Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Alaska State Quarter error...

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
984 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2012  1:48 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add chzman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I am new to the forum and was looking for some input on this coin that I found going through about 30 dollars worth of loose change. I enjoy the artwork and history behind these coins but I am inexperienced at what to look for while cherry picking, something I can afford to do. I know that there were some Alaska State Quarters that were minted with an extra claw, the coin I have looks like two extra claws. Would someone please take a look at this coin and offer thoughts.

Thank You
Chuck

Happy Hunting!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2012  1:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

It is hard to tell from your photo, but it is possible.

Here is one listed on a web site, just search on extra claw:
http://hermes.csd.net/~coneca/conte...entfinds.htm

Basically it is a die chip between 2 claws.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
984 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2012  2:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chzman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the reply wquinn!

I will try getting better pics but here are two others maybe they are better.

Happy Hunting!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2012  2:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yours looks like it has 2 die chips between the right most 3 claws. It might be better for you to compare your coin to the web site to determine it.

Maybe yours has 7 claws?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11167 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2012  2:26 pm  Show Profile Check biokemist6's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

None of the Alaska quarters were minted with an "extra" claw. The claw portion of the die design is a point of inherent weakness subject to repeated chipping so you can find many AK quarters with die chips in the claw.
ANA R-3151318
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
984 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2012  2:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chzman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gotcha, thank you both!
Happy Hunting!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageShop at PDS Coins!SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.02 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05