Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Classic Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Barber pattern dollar coin....

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
rynegold
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2012  08:42 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rynegold to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I'm new to the forums here and not posted much yet but I do come across a lot of interesting stuff,like this....

A 3 pic slide show:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/190898...763915/show/

Its a judd 996 I think, Barber pattern dollar in silver. They only made 24 of these I believe.
But the owner and I couldn't come to a price. He seemed to think it would bring in excess of 9k (which is true by past auction prices of slabbed MS62+ coins!...) even though I showed him how it had been "wiped" at some time in the past and the fields were rather undesireable. None the less, a really cool coin to see up close and have right there in you hands!

regards, m

Edited by rynegold
03/24/2012 08:45 am
Valued Member
United States
266 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2012  09:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add f16 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
that is a nice coin.Welcome to ccf lets go buffalo!
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
2989 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2012  09:23 am  Show Profile Check CoinsKelly's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add CoinsKelly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Oh boy, that is rough. That stike was amazing, I wonder who thought that was a good idea.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
696 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2012  09:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coindog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love those barber designs. Very cool.
ANA member #3169039
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3961 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2012  3:07 pm  Show Profile Check Jaobler's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very exotic coin, rare and valuable despite the impairment. IMO a coin like this should be slabbed for authentication purposes if not for grade. Maybe the seller doesn't believe in slabs, or maybe he realizes it would likely go in a "Genuine" slab at PCGS or a Details slab at NGC and therefore would be harder to sell for $9,000.

I agree it looks like the "Standard Silver Dollar" Judd 996 but according to Heritage that pattern has a reeded edge. Judd 997 is silver with an identical design but a plain edge so I would assume that is the correct ID for this coin. Heritage sold one graded NGC PR-64 Cameo for $9200 in 2009. The coin you posted is a Cameo but can't compare to the Heritage coin in quality due to the hairlines. IMO the price should be a couple grand less than what the seller is asking.

There were a whole boatload of 1870 patterns struck, in silver, copper, and aluminum, in dollar, half dollar, and quarter dollar denominations, with plain and reeded edges. For a real challenge try assembling a complete year set!
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2012  9:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rynegold to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I think he, the owner realizes he needs to slab the coin in any event. As for price, I offered him 3k for it. Pinnacle out in Oregon (?) said it's a hard sell for high prices when you've got problems like this. But what a coin eh?

regard,m
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano Glass
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05