Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1964 Kennedy Accented Hair

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
834 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2012  8:57 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add bishftl to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Accented hair and missing some hair.

Total Halves Searched = 591,880
Kennedy 40% = 1254
Kennedy 90% = 159
Proof = 249
Walker = 57
Franklin = 52
Commemorative = 15
Pillar of the Community
United States
6091 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2012  9:00 pm  Show Profile Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a CAMEO too!
oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"

"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145

"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
Pillar of the Community
United States
745 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2012  10:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Penny4Me to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, but what makes a half have Accented hair?
is it only on 1964 Proof?
Pillar of the Community
United States
6091 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2012  10:31 pm  Show Profile Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, only the first strikes had this "Accented Hair".

"One of the most notable varieties of the series is the 1964 "Accented Hair" Kennedy half dollar. The variety only exists for the proof version of the coin. Many collectors seeking a complete set of proof coins will include this variety in their collection.

In the first year of issue for the Kennedy half dollar, the design was modified shortly after production began. It has been rumored that the modification came at the request of Jacqueline Kennedy who disliked the details of the hair above her husband's ear. An alternate theory suggest that the modifications were done to facilitate production. Whatever the case, the heavy incuse lines in Kennedy's hair were removed, creating a low mintage variety.

It has been estimated that 1% to 3% of the total mintage of proof 1964 Kennedy half dollars are of the accented hair variety. This would suggest a total population ranging from about 40,000 to 120,000 coins.

Besides the appearance of Kennedy's hair, there are other diagnostics which will distinguish the variety. On the obverse of the coin, the "I" in "LIBERTY" had a truncated lower left serif as compared to the full serif on the regular version. On the reverse of the coin, one of the rays appearing between the eagle and scroll will have breaks at the area of the stars. No breaks appear on the regular version. Additionally on the reverse of the coin, the "G" from designer's initials "FG" will not have a horizontal serif on the variety. The images above show the details of the "accented hair" variety compared to the regular version of the coin.

Both PCGS and NGC attribute the variety on 1964 Proof Kennedy half dollars. The coins trade for a premium above regular versions. The Proof 1964 Kennedy half dollar with "accented hair" can be difficult to find with cameo or deep cameo contrast."

http://kennedyhalfdollars.net/1964-...half-dollar/

Edited by oih82w8
04/05/2012 10:31 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
6091 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2012  11:01 pm  Show Profile Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

http://pcgscoinfacts.com

Edited by oih82w8
04/05/2012 11:04 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
745 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2012  11:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Penny4Me to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
GREAT INFO!
i just check my 1964 Proof Kennedy half dollar... no "Accented Hair".
Pillar of the Community
United States
834 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2012  11:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bishftl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Kennedy 40% = 1254
Kennedy 90% = 159
Proof = 249
Walker = 57
Franklin = 52
Commemorative = 15
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12095 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2012  02:20 am  Show Profile Check coop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is a finger print on the center of the bust.
Richard S. Cooper

Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, I've completed an Educational DVD of these. Become a supporter of this site, send me your address and I will send you a DVD. Many have loved this so far. I just completed version 11. The most updated version yet. So if you haven't got a copy yet, it is a good time to do so. I also have a DVD and one for windows media player. The one for media player is nice for your computer as it is clearer in images. Let me know which you would prefer. If you are a new member and wish the DVD, make your donation and have them pass on to me where you would like this shipped. Most have really appreciated this to increase the coin knowledge. Thanks for your support!

Pillar of the Community
United States
834 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2012  02:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bishftl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
no prints, just a bad angle for the photo and the texture on his neck.

does anyone have an opinion on the original topic I posted?
is the missing hair under the R a common thing?
Kennedy 40% = 1254
Kennedy 90% = 159
Proof = 249
Walker = 57
Franklin = 52
Commemorative = 15
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12095 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2012  10:42 am  Show Profile Check coop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good. It appeared that way on the first image. Some finger prints can be removed when caught early. If they are left for a long time on copper cents, they are for the rest of the coins life. (Salt from sweat.)
Richard S. Cooper

Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, I've completed an Educational DVD of these. Become a supporter of this site, send me your address and I will send you a DVD. Many have loved this so far. I just completed version 11. The most updated version yet. So if you haven't got a copy yet, it is a good time to do so. I also have a DVD and one for windows media player. The one for media player is nice for your computer as it is clearer in images. Let me know which you would prefer. If you are a new member and wish the DVD, make your donation and have them pass on to me where you would like this shipped. Most have really appreciated this to increase the coin knowledge. Thanks for your support!

Pillar of the Community
United States
3589 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2012  09:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Indian1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reverse attributes if interested.
Notice the multiple broken rays and the plain G
These must be present along with the other two obverse
attributes(hair/broken serif) This reverse can be found on other years also.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3589 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2012  09:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Indian1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
By the way, those cowlicks (x-tra hairs) are the norm. on this obverse. Can be seen on others also.
This is one I picked out of a proof set.

Pillar of the Community
United States
834 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2012  05:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bishftl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
can anyone tell me from the image in my first post if this is possibly an error, the missing hair below the "R"?
Kennedy 40% = 1254
Kennedy 90% = 159
Proof = 249
Walker = 57
Franklin = 52
Commemorative = 15
Pillar of the Community
United States
6091 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2012  09:32 am  Show Profile Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The "missing hair" is a "minor" thing, here is the comparison images from PCGS;

http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/Coin/D...6801?redir=t

Edited by oih82w8
10/17/2012 09:33 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3589 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2012  11:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Indian1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The so called missing hairs are normal for this obverse.
See my pic. of obverse above in an earlier reply. (cowlick:)
Out of the 5 AHV's that I have found all of them have had the same.
Also on 3 of them those lines were present on the obv. face area.
Not prints or damage but on the die itself. The variety is known as FS-401 by the way.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3589 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2012  11:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Indian1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Something else I just thought of.
Might be worth checking out furthur.
On the Rev. i.e.: broken rays, I have seen
3 different types. One single break on one ray,
2 breaks on a single ray and breaks on two of the rays (one each) This is referring to the AHV only by the way.
Possibility that at least three different/altered dies were
used on this varieties reverse.
Food for thought.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 5.03 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05