Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Opinions on this red IHC

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1037 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2012  10:40 pm Show Profile Check specksynder's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add specksynder to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I'd like some feedback on this coin I bought. It has some toning on it and it's lustrous, but it seems "off." The reverse looks excellent in hand, the obverse, however, looks "bumpy." The diamonds on the hair ribbon are almost too distinct, but the LIBERTY on the head band seems mushroomed.

What do you guys think? I got it for a nice type set I'm trying to assemble.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3904 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2012  10:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe I'm way off, but I think that coin has been cleaned or polished, and the diamonds have been tooled.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1037 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2012  11:00 pm  Show Profile Check specksynder's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add specksynder to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you're right on, wifo. The corners on the diamonds really seem to suggest tooling. I'm thinking about sending this puppy back.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
9710 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2012  11:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those diamonds look wonky, and I see more of a "shine" than cartwheel.
All the little nicks have beveled edges--metal was removed.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2132 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2012  11:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is it just me...or is there some doubling of "ONE CENT" on the reverse?

Unfortunately, this one has been retoned....too much of the brassy orange look.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1037 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2012  11:38 pm  Show Profile Check specksynder's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add specksynder to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've sent a "return request" though I'm pretty certain they'll deny it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3904 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2012  11:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The doubling is longacre doubling.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1037 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2012  08:02 am  Show Profile Check specksynder's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add specksynder to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I send them my photo of the coin, and they said they'd take my return. cool!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3179 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2012  11:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add upstate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can see wear on some of the high spots on the reverse, the liberty and associated lines are
chewed up and worn and the original surface is gone.
Good move sending it back.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3206 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2012  4:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add murrellington to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Well, I send them my photo of the coin, and they said they'd take my return. cool!

Awesome! Yeah I had the same problem with a coin I bought on eBay. Looked BU in pictures but arrived at my house XF and cleaned. I don't know why sellers do this because they get many returns. Maybe they are just waiting for someone who keeps it. Anyways, I ended up just buying a nice red indian from a member here. I've never been wronged while buying on CCF!
Valued Member
United States
162 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2012  4:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ZiggyZ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"I don't know why sellers do this because they get many returns. Maybe they are just waiting for someone who keeps it."

I bet they don't get as many returns as you'd think - many people are not as well informed and/or have access to a great resource like Coin Community.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05