Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need your aesthetic opinion / Thanks

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
37 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  6:43 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add JDcompy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

So, I've been cataloging foreign currency lately and I've been using the 3/4 pocket BCW plastic holders, and they have a spot for a little paper insert to be placed in. I think it'd be a nice idea to slip in a little blurb about the bill: country, date, amount, etc. But I'm not sure how I want it to look or in what order.

So far, I'm thinking..

Country

Date

Amount

But I also kind of like

Country

Amount

Date

What's your vote?

I know it seems trivial but I'm kind of OCD and whichever I choose is how it's going to be.. for pretty much ever :)

Or, any other ideas?

Thanks so much!

United States
37 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  7:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JDcompy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Honestly, no need for any expertise- just which do you think looks better?
Pillar of the Community
Australia
9041 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  7:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have been into World coins for decades, which includes all centuries, ancient to modern. With modern coins, the most important information is date acquired, and amount paid. Some people also like to include a note on the grade.

Sometimes, much more information is required, and a full description is needed, which can defy any method of showing the data in a consistent way.

Coins can be like people, and can be very different one from another.

Some people I know defy description!
United States
37 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  8:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JDcompy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's really interesting! I never thought to include the date that I got the coin/bill or how much I paid for them!

Do you find that information important because you like to compare the value of the coin/bill at present to when you purchased it?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2605 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  8:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add svslav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you're mixing up a couple of things. One deal is to catalog it in your computer/gadget, and there you can put whatever info you desire, including how many miles you drove to the transaction place. And the good thing about computer you can swap places for different types of info till you like what you see.
Another deal is to " slip in a little blurb about the bill" in the display page (how I understand the OP's question), and the price you paid is not only unnecessary there, it could be damaging - attracting unwanted attention.

I personally would go country - denomination - date, but you could make a couple of different inserts and "try them on", see which one looks better to you.
United States
37 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  9:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JDcompy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Svslav, yes, I mean to slip in an insert on the page.

Thanks for your input! It really helps!

As I noted when I introduced myself a couple of days ago, I've never really had a chance to talk to other people who collect coins/currency and getting other ideas and opinions is really great!

Thanks!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1359 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  10:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you use 2x2 holders you can write what ever you want on them.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13039 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  10:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Way, way back I first made an Excel spread sheet for my coins. I HAD columns for type, date, mint, grade, present value, price paid, date purchased, where purchased and lots of other things, even location such as in an Album, 2x2, etc.
Originally all sounded like being important. Then one day I realized that with virtually thousands of coins, all this made no CENTS, so to speak. Since never planning on selling any, why worry about date purchased or from where. So those got dropped. Then I wondered why worry about the original cost? So those were dropped too. I could put the type of coin at the top of page so that column now dropped. Where they are kept, dumb so that too was dropped.
Eventually I realized that all such info is nice but sort of a waste of time so I then just kept track of what was in Albums and only date, mint, grade.
All I'm saying is to sit down and ask yourself what are you getting into. Keep any records that you think are important. And mostly remember that once you attain possibly thousands of coins, your book keeping will be possibly more massive than the coin collection.
just carl
United States
37 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  12:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JDcompy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A lot of good points Carl!

I can't ever see myself selling my collection; and I can't imagine these foreign bills really ever being worth very much. I think the date, country, and amount will be enough info for these.

But, in kind with an earlier reply, I've added where/when I acquired the tokens/smashed pennies that I have onto the 2x2s :]

Thank you all!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
9041 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  01:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just carl is right. If all of the info relating to the coin is written on the 2 x 2, and if you need to re arrange the collection, all of the info relating to the coin goes with it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2605 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  02:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add svslav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, but!

Quote:
Need your aesthetic opinion / Thanks

I've seen someone on the forum did it with a label maker. The more you put on the 2x2, especially in my handwriting, the messier it will look.

And how did we get on 2x2's? I haven't seen notes small enough for 2x2's.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
9041 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  08:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
YOU WRITE VERY tiny.

I agree the presentation can be a little messy when noting information for ancients, but at least that information can be retained with the coin.

Modern World coins, (which I collect as well), present far less of a problem.
Valued Member
Norway
497 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  1:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Litotes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would prefer Country - Amount - Date. Why? You will eventually get notes with no date, and if so it looks better to leave a gap (or ND, if you prefer) lower down. Looks better to me, that is. Since you asked my opinion.

I would also leave room at the bottom for that extra piece of information you later decide you want to add anyway, or special info about an unusual note. For instance "Made of polymer".
Pillar of the Community
Australia
4411 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  8:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I had to choose one of the two methods I would go with country - denomination - date

Valued Member
United States
132 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  10:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TonedMo87 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I absolutely hated the way any kind of paper looked with a coin. Since my collection is so small, I just use the mylar SAflips with a $30 impulse sealer to make a permanent seal on the coin. I cut the SAflips in half. Organized by country/type in my little binder and I keep a record in excel. I think it looks great. As you can see, I have not ran into a coin yet that I cannot seal!

Pillar of the Community
Australia
9041 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  12:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With World coins, on most of them, the date is not worth noting, because it is self evident on the coin. With Arabic or Japanese coins which are dated the script for the date needs to be translated, and the translation noted.

Same applies to the country. In most cases, information on the coin makes it's country of origin obvious, but in other cases, the country of origin may not be obvious at all.

Ancient coins, are for me are in just an earlier epoch in a collection of World coins. In most cases, the exact year of minting cannot be known, and can only be tied down to a period of years, which may be a little as two years, or more than 100 years. The approach to providing information that relates to a particular coin has to be varied.

Due their style, a Roman coin may be obvious that it is so, but with ancient Greek coins, issues are by cities, not countries. A proforma which asks for a country of origin is just not relevent. In most cases with ancient Greek coins, there is absolutely no indication of a date, and a period of issue which may cover many decades, has to be inferred by reference to a atandard text on the subject.

Hammered and milled coinages (which I also collect), are another area of numismatics which would require a different approach as to how information is provided.

Coins can be issued by traders (usually tokens) cities, countries or empires.

Coins can be like people, and can be very different one from another. It is that individuality that can help to make the study of ancient coins so interesting. That does not infer that the study modern coins is less interesting.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05