Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

As close to a Treasure find as I have gotten...

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1381 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2012  8:33 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Darth Anarchus to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I work at a gas station for one of my jobs, and I see many strange things, people, and many crazy stories... And I have many times found a silver coin here and there, but this is crazy... One of our regular customers came in towards the end of my 3rd shift duties, and was dead broke and needed gas, so he gives me $16 dollars in Ikes and SILVER HALVES... $6 face in halves, and 10 Ikes... I honestly was completely dumbfounded, and almost thought he was joking... So I felt really stupid and even asked if he really knew what he was doing, and sadly he knew... But to make a long story short, I gave the poor guy $10 extra out of my pocket, which was all I had at the time because I honestly felt bad for him, even though I personally felt like doing a backflip... I shared the Ikes with a fellow collector at work, partly because these showed signs of circulation and none were silver, and I gave her and my manager a 40% silver half each, and now have 9 new silver halves, 3- 1964s', and the rest 40% silver, although no 1966's or 70-D's... There is very little circulation wear on them, but they look like they were kept in something that allowed them to rattle around a bit, although I sure as heck will not complain about these beautys...Now's time for pics
Some very nice original toning...

And for my favorite, in the right light it has hints of red, and purple...

Edited by Darth Anarchus
03/28/2012 8:35 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2450 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2012  9:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

The coins have all found a good home thanks to you. And it was nice of you to give the customer the extra cash.

Pillar of the Community
United States
745 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2012  9:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Penny4Me to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
you got like $70 in Silver, you could have at least filled his tank.
I fell bad for him too, he should taken them to one those Gold buying places and got at least 16x face for the 1964's.
Bring some extra cash to your gas station job next time, in-case he comes back with more silver...
be fair and at least give him 10x face for 90% silver; that's buying silver at less than 1/2 of spot!
Edited by Penny4Me
03/28/2012 9:23 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1381 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2012  10:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Darth Anarchus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
... but the good thing is that he is a regular customer... Even though I work for a corporation, I look after my own... It made his day when I gave him the $10 out of my pocket, but I'll make his week when I see him next... Karma is a good thing...
Pillar of the Community
United States
745 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2012  10:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Penny4Me to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe he has more silver and needs more cash, maybe you can make a deal with him to buy at least at 12x face for 90% silver...it's a WIN-WIN for both of you! Much better than him getting 50 cents for $11 Silver.
These darn $4+ gal gas prices are going to crash us & our $ again, like back in 2008-2009
Edited by Penny4Me
03/28/2012 11:01 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
659 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2012  02:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Peter4805 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coins and a nice gesture on your part!
Valued Member
United States
78 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2012  04:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add corey9493 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice job on giving him a lil extra!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1099 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2012  04:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mitchhailey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You did more than you had to by giving him the extra ten. Good on ya. He knew what he was doing...

A guy I know works at a gas station here in WA. A guy came in and slapped down 40 Morgans and said he needed 40 in gas on pump such-and-such. Then the guy says; "Those are old, you know."

This stuff happens all the time so you did more than most by giving him YOUR money. The good karma will come back to you.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2012  08:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Glad to hear you gave him extra. Don't forget about him next time he comes in. It is better to give than receive and you got both, so good things happen to those people who do things like that. Thanks for sharing the nice story.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1683 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2012  08:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter53562 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Maybe he has more silver and needs more cash, maybe you can make a deal with him to buy at least at 12x face for 90% silver...it's a WIN-WIN for both of you! Much better than him getting 50 cents for $11 Silver.

True that this offer is better than face value for silver, but since the person looking to buy the silver knows what it's actually worth wouldn't it be better for him to offer a more fair price? Dealers here are buying at 18.5 to 19.0 times face, so why not match that or do a little better? I'm just saying this because I know people on here would be up in arms if a dealer ofered 12x face knowing there is nearly $12 in silver in a 90% half. I understand what you are saying about it being a win-win, but there is no way I could offer someone 12x face in good conscience.
Pillar of the Community
United States
501 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2012  08:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Billie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

C'mon now, he didn't have to give him anything extra or even discuss it with him.

Darth was not out buying silver; he was working!
Valued Member
United States
208 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2012  12:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rewster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with giving him more than face value, and I have done the same in that situation, but if you get a silver quarter back in change at the store do you tell the manager? Or if you find a nice almost new lawn mower at a garage sale for $20.00, and you know it retails new for $250.00 do you offer $180.00?

I'm not saying you are wrong to want to give 18x-19x, in fact I think that is very nice of you. I'm just saying I think what Darth did was very nice as well, and was above what he had to do.
Edited by Rewster
03/29/2012 12:12 pm
Learn More...
United States
21409 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2012  12:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice!
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Pillar of the Community
United States
507 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2012  2:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Deltron to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What Darth did was the right thing to do. I know most people out there would just keep their mouth shut and buy the silver for face from the register. He at least threw this man a ten, who was well aware of what he was doing. Pretty sad that people are knowingly spending their collection cause times are hard. Kudos to you Darth and nice score !
Pillar of the Community
United States
1683 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2012  3:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter53562 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
m not saying you are wrong to want to give 18x-19x, in fact I think that is very nice of you. I'm just saying I think what Darth did was very nice as well, and was above what he had to do.

Since you mentioned the 18x-19x I am assuming you were saying this in response to my post. And my post was in response to the guy who suggested he ask the fellow if he has more silver and to offer him 12x face, which is well below what a dealer offers. Yes, what Darth did was fine and he was nice to offer him an extra $10 out of his pocket. But that's not what I am referring to in my post. That's why I quoted the person who suggested he offer 12x face for any additional silver the guy may have, and didn't quote the original post by Darth.
Valued Member
United States
208 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2012  4:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rewster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CoinHunter53562,

I just assumed if you had a problem with 12x face on 90%, you would really have a problem with 1.6x on a 40%. As you point out though, you were only refer to the poster who brought up the 12x on 90%ers. My apologizes for assuming.

You do bring up a good point about people on this forum would be up in arms at a dealer offering 12x face value. But, personally, I take more issue with dealers offering this than an individual. As dealer will turn around and sell it and most individuals will keep it. Now I'm not saying that gives ANYONE the right to take advantage of the ignorant, but I probably would not have a problem with an individual offering 12x face.
Edited by Rewster
03/29/2012 4:51 pm
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.94 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05