Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Modern Variety and Error Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

2009 Penny Unknown Error?

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
chefhemi13
Valued Member
United States
86 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  6:16 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add chefhemi13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I found this coin looking through my change jar earlier today. What type of error is it and is it of any value?

Pillar Of The Community
United States
3904 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  6:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you post a closer image? It looks like a partial collar strike. It's a keeper for sure, but I don't know the value. Maybe $5-10?
Edited by CaptainFwiffo
03/15/2012 6:34 pm
Valued Member
United States
86 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  6:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chefhemi13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a more side view of the coin. Sorry for the LQ pictures, they are from my phone.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
10536 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  7:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If that's a true rail road rim error I think it would be worth more then $10.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Valued Member
United States
86 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  7:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chefhemi13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What exactly is a rail road rim error and how do I tell? And what exactly would the price be? Sorry, I am an amateur coin collector for sure! I can try and post better quality pictures if it helps.
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
2340 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  7:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've never seen an error like that so I will check back to see what the experts say.

As for what it might be worth -- like everything else, it is worth whatever somebody is willing to pay for it. There are probably a few error coins that are worth a bit - notably the 1955 penny with the doubled date - but mostly I see them sell for $10 or less.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2224 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  7:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coppernickeldaddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmmm...no idea. I'll be watching this thread to see what Mike Diamond has to say.
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
2340 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  7:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
By the way, 'railroad rim' is also known as 'partial collar' and you might have better luck searching with that term.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
857 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  8:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jasper62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes definitely a keeper.I've seen very few errors for 2009
Valued Member
United States
86 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  10:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chefhemi13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've looked up both "railroad rim" and "partial collar", and I'm almost posotive that's what it is. But I can't seem to find anything on the value of this error, I don't know if any of you have seen partial collar coins sold?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3904 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  11:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It can be hard to place a value on errors because you have to find somebody who's interested in it. However, errors like this seem to be scarce in recent years. The fact that it's a 2009 may also add to the interest, and your coin looks like an attractive example from the pictures. Recent completed eBay auctions suggest something around $10-15 (these were generally older coins.)

There are a couple different kinds of partial collar errors. The most common is a tilted partial collar. That's where the coin is a bit slightly off center or something while struck and when the collar comes up, it's cockeyed. The rim of the coin will be properly formed on one side, but not the other, and there will be a sorta diagonal transition between. Here's a picture of the edge of a tilted partial collar dime I found.

Another kind is where the collar comes up only part way, but pretty much is even around the whole coin. The result is a coin that's sorta shaped like a train wheel, hence "railroad rim". This is much less common and more valuable. Yours looks like this type. Here's a picture of a nickel I found that is a railroad rim to compare to your coin.

Valued Member
United States
86 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  11:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chefhemi13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wish I had a camera with the ability to take high quality close ups.. But my penny definitely looks like the nickel, but almost more pronounced than that. It runs around about 3/4 the coin's diameter and juts out about 1mm.

Here's another picture, even more so of the side.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1092 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2012  08:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suspect this coin was altered outside the Mint. Since the middle of 2005, all business strike cents have been struck with an inverted die setup (reverse die as hammer die). Therefore a genuine partial collar error should show the flange extending from the reverse face, not the obverse face.

Of course, there's always a chance the Mint pulled an old Bliss press out of retirement, but why they should have done so is unclear.

In the end, this coin would require close study.
Error coin writer and researcher.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3904 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2012  09:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe it was mounted in a bezel at some point. Is there any exposed zinc along the edge? Does the coin show signs of damage like scrapes or scratches?
Valued Member
United States
86 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2012  12:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chefhemi13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a little better pictures that might help with determining wether or not it happened in them mint or post. (at least I hope these help )

It doesn't look post mint though, because on the so called "partial collar" (flattened piece) there is almost a very miniscule waffle pattern that I cannot pick up on camera. Although what do I know.. I am a total amateur!
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Here are the pictures!

Pillar Of The Community
United States
3904 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2012  1:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see exposed zinc on the edge in those last couple p ictures, which means it must have happened post-mint. Maybe somebody modified the coin on a lathe? The better question is "why?"
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05