Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Worlds Smallest Coin?

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
73 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2012  5:33 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add 1inamillion15 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hi guys I was wondering what's the worlds smallest coin?

also where could I find one?

Pillar of the Community
United States
842 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2012  5:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ancientcoinguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Smallest modern coin or smallest coin ever struck? If you are looking for the smallest coin ever struck I can guarantee you that it will be an ancient.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
3352 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2012  6:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stevex6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"My" two smallest coins are 11mm and 12mm in diameter (that's pretty wee!!) ... they may not be the world's smallest, but they're my smallest!!

The first one is an ancient (good call, ancientcoinguy)
=> MACEDON EION AR Trihemiobol
Ca. 460-400 BC.
0.87 grams (just a wee lil' thing)
Obverse: Goose standing right, head left; lizard above, H below.
Reverse: Quadripartite incuse square.
only 12mm in diameter!!

The second coin is even smaller!! ... and it is also totally cool!!
=> it's mini gold caribou quarter!

2010 25 Cent .05g Gold Caribou
=> The smallest gold coin ever offered by the Royal Canadian Mint

Specifications:
Item number: 111502
Face Value: 25 cents
Mintage: 15,000
Composition: 99.99% pure gold
Weight (g): 0.5
only 11mm in diameter!!
Edited by stevex6
05/21/2012 6:12 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
3352 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2012  6:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stevex6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
http://www.hindu.com/2004/08/02/sto...05820400.htm

=> but apparently these dudes have me beat, hands-down!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2269 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2012  6:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Spider5689 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Country of Liberia produces a coin that they claim is the worlds smallest gold coin. I own one myself and I can tell you it is smaller than a Type 1 US gold dollar which is 13mm. If I were going to guess I would say it is probably 11mm in diameter.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
9159 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2012  6:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have an old edition of Krause which illustrates a

1/512 of a Mohar, otherwise known as a JAWA, it weighs .01 og a gramme.

I also remember noting this coin in an older edition of the
Guiness Book of Records.
Valued Member
United States
73 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2012  7:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 1inamillion15 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds cool anyone have pics of these little things?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1163 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2012  8:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Broken-Coin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's funny, today I uploaded some of my odd coins to photobucket and find this thread this evening... These are the smallest coins I have left, I used a LWC to compare the size of the gold fanams... I used an electronic gold tester and all these coins tested at 14KT... At one point in time I had over 100 of these and was selling them for ten to twelve dollars each when gold spot was under $400.00 a ounce...

Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
817 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2012  8:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe that dougsmith has, somewhere on his site, pictures of Greek fractional obols that were something like 3-4 mm in diameter and less than 1/10 of a gram in weight. Which is... well, tiny.

...Coincidentally, anyone knows the size of a Californian fractional gold quarter? It might be well in the running as far as moderns are concerned. Also: Maundy penny.
Valued Member
United States
73 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2012  11:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 1inamillion15 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Broken coins those are really bueatiful coins, where could I find some and for how much?
Pillar of the Community
Australia
9159 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2012  04:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually, I visited a dealer today and saw a reasonably small coin for sale:
A silver 1/20 of a Karshapana of ancient India, about 250 BC.
About 3mm in diameter, and weighing in at a minuscule .015 of a gramme.

Question: What is the smallest currently circulating coin?
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
817 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2012  04:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Question: What is the smallest currently circulating coin?

Well, if you accept "being used as currency in some places due to the EU economical crisis" as "currently circulating", there's the Spanish 1 peseta at 14 mm diameter (it's also aluminium so weighs well under a single gram - I wonder if it's the world's smallest aluminium coin, though even if it is I doubt anybody would care).

No idea what otherwise (thought it would be the Scandinavian 10 ore pieces but apparently all three of them had since been demonetized).
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2054 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2012  05:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This one is pretty small too...

http://(131231) Not Allowed - Auto-Removed /countries/display.php?image=img13/138-1&desc=Panama%20km1%202.5%20Centesimos%20%281904%29%20Panama%20Pill&query=Panama

Steve
View my Coins, Banknotes & Tokens (NOW WITH OVER 8400 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 224
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11478 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2012  06:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have three of these that are 10mm piedforts from Panama, when page loads scroll up a littlehttp://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...ly_ID=887370
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Valued Member
Norway
497 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2012  06:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Litotes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a Norwegian coin which weighs 0,06 grams. It is not the smallest in terms of diameter, but it is wafer thin. It is more than 800 years old and to small for me to make a half-decent picture, I am afraid.

The smallest currently circulating coin would not have been a Scandinavian 10 øre, at least not recently, a Dutch 10 cents was smaller (and lasted longer). I am not sure what is smallest now. I will check my albums and see when I come home, perhaps I have a good candidate.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
817 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2012  07:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The smallest currently circulating coin would not have been a Scandinavian 10 øre, at least not recently, a Dutch 10 cents was smaller (and lasted longer).

The Spanish 1 peseta was of course even smaller (ucoin.net lists it as 14 mm and the Dutch piece as 15), and lasted the same time (up until the adoption of the euro in 2002).

As for still-circulating coins - I've checked all of my own albums, of course (incomplete as they are), but couldn't find anything that could realistically be still circulating (except for the peseta as stated above) smaller than our own Russian 1 copeck at 15.5 mm (this relatively tiny coin, with a face value of about 0.03 US cents*, hadn't actually been minted since 2009, and shops almost always round to the closest 5 or even 10 copecks, but the coins are still in circulation and I was able to get a few from a local shop just the other day).

*) Which almost certainly makes the 2009 copeck a record in another field - the least face value/purchasing power of a coin actually minted on purpose (well, a modern coin at least). And by "purchasing power", I mean that while it was theoretically possible to buy something with them, you literally needed pockets full of them to actually pull that off (as even a kilogram of those tiny coins was worth less than a US quarter).
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Shop at PDS Coins!SWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05