Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1899 Morgan Dollar

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2012  1:46 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add phritzg to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

While organizing my collection, I noticed I have an 1899 Morgan dollar in pretty good condition. Can anyone give me an approximate grade for this coin?

Pillar of the Community
United States
550 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2012  2:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tatt2ed13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey bud ,

Im not able to grade it , But just alil FYI .. In the classic coin section there is a "classic coin Grading" section that would be best for you to get help on grading of your coin ..

another useful site for pricing is www.numismedia.com - just look on the left column once you are on the site and Click on *collectors Prices* then find your coin and search for its price .. easy to use once you get on a few times ..

but you may get some help here , sorry im not able to help as im still working on my grading skills also ... :)

to the community and good luck ..

very nice morgan BTW ..
\m/ phil \m/
Edited by tatt2ed13
03/16/2012 2:47 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3173 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2012  4:32 pm  Show Profile Check CoinsKelly's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add CoinsKelly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

And also, "good" is actually a lower grade here!
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2012  5:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add phritzg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have much better pictures, but I had to keep them under 100 kb to upload them here. The coin looks as good as some of my MS 62 and 64 silver dollars. I apparently bought this sometime in the mid 1990's for maybe 30 bucks or so. At today's prices it might be worth $200 or more. I did weigh it on a digital scale (after it was calibrated) and it weighed exactly 26.73 grams. I will show it to some local collectors and dealers to see what they think.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1269 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2012  10:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add southsav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF

Based on the photos, which a a little bright, it appears to be at least a 63 with a possibility of 64. More photos would help.

Something seems to be going on with the chin and cheek. If those are hits/scrapes/bag marks, it probably would not make 64 as they would be detracting.
Valued Member
United States
286 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2012  7:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Piffin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Poor photos, but this looks like a coin worth sending in for grading IMO
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2012  10:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add phritzg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry about the photos, the coin looks much better in person. I took it to a nearby dealer (his website is Spotlight Coins) and he said it was about an MS 62, but cautioned me about the cost of sending it in for grading. I haven't decided yet.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3633 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2012  11:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is no reason to dump money into it unless you plan on selling it in my opinion.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2012  1:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add phritzg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wasn't planning to have it graded, not only because of the cost, but because it somehow seems more of a real coin by not being sealed in plastic.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3038 Posts
 Posted 04/22/2012  12:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add aladinslamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU58 nice coin!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05