsandman2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm on the hunt for my first "real" proof coin. An Indian Head cent with the orange peel affect. The only proofs I will be collecting are classics.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1610 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  10:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Apollo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't mind proof coins and find most of them very nice. It doesn't alter the original coin or it's design (like when people color coins), it's made by polished dies. Same thing with specimen coins.

I must have over 70 proof and specimen coins up to now, I have 6 proof sets and 3 specimen sets.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
5081 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  10:49 pm  Show Profile Check trout1105's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love proof coins they are stunning, they are also the best of the best that come out of the mint.
The extra care and detailing on these coins really shows up in the end product

Aim to Enjoy life. You only get one shot at it
Pillar of the Community
Australia
829 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  11:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ausjack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
they are really nice and I like them a lot and they also take a way better pic, but when talking to a dealer in lismore the other week he told me that they take to long to gain value so it depends if your wanting to buy because you like it or for profit..so it's all up to you He said mint or baby sets out here are the go for gaining value.
Valued Member
United States
333 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  11:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coinut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is it money well spent? Well I guess it depends on what strikes your fancy. If you like the different look of proof coins and collect them, then sure.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
5081 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  11:17 pm  Show Profile Check trout1105's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
but when talking to a dealer in lismore the other week he told me that they take to long to gain value so it depends if your wanting to buy because you like it or for profit..so it's all up to you He said mint or baby sets out here are the go for gaining value.

It's never been about the money with me. its all about the coins.
and mint sets are my favorite things to open up and put in my albums.
I can't see the point of having the sets intact and not being able to access your coins due to them being imprisoned in plastic .
They may well have more value as a set but that is not the way I collect coins
Aim to Enjoy life. You only get one shot at it
Edited by trout1105
03/10/2012 11:18 pm
Pillar of the Community
Australia
829 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  11:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ausjack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is an aussie post of some proofs that members have, hope you like them as much as we do

http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...IC_ID=111181
Valued Member
India
78 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  11:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add drkrish21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@trout

I have similar view as you...

I am quoting Peter , another coin community member

" Is a perfectly healthy and complete baby in any way better than a teenager who has payed outside, tired, scratched, bleeding at the knee and hungry or an old man, whose lifetime of hard work shows on his face? Shouldn't character, experience and having stories to tell account for something?"

Nice right? :)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1099 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  12:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mitchhailey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The only proof set I've bought that was worth its salt was a U.S. 1939 set that I gave my grandpa (that was his birth year). Otherwise, I can take 'em or leave 'em.

I don't even bother looking at the proof set from my year, 1980, 'cause its not much to look at, but I will drive an hour away to see my grandpa's!

Its all a matter of taste and budget however. I've seen some GORGEOUS classic US proof coins that I would really want, but most of the recent stuff has no character.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1340 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  02:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Drsandman2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally, I would never buy proof sets from the mint. For example, my dealer sells US clad proof sets for 3-6 bucks a pop. From the mint, they were several times that price. So for collecting modern proofs, my suggestion would be to collect up to a couple of years ago. For instance, many of the silver commems that are produced by the US mint sell for spot 3-4 years after their release.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
9042 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  03:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Collect both.
They both have a legitimate part in a collection.
How you organise them in your collection is up to you.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
585 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  08:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add turtleoverhead to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Proof was never intended for circulation and in my opinion it isn't a real coin. The main purpose of Proof coins is to lure out money from collectors.
Valued Member
United States
259 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  09:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chasinva69 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
just one guy's opinion, but proof coins are just gilding the lilly. They are nice looking, but cost a large premium that isn't worth it, IMHO.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3629 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  09:48 am  Show Profile Check muddler's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I enjoy collecting proof coins as well as circulating coins. I stick mostly to silver and have all silver proof sets from 1992 to date, all modern commemorative dollars, and ASE (except 1995 w) mostly purchased from the mint. I would like to add an Indian Head cent, Barber half, and Mercury dime to my set.

The draw back I have with the proofs is they are fragile and stains, prints, and fog are often a detraction to the original beauty of the coins. With that I have kept my modern proof in the capsules provided by the mint and have not found a display method that I can utilize. They are stacked in their government boxes and are cumbersome to view.

You cannot deny the beauty of a frosted cameo proof coin.

Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05