Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Commemoratives

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Commems Collection: 1936 Long Island Tercentenary

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
commems
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1770 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2012  9:32 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Tonight we head out to "the island" for a quick stop before heading to New England via a 1936 Long Island Tercentenary half dollar in PCGS MS-65.

The coin commemorates the 300th anniversary of the first European -- Dutch -- settlement on the island in 1636. The obverse features conjoined symbolic portraits of a Dutch settler and a Native American from the Algonquin tribe. On the reverse is seen a Dutch sailing ship of the era. The coin was designed by Howard Kenneth Weinman, son of A.A. Weinman (he of Walking Liberty half-dollar and Winged Liberty dime fame).

By the time the Long Island commemorative was authorized, Congress had become acutely aware of the abuses being perpetrated on collectors via the various commemorative coin programs. So, the coin's authorizing legislation mandated that the coin could only be dated ‘1936' regardless of when struck and that no coins could be struck more than one year after the enactment of its authorizing Public Law. There would no Oregon Trial scenario played out for the Long Island half dollar.

The coin's cartwheel luster is unbroken on both sides and it is free of significant detracting marks.

Enjoy!

1936 Long Island Tercentenary -- Obverse

1936 Long Island Tercentenary -- Reverse

Collecting history, one commemorative coin (or medal) at a time!
Original content (c) Commems, 2012-2014
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3341 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2012  09:34 am  Show Profile Check muddler's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another beauty, do you have the full type set?
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
20365 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2012  11:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice!
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn about my new avatar and my old one.

>>> Chicago Blackhawks - 2013 Stanley Cup Champions <<<

Did you know that our members sell on eBay and that there is a better way to search it?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2012  3:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a really nice looking coin, but the details look so soft, like a weak strike. Is that intentional for that design?
I've been collecting, since 1975.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3927 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2012  9:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another outstanding eye-appeal coin commems ... lovely visual impact and a tough coin to find indeed in this quality.

Your set is proving to be exactly what I am chasing as well ... quality coins with minimal toning, full luster and strong strike.

I second muddler question ... you are showing these one at a time ... so ...

Quote:
do you have the full type set?

I'll handle the next question from my personal experience ...

Quote:
but the details look so soft, like a weak strike. Is that intentional for that design?

I have held in hand well over 100 of these Long Island halves ... and have never found a single one with any detail in the hair on the obverse portraits or in the rigging on the reverse sailing ship.

I've come to the personal conclusion that this Howard K. Weinman designed coin is exactly what you see here in this lovely example ... a somewhat mushy looking coin even in gem state.

Last ... gotta enjoy the older PCGS holder that truncated the coin name ... my earlier PCGS MS64 had the same spelling ... Long Islan

David

Edited for spllneging
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Edited by nickelsearcher
03/29/2012 9:06 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1770 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2012  9:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
muddler: Yes, I have a complete type set plus the five major varieties. Most of the coins are graded MS-65 to MS-67, but I do have a handful of coins in MS-64 for which I am looking for upgrades. Since I'm trying to post one coin per day, I'm afraid you'll have to put up with my posts for another month or so!

wquinn: I agree with nickelsearcher, the Long Island is just not known for its design details. In hand, my coin shows more detail in the hair than is shown in my compressed image, but there isn't much more to see on the ship's sails. At least it has nice luster!
Collecting history, one commemorative coin (or medal) at a time!
Original content (c) Commems, 2012-2014
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3341 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  12:58 am  Show Profile Check muddler's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will enjoy the parade, keep them coming!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5014 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2012  4:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add D0ubl3Eagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice coin!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love Coins$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05