Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

US Banks that sell coin rolls without account?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Canada
48 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2012  2:45 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add mokpie to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hi all,

I'm heading down to Buffalo for the weekend and I'm wondering if I'd be able to pick up some USD coin rolls for CRH.

Being a Canadian, and not having a US account anywhere, would I be able to? Do any of the banks sell to people without accounts? Are there any alternatives?

Pillar of the Community
United States
1991 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2012  3:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've found that many banks will sell rolls and even boxes to me without an account. I've had them even order boxes for me. There is no list of banks that will do that. Credit unions seem to be picky though. The tough part is dumping without an account. The only tried and true way to find out if they will sell to you is to walk in, and ask. I don't mention that I'm a no-account.
Oldest dug 2014: 1851 LC
Oldest dug: 1758 Reale
Minelab Explorer 2
Valued Member
United States
341 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2012  3:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add trent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Credit unions seem to be picky though."

Sometimes instead of just picking up $20 - $25 in cents and nickels from one credit union branch I'll drive a route to pick up smaller amounts at 3-4 branches.

Last time I did this:
Branch 1: "May I have your member number please?" So I gave it to her.
Branch 2: "You're a member, right" Answering 'Yes' was enough for her.
Branch 3: [Looks at me strange for a second, and then complies] to my polite request
Branch 4: [All smiles, no questions asked]

My point is that it really varies. All with in the same credit union I had 4 different responses to the same request ($6 in pennies, $4 in nickels)

That usually goes smoother due to bypassing the awkward 10 minute delay where the tellers/head teller need to do all sorts of trades, paperwork, etc to compile a box from the safe. Going for low amount which might be in their drawers is much easier.

I only know about my own personal CU though (ESL In Rochester, not in Buffalo)

While we're on this topic, I've been meaning to go over to Canada for a box of pennies and maybe some nickels. Any tips/suggestions on how the banks over there would handle it?

Pillar of the Community
United States
1635 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2012  7:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add M0nks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yea it basically all depends, if you ask for small change rolls they usually wont ask, large boxes I find they all ask me, one bank the teller was very nice, she was going to give me a box of dimes but then the manager goes and tells her to make sure you ask for the account number
Pillar of the Community
United States
2224 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2012  9:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coppernickeldaddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I get my rolls from all over all of the time; rarely asked about an account. I agree that it is best to ask for smaller amounts, as having the teller get up to get a box sometimes requires paperwork to be filled out, and this will many times require an account number from you. Smaller amounts the tellers usually have in the drawer, and you have a greater chance of getting CWR's that way.
Pillar of the Community
United States
945 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2012  3:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add baysinger626 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just went to 6 banks on my lunch hour. I asked for $5 in pennies from each and only one asked me about an account. I said I didnt have one but she gave me the coin anyay.
The US bank actually offered me a whole $25 box since they had one on the counter that they hadnt opened yet. They are also ordering me a $500 box of halves for free :) Definitely be extra polite to tellers and dont ask for too much at once.
If they ask if I am a customer and I say no I like to ask if coins would be free if I opened an account. When they say no they usually offer to fulfill my request that one time anyway. I have never been denied coins completely.
Valued Member
United States
120 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2012  1:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add markn984 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I first started roll hunting, I didn't have any accounts with the local banks. I tried buying boxes from three different branches. The first two didn't ask if I had an account. The third did ask. Like everyone says, it varies.

You asked for alternatives, and there is one that I can think of: Go to a bank that has a coin machine and ask to buy bags of coin. One of the local banks here has a coin machine and told me that they will gladly sell bagged coins to non-members. It is a win-win for them. They don't have to deal with it taking space in the vault until the pickup, and they won't have to pay any additional fees to their carrier for counting (if applicable).

I know the bags of pennies are $50, and I'm pretty sure the bags of halves are $1000.

The other thing I'd suggest is that you tell them your circumstances. Tell them that you are a Canadian just down there for the weekend, and that you collect U.S. coins, to which you have limited access in Canada. That will let them know that it is a one time thing, and that they will never see the coins again. I think the teller would be far more likely to help you out.

Also, as suggested above, if you only want a few rolls, I doubt anyone is going to ask. They'll just grab them from their tray and give them to you.
Pillar of the Community
United States
945 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2012  2:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add baysinger626 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have noticed that a request for 10 rolls or less isnt usually a problem.. Even if they have to go to the vault to get them. Ask for 20 however and you get the 3rd degree. I try not to visit the same bank more than twice a week. Unless I go early in the day then again later in the day. Either a new shift starts or they have forgotten you.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.02 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05