Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Commemoratives

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Commems Collection: 1935 Old Spanish Trail

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
commems
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1903 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2012  4:06 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

For today's installment, I have one of my first upgrades from my MS-63 set, a 1935 Old Spanish Trail half-dollar in PCGS MS-65.

The coin is an "original white" coin -- no dipping in its past -- with nice cartwheel luster and no real chatter in the usually marked up wide-open obverse and reverse fields (in my experience, these coins can come really marked up). The coin does have a mark to the left of the cow's right nostril (from the cow's perspective), but the overall clean fields overcame the mark when I was deciding whether to add it to my collection.

Not one of my favorite designs -- I find it rather generic -- but whom am I to criticize L. W. Hoffecker and his design talents -- he was only trying to make a few bucks! (Sarcasm intended!)

As a type, it is one of three classic US commems with a mintage of 10,000; the Hawaiian and the Hudson are the others.

Enjoy!

1935 Old Spanish Trail - Obverse

1935 Old Spanish Trail - Reverse

Collecting history, one commemorative coin (or medal) at a time!
Original content (c) Commems, 2012-2014
Edited by commems
03/21/2012 10:58 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3438 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2012  4:28 pm  Show Profile Check muddler's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another fine example and one I am still searching for.
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
21011 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2012  6:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice!

I am enjoying this daily treat.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Valued Member
United States
158 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2012  7:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chewyduck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice coin
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3321 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2012  10:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm really enjoying these classic commemoratives in these classic PCGS holders. What a great group of coins! Keep 'em coming....
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4117 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2012  10:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another lovely example ... I am growing to become a fan of your 'eye' for these ... as we all should be given the fabulous coins that you are showing.

This coin certainly falls into in the 'minimal' design category ... compares IMHO to the 1925-S California as a design that tells the story with minimal embellishment.

Not saying that I agree with L. W. Hoffecker motivations ... and his greed to issue this limited mintage example has been well documented.

Lovely example commems ... I am enjoying all your posts.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5075 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2012  9:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add D0ubl3Eagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2012  10:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Simple design, but still nice looking.
United States
21011 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2012  1:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Simple design, but still nice looking.
It reminds me of a Statehood Quarter.

Of course, if the Statehood Quarters looked like this, we could have had fewer complaints about them.

By the way, I personally like the Statehood Quarters (although the ATB quarters are much nicer).
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2012  2:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was thinking of the Montana state quarter, when I first saw it:
http://www.quarterdesigns.com/propo...montana.html

Sometimes a simple plain design is a nice change. They just can't do it too much, or they look bad.

And the ATB series is many times better than the state quarters. I just wish the FR treated them the same for circulation. It is a real shame they aren't circulating.
United States
21011 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2012  3:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I just wish the FR treated them the same for circulation. It is a real shame they aren't circulating.
I agree.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05