Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Rare Canadian 1987 Figure Skating Olympic Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Canada
2 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2012  10:46 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add twalters to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hello
I am new to the forum and this is my first posting.
I bought my mother a $20 silver figure skating coin when they were issued. I think I may have bought it from a Hudson Bay store. I do have a bad memory so keep that in mind. I have done some research and now know it was a mule coin. On the front is the Queen's head (sort of frosted) with Elizabeth 11 and Canada 1987 written on the front. On the back are the figure skaters with Calgary 1988 and again 20 dollars written on the back. No other lettering. The coin has a mirror effect on both sides. It is in a plastic case, never opened and in a green velvet box with the Olympic symbol on the top. There is also another green plastic case for the velvet case again with the Olympic symbol on it Does anyone know more about this coin? Traci

Edited by twalters
04/16/2012 10:51 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2558 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2012  12:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CC-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The mule of this coin would be no edge lettering. Meaning that the words "XV OLYMPIC WINTER GAMES - JEUX OLYMPIQUES D'HIVER" don't appear on the thin outer edge of the coin.

The mule retails in the plus $700 range.

this video shows the lettering starting at about the 30 second mark
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45tSLg0udA8#!

Good find.
Edited by CC-Ottawa
04/16/2012 12:59 pm
Valued Member
Canada
207 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2012  1:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hobbes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah I a got a hockey version of this way back when and getting into coins more recently found out about the edge lettering. Unfortunately mine has the lettering :( it is 1oz sterling (.925) silver though.

whole set here:
http://www.apmex.com/Product/26859/...ofLike_.aspx
Canada
2 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2012  4:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add twalters to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks HOBBS and CC Ottawa. Now I just need to find a buyer.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1793 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2012  11:44 pm  Show Profile Check kuh_85's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add kuh_85 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it's missing the edge lettering then I'll take it! :-)

Denomination: $20 (silver) and $100 (gold); Composition: Silver coins: 92.5% silver, 7.5% copper. Gold Coin: 58.3% gold, 41.7% silver; Issued from Start of Olympic coin program in 1985 to series completion in 1987. Olympics held in 1988.

This set of coins was an adventurous program by the Government of Canada and the Royal Canadian Mint to raise funds in support of hosting the Calgary Winter Olympics and giving aid to those Canadians participating in the games. In similar style to the Montreal Olympics, the RCM would introduce coins with a face value that had never been used before. The series was largely sold by subscription, with the public being asked to pay in advance and receive two coins every few months. The set was a little cheaper to buy this way and also came in a free 11-coin case. Those who did not wish to pay in advance could also order whichever coins they wanted at full price and received their coins in individual boxes.

The coins were the first in Canada to have lettering impressed into the edge of the coin. Said lettering was 'XV OLYMPIC WINTER GAMES - JEUX D'OLYMPIQUES D'HIVER.' Many of the coins are known to exist without this lettering. All types are quite rare and command high prices when available. The coins issues towards the end of the series are considerably scarcer as for one reason or another many purchasers did not complete their sets.
Edited by kuh_85
04/16/2012 11:47 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Shop at PDS Coins!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.02 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05