Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What to start next

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  12:29 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Polo4121 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hello there I just joined and this is my first post. I have been collecting coins for a few years and have a nice collection going. I have recently been going for higher end stuff ( ms Morgan's and gold) I'm wanting to know what peoples thoughts are on what are good coins as investment. Also should I join NGC or PCGS and but raw coins to send in and get graded or just buy already graded coins. Any suggestions would be great. Also how many posts do I have to have to start buying coins on here? Where do I go to find coins to purchase?

Thanks

Pillar of the Community
United States
4236 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  12:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add amida17 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF! You'll get a variety of opinion here for sure!
I'll answer one question..

Quote:
Buy / Sell / Trade / Want List Rules (1/19/2012)

250 quality* posts and membership for 90 days are required to; post items for sale, post items for trade, or reply to a want list.

100 quality* posts and membership for 21 days are required to; post links to sales on external sites such as eBay or eCrater.

50 quality* posts and membership for 14 days are required to; buy items, respond to a trade, or post a want list.

All buying, selling, and trading must be done in the appropriate forums, not the discussion forums.

No "make an offer" sales are permitted. Firm prices only.

Charity sales of any type must have prior approval from the Staff.

All transactions made on or initiated from the forum are 100% the responsibility of the members involved. Coin Community is merely a venue for the transaction and assumes no responsibility whatsoever. Trade, buy, and sell at your own risk.

Posting or sharing the personal information collected during a transaction with another member without express permission from that member is a significant breach of trust and security and is strictly forbidden.

The Staff reserves the right to pull any buy, sell, or trade reference at any time for any reason without consequence.

The Staff reserves the right to ban any member from buying, selling, or trading at any time for any reason without consequence.

These rules apply to everyone and are not negotiable. Any attempts to circumvent these rules will be dealt with swiftly and very likely with consequences.

*Quality post: This is entirely at the Staff's discretion. Running through a bunch of topics and responding with "cool", "nice find", "thanks", and similar short no-brainer responses are not considered quality posts. Don't laugh, we've had new members do this then go straight to the sell section and post a link to their eBay auctions. Post counts may be edited by the Staff at any time without warning.

"...being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead." - Vonnegut
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  12:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Polo4121 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you. I'm a buyer more than a seller so about 49 more posts to go! And Ecrater, I've never heard of that site I'm going to have to check it out. I'm sure my wife will love another venue for me to buy coins through
Valued Member
Serbia (Srbija)
443 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  04:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mvojnovic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF

As far as witch coins you should invest in Im afraid I cant help you much unless you are from Europe. If your from America you should wait for members from that area to respond since they are more informed about current US market prices. Btw what do you collect, only US coins or something else?
"Navikli smo da, naime, vladamo tuđim, a ne drugi našim ,u to smo sigurni dok bude ratova I mačeva"
Daurentije
Pillar of the Community
United States
3294 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  08:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nod2003 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coins make a tough investment. The is because for the most part, coins are not very liquid. Consider that if you have 100 shares of company XYZ and want to sell, you just do a couple mouse clicks (if it is an online brokerage account) and your 100 shares is now $2000 cash. By the same token, if you have a coin that has a book value of $2000 it can take quite a while to find someone willing to part with $2000 for it. There is a lot more headaches and a lot more uncertainty with the coin investment then with the stocks.
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  10:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Polo4121 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I have focused my attention on u.s. coins but I'm always open to Sugestion....

Nod I actually just started investing in stocks about 4 months ago but was thinking about pulling everything out and just buying coins with the money :)
I like action and get impatient. A buddy of mine suggested playing the option market. I may look into that before pulling money out. Unless a nice coin catches my eye first. How long have you been buying coins? Which ones have moved up the highest percent if you don't mind me asking
I am not only into coinage as an investment I love the hobby and very rarley ever sell just stack. But I would love that if one day the became a need I would make and not just break even
Pillar of the Community
Egypt
3470 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  1:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EgCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1727 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  1:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coincollect1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Canadian silver dollars not to many. Some a pretty cheap and others are expensive
Pillar of the Community
1283 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  1:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add throwbackid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Buy American silver eagles, Maple Leafs, 90% US silver coinage, Silver Dollars, bars.

When you are buying for bullion content, IMO you have about as a liquid of an asset as you can get.

I can take my XXXX+ oz of silver to a group of probably 12 different dealers in the metro area, half of which will pay cash. That is pretty liquid in my book.

Buy silver, get it at a good price. Never pay more then spot for 90% unless they are silver dollars. If you look around you can get some eagles at $2.50 over and those seem to be the best bet. I often find Engelhard or JM 10oz for $1 over spot.

When you meet your post requirements to buy/sell/trade shoot me an email I am always buying/selling/trading I love flipping coins around till I acquire my perfect set.
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  3:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Polo4121 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coincollect I will look into the Canadian dollars I looked a little while ago and saw it was. 9999. I didn't look at prices on any though
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  3:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Polo4121 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Throwback I'm going to save you and ill defend hit you up when I get my post requirment.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12695 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2012  10:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

1. Don't buy coins for an investment. If your into coins for investing, just not a good idea. What you buy now may well be worth less tomorrow.
2. Why do you want to join PCGS or NGC now? Do you already have coins of value that you think are worth that cost? Wait for when you KNOW you have coins of value.
3. For now you should possibly purchase a Red Book by Whitman Publishing and look through it for ideas.
4. As to where to purchase coins. In order, Coin shows, Coin clubs, flea markets, possibly some on line dealers, a coin store last.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2012  10:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Polo4121 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have the Red Book already I read it a lot. I have been collecting for about 3 years. I have some flying eagle and ih pennies that my grandfather gave me in a dansco album. The first 10 are all in MS condition very beautiful coins. I was under the impression that if they were graded they may be worth a little more as then there is no question what the worth it. But after reading on here the past week I've learned all grading companies aren't equal and that ungraded may be just as nice as graded.
Valued Member
United States
132 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2012  1:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TonedMo87 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1. Don't buy coins for an investment. If your into coins for investing, just not a good idea. What you buy now may well be worth less tomorrow.

I agree on the investment part. Too much uncertainty in any required field except for the silver content.

As far as joining PCGS or NGC, unless you have lots of money at your dispense, and literally tons of coins, I think joining either IMHO isn't worth it. I only deal with a handful of coins, and I prefer some of them raw. If I did stumble upon something that absolutely needed to be slabbed, I have a dealer within 5 miles who is part of both, who can ship them off for me if need be. That would be my best bet.

As far as places to purchase coins, I stick to eBay or local coin shops and/or shows. Thats about it. Best of luck!

-Dan
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2012  5:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Polo4121 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't local places charge a lot to send coins in?
Valued Member
United States
223 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2012  7:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add COMET to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To tell you the truth the stock market and coins are similar when it comes to investing, you have to know what to get into though. Coins, although are hard to make investments in are not impossible. Personally I think there are two methods.

Junk silver coins, if you can buy large quantities for spot price or under that could be considered a good opportunity for investment.
High grade key date coins, and I mean really high grade like MS67. Could be a chance for investment but the cost and risk may not be worth it.

And finally, I would start with raw coins and learn to grade them. Also learn how to spot counterfeits, the last thing you want is to get taken.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05